Value of: Sam Bennett

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
There is no point in trading Bennett right now. His value is in the toilet. Far better off waiting to see if he can get going for this team than trade him for some secondary assets.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
There is no point in trading Bennett right now. His value is in the toilet. Far better off waiting to see if he can get going for this team than trade him for some secondary assets.
If he gets going, the Flames who are short of scoring depth, keep him. I agree a trade makes no sense though.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
At this point his value is too low to deal. The potential is there, but guessing GMs wouldn't offer up enough until he sorts himself out.

As a leaf fan, would I flip Kapanen for him? Even with a small plus? My guess, Leaf fans say no and Flames fans absolutely say no. I was extremely high on Bennett pre-draft, so I have high hopes, but he needs to figure it out..
The real issue for this deal as a Leafs fan is, where the hell do we play Bennett? In a year there might be a spot, but until then he's either on the 4th line or sitting with Leivo. The advantage Kapanen has, is simply we can send him down and give him top line minutes in the AHL. That isn't an option for Bennett. It is a similar situation that Yakupov encountered in St. Louis.

The teams that should be looking at Bennett are teams currently rebuilding or have a clear spot for him that includes a potential opportunity for top 6 minutes and PP time. That is simply something many teams trying to contend can't offer.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Looked like a top line winger last night.

With Janko, Monahan and Backlund as our top 3 C it makes sense to leave Benny at W. he’s got that speed our forward group needs.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
That's just silly to say

He has no points in 9 games, and can't play at the NHL level. Right now there are a ton of more promising and better players on the Marlies. He might get in on a depth role, but the Leafs have promising prospects as extras in the AHL already as the depth, particularly at wing, is just too much.

If he could play C, that's a different story, but he clearly can't at the NHL level. He for sure would not make the Leafs, even as an extra, and wouldn't crack the Marlies top 6.

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
Leivo is probably a better player than he will ever be already... Bennett might not crack the Marlies with our wing depth.

you are right. Andreas Johnsson, Aaltonen, Kapanen, Timashov, Bracco are likely all better than Bennett is currently. I don't think Bennett is a NHL player. He's not even generating shots at this point.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
At this point his value is too low to deal. The potential is there, but guessing GMs wouldn't offer up enough until he sorts himself out.

As a leaf fan, would I flip Kapanen for him? Even with a small plus? My guess, Leaf fans say no and Flames fans absolutely say no. I was extremely high on Bennett pre-draft, so I have high hopes, but he needs to figure it out..
No from this Leafs fan. Not really sure why a Flames fan would say no.

Flamesfan62

Oct 21, 2016
Prince Edward Island
He has no points in 9 games, and can't play at the NHL level. Right now there are a ton of more promising and better players on the Marlies. He might get in on a depth role, but the Leafs have promising prospects as extras in the AHL already as the depth, particularly at wing, is just too much.

If he could play C, that's a different story, but he clearly can't at the NHL level. He for sure would not make the Leafs, even as an extra, and wouldn't crack the Marlies top 6.
He can play at the NHL level, by looking at his stats you can go ahead and say he can't, but if you actually watched him play you'd know he's doing good and the points will start to follow, especially being moved to the wing. Saying there are a lot more better players on the Marlies is laughable. Yes, Toronto is very deep up front and right now Bennett may not make that team but he would easily be in the Marlies top 6. Saying Bennett sucks because he may not make the Leafs is like saying Zaitsev is a bottom pairing D-man because that's where he'd play in Calgary.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
This thread is why I hate everything about the Leafs.
Because some Leafs fans wouldn't want to do Kapanen + for Bennett? That makes sense.

I've skimmed the thread but haven't seen anything outrageous from Calgary at all.
Sorry, I was referring to the Oilers fan that said "wait till reality hits them", which I assume was some sort of dig against the Leafs or Kapanen, who was mentioned in this thread. My response was wait until reality hits Flames fans that his value isn't as high as it's perceived.

KlefDown

I adore Soli
May 2, 2014
Like how it hit Edmonton and shut their fans up really quick?
yes. exactly like that.

won't be long till you're all calling for Babcocks head and 90% of your team is gone again
idk if you noticed, been like that for about 50+ years now.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
yes. exactly like that.

won't be long till you're all calling for Babcocks head and 90% of your team is gone again
giphy.gif

Please feel free to bump this thread when that happens.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
yes. exactly like that.

Hey man, I'm just enjoying the ride. You are right, not all of us got to experience an amazing team 30 years ago, it's been a lonnggg time for us Leaf fans.

That's why were so annoying. "It's been 50+ years". Doesn't matter how bad or irrelevant the team was, or how good they get, fans will dump on my favorite team. Other teams simply don't get the level of exposure and therefore hate.

So after cheering for a loser our whole lives, we finally get the chance to say I told you so. And man, does it feel good. We'll come crashing back to earth eventually, but until then, I will enjoy this wild ride.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad