Salary Cap: Salary Cap & Roster Building - Locked in until July

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Yeah, I don't think JR wants to deal Sprong and I don't want to see Sprong dealt.

If the team wants Domi, it'll have to be for something else.

Jarry + 2nd next year.

Jarry and Sheary.

Guentzel - Crosby - Hornqvist
Domi - Malkin - Sprong/Kessel (how good defensively would this group be?)
Hagelin - Brassard - Kessel/Sprong
Pouliot/Calvert - Sheahan - Rust (can we really afford to spend 7.5-9m on the 4th line, and is Rust going to be happy there?)

That's a pretty deep forward group. Only concern would be the fact that we still only have 1 PKing center. And while we could always swap out Pouliot/Calvert for someone like that (Richardson?), I still think the overall mix is a little off. I'm just not sure how we'd go about fixing it without moving someone like Hagelin or Brassard or Kessel, and I do not really want to move any of those 3.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
They don't need Jarry.

I'm not a huge fan of trading Sprong but, if the team really is that hung up on Domi, Sprong looks the likeliest piece to appeal that Rutherford would be least opposed to handing over (imo).

And what's the + that's going with him? Because it certainly wouldn't be Sprong 1-1.

Two thoughts come to mind. Lets pretend that we know Sprong will pan out and turns into a 25g/50pt winger who's much more of a shooter then a passer.
1) Is moving that for someone who's more of a playmaker the right move?
2) Is moving someone who's going to cost ~800k for the next couple of seasons the right move when the guy we're bringing in is going to cost 3m? Cap space is going to be at a premium this year and for the next 2-3 years as some guys get raises. Sprong being dirt cheap and being a quality player (in this scenario) is a big deal for us.

Now of course you have to temper things with the fact that Sprong is an unknown to some extent. How much success will he have? Will he be a 20g/45pt winger here in the near future (probably more realistic numbers without him getting PP1 minutes)? How much rope will Sullivan give him? Even if he gets lots of rope and chances, does he have what it takes to really pan out and become the skilled impact player we all hope he will become?

Personally I think I'd bet on Sprong over moving him for Domi. His contract, potential and the fact that he's more of a shooter then most of the guys we have are all big pluses. Especially when I start to think about what we'd have to be adding to him to get Domi.

Reactions: Andy99 and Peat

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
And what's the + that's going with him? Because it certainly wouldn't be Sprong 1-1.

Two thoughts come to mind. Lets pretend that we know Sprong will pan out and turns into a 25g/50pt winger who's much more of a shooter then a passer.
1) Is moving that for someone who's more of a playmaker the right move?
2) Is moving someone who's going to cost ~800k for the next couple of seasons the right move when the guy we're bringing in is going to cost 3m? Cap space is going to be at a premium this year and for the next 2-3 years as some guys get raises. Sprong being dirt cheap and being a quality player (in this scenario) is a big deal for us.

Now of course you have to temper things with the fact that Sprong is an unknown to some extent. How much success will he have? Will he be a 20g/45pt winger here in the near future (probably more realistic numbers without him getting PP1 minutes)? How much rope will Sullivan give him? Even if he gets lots of rope and chances, does he have what it takes to really pan out and become the skilled impact player we all hope he will become?

Personally I think I'd bet on Sprong over moving him for Domi. His contract, potential and the fact that he's more of a shooter then most of the guys we have are all big pluses. Especially when I start to think about what we'd have to be adding to him to get Domi.

You're preaching to the choir here.

I guess that Domi is a really tempting opportunity to buy low on a super talented guy who's still young enough to grow mind. Find the guy who shot at 11.5% in his first season in the league and you've got a great wee player. Hard to walk away from that.

At the same time though, Sprong is super talented too.

I don't think we see a decision on pursuing Domi until we see whether we're trading Kessel though, and I'm not sure that's going anywhere until the fate of at least 2 out of 3 of Kovalchuk/Tavares/Skinner is decided.

Reactions: Andy99 and Riptide

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Jarry and Sheary.

Pouliot/Calvert - Sheahan - Rust (can we really afford to spend 7.5-9m on the 4th line, and is Rust going to be happy there?)

That's a pretty deep forward group. Only concern would be the fact that we still only have 1 PKing center. And while we could always swap out Pouliot/Calvert for someone like that (Richardson?), I still think the overall mix is a little off. I'm just not sure how we'd go about fixing it without moving someone like Hagelin or Brassard or Kessel, and I do not really want to move any of those 3.
Brass can pk too can't he?

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
They don't need Jarry.

I'm not a huge fan of trading Sprong but, if the team really is that hung up on Domi, Sprong looks the likeliest piece to appeal that Rutherford would be least opposed to handing over (imo).
They have Raanta but he's also 30yrs old. Having a young heir to the throne is never a bad thing and it allows them to have a good tandem.

Vujtek

Oct 7, 2007
They have Raanta but he's also 30yrs old. Having a young heir to the throne is never a bad thing and it allows them to have a good tandem.

They already have a young heir to the throne in Adin Hill. I'd say he's about the same level as a goalie prospect as Jarry is. He's a year younger than Jarry and just finished a very good year for their AHL team. He was a pretty high pick (3rd rounder) and had a solid junior career (during Jarry's final WHL season, Hill had the league's highest SV%). Hill's a massive (6'6, 200+ lbs) goalie with good potential. With Raanta (who is only 29 years old) being in his prime and starting a brand new three year deal, they don't have a need for Jarry. So I do agree with the poster who said Coyotes don't need Jarry. They have recently signed their starting goalie, their backup goalie and have a goalie with good potential developing in the AHL system.

Reactions: Peat

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Jarry and Sheary.

Why i said pages back that a 2-way/PK'ing/pretty good at FO's UFA C wouldn't be the worst thing in the world instead of a Calvert/Pouliot in your line up. Or a C/LW hybrid that can allow you to either run Brass @ C or on LW.

Domi - Malkin - Sprong/Kessel
Brass/Hags - Sheahan - Kessel/Sprong
Hags/Brass - 4C - Rust

Brass can pk too can't he?

He did spot duty for the most part. Took draws and was the 5th guy if a PK'er was in the box.

I have no clue what JR has in store.
I DO think he looks for charachter 2-way F's and minute munching D(the harder minutes) that can perform in the PO's at the very least. I do think he'd eventually like to get an upper tier LW'er so the Domi interest doesn't surprise me. Think he'd like to push Hagelin down to the bottom 6 if he can and i think he's been trying to do that before with interest in Galchenyuk/Patches, etc.

But it really could be anyone from the roster sans Sid, G, Jake, Dumo and Murr on the block and if he really likes what the trade does to his lineup immediately, he may just pull the trigger.

Last edited:

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Since we're talking Jarry trade, what would people want to see for him if they let him go?

Coach Travis

Back2Back!!!
Jun 29, 2005
Thunder Bay, Ontario
bucketdecals.com
I don’t think I would take much more than Kris Letang on his own to get Erik Karlsson from Eugene Melnyk. He’s a penny pincher and Letang, a #1 RD, for $7.25M for a few more years would definitely be something he’s in the market for. Only question in my mind is whether Tanger would accept a trade to Ottawa.

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Aug 4, 2003
This space.
It is weird that she apparently predicted the baby would die because of the mom’s supposed issue with pain killers. Feels like there’s something to her allegations but obviously she is still a psycho for how she went about things.
As others have said, it appears those comments were only made after the child was stillborn. Besides, we're talking about over 1000 messages targeting the Karlssons, wishing death and injury upon them. Clearly, this isn't just a concerned person looking out for the best interest of a child.

My wife actually grew up with Karlsson's wife, they went to elementary-high school together (they were friends more in elementary school, became just acquaintances afterwards). I have it from a reliable source that Melinda Karlsson, as a child, showed no signs of pill popping. So, there's that.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I think we should try to flip Brassard for a younger, cheaper, ideally right-handed C, like Roslovic if Winnipeg can’t re-sign Stastny. Not so much for cap/money reasons as much as just having someone that is cost-controlled for 5-6 years, is on an upward trajectory, hasn’t become accustomed to certain minutes and situations and can take D zone draws on the right side. Really all we need is someone that can hit 35-40 ES points with good wingers.

If only, and I really like Brassard. Roslovic's really good - too good for any impending UFA, I'd say.

If I were Winnipeg, I'd sign Stastny, trade Little, and slide Roslovic into the 3C role.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
Since we're talking Jarry trade, what would people want to see for him if they let him go?

A defenseman

But I don't want to trade Jarry or Sprong

I'm basically fine with the group we have. Sheary and Hunwick should be the only guys we send packing, make some other marginal moves and be done. We don't need to be NHL 2018 here

Coach Travis

Back2Back!!!
Jun 29, 2005
Thunder Bay, Ontario
bucketdecals.com
Man, I wouldn't "flip" Brassard right now. If he was on the UFA market he's commanding ~$5.25M right now. You can't replace that this year. If anything, you try to flip Sheahan who, because of his qualifying offer, will be making more this year than he's worth.

DeadPuckEra

Dec 19, 2014
I don’t think I would take much more than Kris Letang on his own to get Erik Karlsson from Eugene Melnyk. He’s a penny pincher and Letang, a #1 RD, for $7.25M for a few more years would definitely be something he’s in the market for. Only question in my mind is whether Tanger would accept a trade to Ottawa.

I don’t think there is a player in the league right now who’s going to Ottawa on his own accord.

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh
Need I remind you of the 4th lines we won the cup with?
2016: Scrub - Cullen - Scrub
2017: Sheary/Scrub - Scrub/Cullen - Scrub (changed when Bonino got hurt)

Having Rust, Hagelin, Sheahan, Brassard, or Sheary (with his new contract) on the 4th line is doing it wrong, imho. If those players don't fit into the top 9, then trade them from cap space for defensive depth.

Just need 3 guys on the 4th line that are cheap, can kill penalties, and aren't slow as balls.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
A defenseman

But I don't want to trade Jarry or Sprong

I'm basically fine with the group we have. Sheary and Hunwick should be the only guys we send packing, make some other marginal moves and be done. We don't need to be NHL 2018 here

I'll be happy enough if Rutherford trusts the group, but there are ways to get better and being better should be the aim. I seriously doubt that Sheary and Hunwick will be the only guys we'll have traded come next February - its just a matter of when Rutherford makes his move.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
Need I remind you of the 4th lines we won the cup with?
2016: Scrub - Cullen - Scrub
2017: Sheary/Scrub - Scrub/Cullen - Scrub (changed when Bonino got hurt)

Having Rust, Hagelin, Sheahan, Brassard, or Sheary (with his new contract) on the 4th line is doing it wrong, imho. If those players don't fit into the top 9, then trade them from cap space for defensive depth.

Just need 3 guys on the 4th line that are cheap, can kill penalties, and aren't slow as balls.

This is how you get Tanner Glass on your third line and Chuck Kobasew playing with Geno. Injuries happen.

If you ever start to feel like depth isn't necessary, here's a dose of reality:

Early 2013-2014 Grades for Each Pittsburgh Penguins' Line and Defense Pairing

Aug 4, 2008
Rochester, NY
I think the Jets are pretty high on Roslovic. Rightfully so. I can see them wanting Brassard, obviously, as they were rumored to be in on him before getting Stastny. If we could get Roslovic and another of their good prospects (Appleton, Niku?) then maybe you do it.

I do think their best course is to stick with Brass this year unless some trade offer blows us out of the water though. He will be better next year.

USMC607

Apr 4, 2013
comedy Platinum

i wouldn't want Orpik for free.

Neither did caps fans up until their cup run.

They couldn't wait to jettison him.

Now they are using the cup win to claim he was their rock at D and the only reason they want him gone is to open up space to resign Carlson.

I also love one of their justifications as to why he holds value is he was the 3rd person to get passed the cup during the post game celebration.

Like that matters at all about value of a player. Ya he was the 3rd to get to hoist the cup, so obviously hes worth alot.

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
Neither did caps fans up until their cup run.

They couldn't wait to jettison him.

Now they are using the cup win to claim he was their rock at D and the only reason they want him gone is to open up space to resign Carlson.

I also love one of their justifications as to why he holds value is he was the 3rd person to get passed the cup during the post game celebration.

Like that matters at all about value of a player. Ya he was the 3rd to get to hoist the cup, so obviously hes worth alot.

The other part that is funny is they called a lot of the pens fans in the thread jealous and when any pens fan claimed that we just won he prior two cups so we don’t really care they kept telling us that what happened in the past is a moot point t and doesn’t matter.... I bet the past will matter when Washington doesn’t win the cup next year though lol

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
They don't need Jarry.

Exactly. The entire discussion on Domi in here has been completely ignoring the needs of Arizona and just saying what people here want to give up for Domi, not what the Penguins would realistically give up or what Arizona would want. Sprong for Domi makes a **** load of sense considering needs on both sides, and the Penguins coaching staff also seems to dislike Sprong. People in here are focusing on what they want to give up rather than what the Penguins would actually give up.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Exactly. The entire discussion on Domi in here has been completely ignoring the needs of Arizona and just saying what people here want to give up for Domi, not what the Penguins would realistically give up or what Arizona would want. Sprong for Domi makes a **** load of sense considering needs on both sides, and the Penguins coaching staff also seems to dislike Sprong. People in here are focusing on what they want to give up rather than what the Penguins would actually give up.

Tbh, he might by the only piece that really fits.

They don't need a goaltender.

They don't need any LD; they don't need any PP dmen.

They need forwards of pretty much every stripe other than attacking centre but given Domi's quality and pedigree, they'd be aiming high. Maybe if they had no other offers you could make them go for Rust, Sheahan, Sheary type guys if they really wanted to deal. Depends on how much Tocchet likes them, but its pretty unsure. At which point we're talking Sprong and Kessel that the Pens are willing to move. And it is unknown whether The Phil fancies it.

Of course, this is where I hope the Domi talk comes to nothing... but if they do trade Sprong then, depending on the add, there are worse ideas.

sovietsanta87

Jan 3, 2013
Pittsburgh, PA
The other part that is funny is they called a lot of the pens fans in the thread jealous and when any pens fan claimed that we just won he prior two cups so we don’t really care they kept telling us that what happened in the past is a moot point t and doesn’t matter.... I bet the past will matter when Washington doesn’t win the cup next year though lol

The worst fan base in Hockey. I would have rather seen a Flyers dynasty than one cup win for Washington.

Reactions: Riptide
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad