Salary Cap: Salary Cap & Roster Building - Locked in until July

Status
Not open for further replies.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Tbh, he might by the only piece that really fits.

They don't need a goaltender.

They don't need any LD; they don't need any PP dmen.

They need forwards of pretty much every stripe other than attacking centre but given Domi's quality and pedigree, they'd be aiming high. Maybe if they had no other offers you could make them go for Rust, Sheahan, Sheary type guys if they really wanted to deal. Depends on how much Tocchet likes them, but its pretty unsure. At which point we're talking Sprong and Kessel that the Pens are willing to move. And it is unknown whether The Phil fancies it.

Of course, this is where I hope the Domi talk comes to nothing... but if they do trade Sprong then, depending on the add, there are worse ideas.

I'm one of the biggest Sprong fans on here and I'd be completely happy if they trade him for Domi. That's the kind of move they should be making if they're moving Sprong, trading a guy from a position of strength (RW) for a similar player in a position of weakness (the good suggestions have been RD or LW). All of these other suggestions don't make more sense than the Penguins trading Sprong or the Coyotes wanting Sprong. The only other suggestion that makes some sense is Rust for Domi, but the Penguins aren't going to trade Rust before they'd trade Sprong and the Coyotes would probably want Sprong more than Rust anyway. Jarry doesn't fill a need for them, Sheary isn't good enough to be the main piece for Domi and they're not going to want late picks or crappy prospects for Domi.

The Coyotes need a shoot first goalscoring RWer, according to their fans. From looking at their roster, I'd believe that too. They had 1 20 goal scorer last year (Keller) and seem like they have a lot more playmaking talent than goal scoring talent. They are also much weaker on RW than on LW, with having Keller, Domi and Perlini as top-9 LWers but only having Fischer and Panik as top-9 RWers. Sprong is pretty much the exact player they're looking for, he's the same age as their core, he's exactly the kind of player they need and he's NHL ready. It also makes a lot of sense for why the Penguins would trade Sprong, because:

1. They're a win now team and Domi is better right now than Sprong
2. Sprong seems to have some issues with the organization, specifically Sullivan
3. The Penguins are already really deep at RW and they have arguably 3 established top-6 RWers
4. The Penguins aren't hurting for Sprong's PP skills because they have Kessel

So I don't really get why people are against trading Sprong for Domi. Domi's the better player right now, fills more of a need and likely won't be on the coach's **** list. Sprong doesn't really bring anything that the Penguins lack or need. Sprong makes a lot of sense to use as a valuable trade chip right now to fill some other need on the team, unless you're trading Kessel this offseason.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
I'm one of the biggest Sprong fans on here and I'd be completely happy if they trade him for Domi. That's the kind of move they should be making if they're moving Sprong, trading a guy from a position of strength (RW) for a similar player in a position of weakness (the good suggestions have been RD or LW). All of these other suggestions don't make more sense than the Penguins trading Sprong or the Coyotes wanting Sprong. The only other suggestion that makes some sense is Rust for Domi, but the Penguins aren't going to trade Rust before they'd trade Sprong and the Coyotes would probably want Sprong more than Rust anyway. Jarry doesn't fill a need for them, Sheary isn't good enough to be the main piece for Domi and they're not going to want late picks or crappy prospects for Domi.

The Coyotes need a shoot first goalscoring RWer, according to their fans. From looking at their roster, I'd believe that too. They had 1 20 goal scorer last year (Keller) and seem like they have a lot more playmaking talent than goal scoring talent. They are also much weaker on RW than on LW, with having Keller, Domi and Perlini as top-9 LWers but only having Fischer and Panik as top-9 RWers. Sprong is pretty much the exact player they're looking for, he's the same age as their core, he's exactly the kind of player they need and he's NHL ready. It also makes a lot of sense for why the Penguins would trade Sprong, because:

1. They're a win now team and Domi is better right now than Sprong
2. Sprong seems to have some issues with the organization, specifically Sullivan
3. The Penguins are already really deep at RW and they have arguably 3 established top-6 RWers
4. The Penguins aren't hurting for Sprong's PP skills because they have Kessel

So I don't really get why people are against trading Sprong for Domi. Domi's the better player right now, fills more of a need and likely won't be on the coach's **** list. Sprong doesn't really bring anything that the Penguins lack or need. Sprong makes a lot of sense to use as a valuable trade chip right now to fill some other need on the team, unless you're trading Kessel this offseason.

This all makes perfect sense. The alternative is that you need to move one of Rust, Sprong, Hornqvist or Kessel (listed in order of liklihood) to LW, which isn't an ideal fit. Moving Sprong for a young, RFA controlled LW makes perfect sense.

Reactions: Empoleon8771

Coach Travis

Back2Back!!!
Jun 29, 2005
Thunder Bay, Ontario
bucketdecals.com
How 'bout Sheary for Kassian
I’d rather hang onto Sheary. I’m actually kinda bullish on Sheary. I know, I know, he’s got 2 playoff goals in the last 2 years but my thing has always been, if he’s not working with Sid, hide him in the Bottom 6. He actually started looking very good with Brassard as they had very good possession numbers together but they were both snake bitten. The guy puts up goals despite getting nary a second on the powerplay. I’d like to hang onto him as I think there’s some really, really good untapped playoff potential there. Just need to put him on the right line against the right opponents.

Reactions: Riptide

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I don't think Sheary sucks, but there's really not much of a justification to keep him considering who else the Penguins have on their roster. I'd rather just play Simon in an everyday role, I don't think there's much of a difference between the two and Simon is a lot cheaper.

Coach Travis

Back2Back!!!
Jun 29, 2005
Thunder Bay, Ontario
bucketdecals.com
Sources are pretty quiet on that other JT, Joe Thornton expect that Pierre Lebrun reported a while ago that he felt he’d be back with SJ. Matt Cane has him at 1yr @ $5.4 AAV.

Could be an option. Slide Brass to LW, have a 3rd line of Brassard-Thornton-Kessel.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
Move Sheary and Sprong for Domi, and depending on the final cap number and what some of our RFAs get, you could find yourself with enough cap space to retain on or buy out Hunwick and sign a better replacement.

turd

Feb 1, 2013
I’d rather hang onto Sheary. I’m actually kinda bullish on Sheary. I know, I know, he’s got 2 playoff goals in the last 2 years but my thing has always been, if he’s not working with Sid, hide him in the Bottom 6. He actually started looking very good with Brassard as they had very good possession numbers together but they were both snake bitten. The guy puts up goals despite getting nary a second on the powerplay. I’d like to hang onto him as I think there’s some really, really good untapped playoff potential there. Just need to put him on the right line against the right opponents.
Put him on the right line at the expense of who, though? He has only ever shown chemistry or results with Crosby. And even at times with Crosby, he’s been a dud. There’s way too many “if’s” that need to happen for him to be productive. The book is out on him. He’s a midget, so just play him tough and physical and he’ll be flailing around on his ass soon enough. And like you said, two playoff goals over the last two years — time for him to find a new home.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I feel like Sheary and Sprong for Domi might be a little bit too much, but at that point, you're squabbling over getting something like an extra 3rd round pick or something like that. Is it really worth complaining about? You're going to have to trade Sheary regardless to fit Domi under the cap, so why not just have both go to Arizona, who is somewhat weaker on the wings?

I feel like it would be Sprong and a 2nd for Domi and Sheary to somewhere like Buffalo for a 2nd if the Penguins are bringing in Domi, so it's not really going to end up being much different if you just package them together.

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
You guys got to stop Sheary trade scenarios. He's going no where. He's marrying the coaches daughter. How you think he got on this team anyways? He can play but the sad truth is if he wasn't dating the AHL and then soon to be NHL coaches daughter since like HS. He never sniffs a NHL roster.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Sprong doesn't really bring anything that the Penguins lack or need.

Cheap talent, natural goalscorer. Running short on both. Closest thing to Kessel's skill set assuming he's traded this summer or next. I'd rather keep that all things being equal. Obviously they're not, but dream trades aside, I'd rather keep that.

I'd rather keep Sheary too all things being equal. They're not due to the cap and his play-off issues, but Simon isn't why I'm moving him. Or even guaranteed to be on the 23 next season.

edit: Tell you what, Arizona can have Simon instead of Sheary to go with Sprong, and we'll trade Sheary somewhere else for something :P

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
I feel like Sheary and Sprong for Domi might be a little bit too much, but at that point, you're squabbling over getting something like an extra 3rd round pick or something like that. Is it really worth complaining about? You're going to have to trade Sheary regardless to fit Domi under the cap, so why not just have both go to Arizona, who is somewhat weaker on the wings?

I feel like it would be Sprong and a 2nd for Domi and Sheary to somewhere like Buffalo for a 2nd if the Penguins are bringing in Domi, so it's not really going to end up being much different if you just package them together.

Sheary is awful. I don't care If we just got rid of him for nothing. I'd do Sprong +Sheary for Domi. I'd rather lose Sheary and his bad contract than lose a 2nd or a 3rd round pick.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Cheap talent, natural goalscorer. Running short on both. Closest thing to Kessel's skill set assuming he's traded this summer or next. I'd rather keep that all things being equal. Obviously they're not, but dream trades aside, I'd rather keep that.

This has been something that people have actually somewhat been ignoring up to this point, Sprong isn't under contract for next season right now. He might be cheap, but that might only be for a year if he gets a 1 year deal and explodes next season. It's also possible he holds out and wants something like $1.5 million a year, and at that point, he's not exactly cheap anymore. The safe bet is that he'll get basically a 2 year extended ELC, similar to what Dumoulin got in 2015, but that's not a guarantee.

Sheary is awful. I don't care If we just got rid of him for nothing. I'd do Sprong +Sheary for Domi. I'd rather lose Sheary and his bad contract than lose a 2nd or a 3rd round pick.

Sheary isn't awful and you likely wouldn't lose a 2nd or 3rd rounder regardless, because whatever pick you add on top of Sprong for Domi is likely getting at least matched with what you're getting back for Sheary.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
HFBoards discourse at its finest.

He's just not a playoff player. It's now two in a row where he is the worst player on the ice and the biggest defensive liability. He shouldn't have played a single game in the playoffs. He is horrible away from the puck.

He does have value in a bottom six role where he will get you 15 or so EV strength goals. But come playoffs he is a negative player.

Coach Travis

Back2Back!!!
Jun 29, 2005
Thunder Bay, Ontario
bucketdecals.com
Put him on the right line at the expense of who, though? He has only ever shown chemistry or results with Crosby. And even at times with Crosby, he’s been a dud. There’s way too many “if’s” that need to happen for him to be productive. The book is out on him. He’s a midget, so just play him tough and physical and he’ll be flailing around on his ass soon enough. And like you said, two playoff goals over the last two years — time for him to find a new home.
It’s not without its risks for sure. I did feel like we started to see good things in the playoffs with him on the third line. He had very good possession numbers in these playoffs (something like 57%) and had some good looks. I think there’s serious potential with him & Brassard.

That said, if his $3M cap hit keeps us from grabbing a better player...

Reactions: Riptide

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
This has been something that people have actually somewhat been ignoring up to this point, Sprong isn't under contract for next season right now. He might be cheap, but that might only be for a year if he gets a 1 year deal and explodes next season. It's also possible he holds out and wants something like $1.5 million a year, and at that point, he's not exactly cheap anymore. The safe bet is that he'll get basically a 2 year extended ELC, similar to what Dumoulin got in 2015, but that's not a guarantee.

Sheary isn't awful and you likely wouldn't lose a 2nd or 3rd rounder regardless, because whatever pick you add on top of Sprong for Domi is likely getting at least matched with what you're getting back for Sheary.

Sheary is awful when the games matter. And to me that is all that matters.

Yah he may have value to a team needing secondary scoring in the reg season. But he is useless in the playoffs. He makes Kuhn look good.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

Its not a guarantee, but its still the cheapest actual talent we have by a country mile. If he only takes a one year and explodes, that's enough of a win that I can live with him no longer being cheap.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Sheary has 2 goals in his last 34 playoff games.

Every shot of his is either a softy from above the circle right into the chest of the goalie or a point blank miss of an open net.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Like Letang?

No. Letang was good overall. He was a PPG. Nothing to hate on...he was our only secondary scoring. He was actually one of our better players all playoffs. He put Philly away in game 6 with an amazing hustle play. Great player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad