Salary Cap: Salary Cap & Roster Building - Locked in until July

Status
Not open for further replies.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Its not a guarantee, but its still the cheapest actual talent we have by a country mile. If he only takes a one year and explodes, that's enough of a win that I can live with him no longer being cheap.

Guentzel's also on his ELC still, though. I don't think the Penguins are lacking cheap talent for next year. You'll have Guentzel and ZAR still on ELCs and you'll have Brassard, Murray and probably Sheahan (I think he'll just take his QO and head straight to free agency) on cheaper contracts than their play deserves. There's also the potential for guys like Riikola, Bellerive, Blueger, Olund, Almari (if he comes over to NA), Dea and Johnson to step in next season and have an impact. I remember that Guerin said that Adam Johnson would have been the ZAR of this summer had he not signed last year, and he didn't have a terrible rookie season in the AHL either.

And along with that, I think Domi is probably going to get a bridge contract in the first place, so you're probably looking at around $3 million a season for him. That's an underpayment for a skilled 50 point LWer.

Edit: also, it honestly wouldn't surprise me for the Penguins to look to move Sheahan's rights and start the year with Olund and Blueger battling out for the 4C spot. They're both 2-way players and both were very productive in their respective leagues last season. You'd save a nice chunk of money by doing that.

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
No. Letang was good overall. He was a PPG. Nothing to hate on...he was our only secondary scoring. He was actually one of our better players all playoffs. He put Philly away in game 6 with an amazing hustle play. Great player.

He had 3 goals and a bunch of secondary assist :huh: Amazing hustle play? That was a penalty. He was in the box and came out and should have been right back in the box and potentially blowing Game 6 and forcing a Game 7. That's the stupidity you get with Letang.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Guentzel's also on his ELC still, though. I don't think the Penguins are lacking cheap talent for next year. You'll have Guentzel and ZAR still on ELCs and you'll have Brassard, Murray and probably Sheahan (I think he'll just take his QO and head straight to free agency) on cheaper contracts than their play deserves. There's also the potential for guys like Riikola, Bellerive, Blueger, Olund, Almari (if he comes over to NA), Dea and Johnson to step in next season and have an impact. I remember that Guerin said that Adam Johnson would have been the ZAR of this summer had he not signed last year, and he didn't have a terrible rookie season in the AHL either.

And along with that, I think Domi is probably going to get a bridge contract in the first place, so you're probably looking at around $3 million a season for him. That's an underpayment for a skilled 50 point LWer.

I'll give you Guentzel. The rest of the ELCs stand as hopes & prayers, or failing my 'actual talent' test.

Also, if Sheahan indicates that he wants to do, trade his rights off to someone else who can maybe persuade him different. I'd rather have whatever you get than one year of a 2m 4C. 2m is an underpayment for Sheahan's talent. but not when nailed to 4C.

And yeah, Domi would probably be underpaid... but I'd rather gamble on Sprong being cheaper.

edit: p,s, Domi hitting 50 points here is possible, but a pretty punchy target. considering his ES totals to date. If he finds the right chemistry here, very possible, but true of Sprong here too...

edit edit: p.p.s. Most of the hopes and prayers are LWs too. If we're seriously weighing them as a factor to hit it anytime soon, that weighs against acquiring a LW a little too.

Last edited:

RizzleMcRib

Cheeseburgers and rocket ships.
Jun 17, 2014
Wherever there are cheeseburgers.
He had 3 goals and a bunch of secondary assist :huh: Amazing hustle play? That was a penalty. He was in the box and came out and should have been right back in the box and potentially blowing Game 6 and forcing a Game 7. That's the stupidity you get with Letang.
People might actually take you serious if you didn't repeat everything ad nauseam.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I'm not sure if secondary assists are of any less value in general, but definitely not for a d-man, who is much further away from the offensive net all the time and will always be a few more plays away from a goal than a forward.

Reactions: PensandCaps

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Brass can pk too can't he?

In theory, but he has something like 30 minutes of SHTOI in the last 4 years. Now is that simply because he's usually one of his teams better offensive centers, and as such they'd rather be giving him PP/ES minutes? Is it that teams usually have other quality PK/defensive centers to the point that they don't need Brassard in that role? Given that he only took a total of 7 SH FO's (RS+POs) here, I don't think we will be seeing much of him on the PK.

I'm not even that worked about about a RH center - just someone who we can use a little more defensively then how we've used Brassard. That or go get a "winger" like Sobotka or Richardson who can take on that role if we need/want.

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
I'm not sure if secondary assists are of any less value in general, but definitely not for a d-man, who is much further away from the offensive net all the time and will always be a few more plays away from a goal than a forward.

How? It's their job to start the break out so they get a lot more secondary assist. Way less valuable than an offensive player.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Man, I wouldn't "flip" Brassard right now. If he was on the UFA market he's commanding ~$5.25M right now. You can't replace that this year. If anything, you try to flip Sheahan who, because of his qualifying offer, will be making more this year than he's worth.

I wouldn't be flipping Sheahan for damn near anything. Brassard is almost certain to walk in 13 months, which means we need Sheahan. Yes he too will be a UFA, but if we give him a market rate contract and promise him that he will be the 3C, I don't think there will be much of an issue getting him signed past next season. But if we move him, we could very easily be in the same situation we were in last Oct, and I don't want to bank on JR getting as lucky as he did with RS. Given how few Crosby and Malkin have impact years left, I'd really rather not try and max out someone's value vs overpaying them slightly to ensure that we do not end up with a massive gaping hole in a key position 14 months from now.

There's also the fact that Sheahan is our only defensive/PKing center. For all practical purposes he's untouchable for me. It would be different if we were talking about a winger, as we have multiple options to replace one of those in either FA or WBS. Centers are a much different story.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

Apr 9, 2009
USA
You guys got to stop Sheary trade scenarios. He's going no where. He's marrying the coaches daughter. How you think he got on this team anyways? He can play but the sad truth is if he wasn't dating the AHL and then soon to be NHL coaches daughter since like HS. He never sniffs a NHL roster.

Conor+Sheary+R8MKAUI3NLVm.jpg

He helped us win one of those bad boys in a big way.

Reactions: Rudy Russo

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
That or go get a "winger" like Sobotka or Richardson who can take on that role if we need/want.

St Louis facts seem pretty sure they'll move away from him. Dunno what the price is, but would potentially be quite interested.

The problem is that I keep falling for it.

Its kinda fun to watch one side of the argument thanks to my ignore list, but I'm guessing more people would have more fun if they expanded theirs...

Reactions: RizzleMcRib

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
How? It's their job to start the break out so they get a lot more secondary assist. Way less valuable than an offensive player.
So you think a d-man that gets 50 assists is less valuable than a forward that gets 50?

Sideline

May 23, 2004
Guys just use the ignore option. It makes this site 50% better. It would be 100%, but I still end up reading responses from otherwise good posters.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
edit: p,s, Domi hitting 50 points here is possible, but a pretty punchy target. considering his ES totals to date. If he finds the right chemistry here, very possible, but true of Sprong here too...

I don't think it's unrealistic at all. In his career, he has averaged about 38 ES points per 82 games, and that's while playing with Arizona. It's not exactly a stretch to think he can hit 40+ while playing with Malkin or Crosby, with about 10 powerplay points.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
In theory, but he has something like 30 minutes of SHTOI in the last 4 years. Now is that simply because he's usually one of his teams better offensive centers, and as such they'd rather be giving him PP/ES minutes? Is it that teams usually have other quality PK/defensive centers to the point that they don't need Brassard in that role? Given that he only took a total of 7 SH FO's (RS+POs) here, I don't think we will be seeing much of him on the PK.

I'm not even that worked about about a RH center - just someone who we can use a little more defensively then how we've used Brassard. That or go get a "winger" like Sobotka or Richardson who can take on that role if we need/want.

Well he's been a #2C for teams he's played for, but for the Pens he's a #3C "technically" and that means that comes with some PK territory. Now the other thing the Pens can do is play Blueger with Sheahan on the 4th line and both split PK duty which wouldn't be bad either as it would groom Blueger into that role to take over some day, but yeah, I think the team should be fine using Brassard and Sheahan as the C's on the PK.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Need I remind you of the 4th lines we won the cup with?
2016: Scrub - Cullen - Scrub
2017: Sheary/Scrub - Scrub/Cullen - Scrub (changed when Bonino got hurt)

Having Rust, Hagelin, Sheahan, Brassard, or Sheary (with his new contract) on the 4th line is doing it wrong, imho. If those players don't fit into the top 9, then trade them from cap space for defensive depth.

Just need 3 guys on the 4th line that are cheap, can kill penalties, and aren't slow as balls.

f*** NO. That's how you end up with scrubs in the top 9. If we have the cap space, then fill the roster with the best players possible. If that means Sheary at 3m is on the 4th line, then so be it.

How 'bout Sheary for Kassian
That would actually be interesting. The guy can skate, PKs and plays that gritty game that most are looking for, and can play 10-12 minutes a game without looking out of place. Last 2 years in EDM, he played at a 7g/23pt pace while playing SH, PP and ES and averaging 12 minutes a game.

I think this is one of the better suggestions I've seen for a Sheary deal that would actually be realistic.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I want Domi in addition to keeping Sprong, if there's no way to achieve that, then f*** getting Domi. We need a prospect like Sprong and I don't see this team dealing off more talented wingers that might or might not pan out for big trades any time soon even with the window to win right now. You need to constantly add new blood and Sprong needs to be that new blood this team adds. Especially one that is shoot first. Domi is a pass first guy and yeah we definitely need that too as we have some decent shooters on the team but not a lot of creativity out of the first two lines.

But if that means the Pens trade a 1st (next year) and Sheary for Domi, then cool. Otherwise, no.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Sheary is a doodoo casserole with a side of butt salad. Get rid of him, he's garbo.

And yet in what everyone on here described as a shit season still scored 17 goals, and still had the best SAT numbers out of every single one of our forwards in the POs. And he wasn't getting any more OZ starts then anyone else on the team (other than Sheahan's 4th line) - CS was at 55% (33/27).

I don't think Sheary sucks, but there's really not much of a justification to keep him considering who else the Penguins have on their roster. I'd rather just play Simon in an everyday role, I don't think there's much of a difference between the two and Simon is a lot cheaper.

Sheary is better offensively, faster and overall more consistent. Simon is better along the boards and uses his size better and is cheaper. But he's also slower and very inconsistent. Of the two I'd take Sheary every single day if we could afford him.

Put him on the right line at the expense of who, though? He has only ever shown chemistry or results with Crosby. And even at times with Crosby, he’s been a dud. There’s way too many “if’s” that need to happen for him to be productive. The book is out on him. He’s a midget, so just play him tough and physical and he’ll be flailing around on his ass soon enough. And like you said, two playoff goals over the last two years — time for him to find a new home.

He had very good chemistry with both Sheahan and Brassard these POs. The guy adds legit skilled depth to any roster. And given how few skilled wingers we actually have (aka guys who can hang onto the puck and make a play with it), we need to be very careful about getting rid of them. Especially if we're talking about potentially trading Kessel.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
That would actually be interesting. The guy can skate, PKs and plays that gritty game that most are looking for, and can play 10-12 minutes a game without looking out of place. Last 2 years in EDM, he played at a 7g/23pt pace while playing SH, PP and ES and averaging 12 minutes a game.

I think this is one of the better suggestions I've seen for a Sheary deal that would actually be realistic.

As long as Kassian is fully good with no nose candy, yeah I think that guy would be fantastic on the 4th line with Sheahan. I honestly think out of all the teams, Edmonton would be the most interested in Sheary, he's a more proven player than the diminutive speedy guys they've been trying to add to their team.

I think we could get Kassian + a pick for Sheary.
But then you probably don't get Domi unless you move Rust which for me, is a really sad day.

Reactions: Riptide

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
And yet in what everyone on here described as a **** season still scored 17 goals, and still had the best SAT numbers out of every single one of our forwards in the POs. And he wasn't getting any more OZ starts then anyone else on the team (other than Sheahan's 4th line) - CS was at 55% (33/27).

18 goals, the guy scored 18 goals on a season where he was playing RW/LW and moved up and down from L1 to L4 on any given game.

He's crap to people here, but to most that's a f***ing good depth scorer.

Reactions: Riptide

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
Conor+Sheary+R8MKAUI3NLVm.jpg

He helped us win one of those bad boys in a big way.

Thanks to the Crosby stimulus package. He's never sniffed those numbers without him.

So you think a d-man that gets 50 assists is less valuable than a forward that gets 50?

Not less valuable. Just less impressive. If you brought up a highlight reel of a forwards and defensmens 50 assist. You are going to get a lot more meaningless assist on the d's end.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->