Salary Cap: Salary Cap & Roster Building - Locked in until July

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
He was actually fine defensively to me when I focused on him. He looked a lot more active and in position than simon, but the former is being told to work on it and the latter stayed up. If there's anything Sprong needs to work on is puck support in the offensive zone.

Which has been highlighted a lot more regularly than defensive coverage when the team has talked about him, iirc. I think that and his streaky offensive production has played a far bigger part in keeping him in WBS than any defensive issues.

Reactions: Tom Hanks

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
If he was playing very well he wouldn't have been relegated to the bench and then sent down.

Because the coach is always right.....right? Mike Johnston was a genius...Scuderi was in the lineup because he was playing well....to him.

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
Which has been highlighted a lot more regularly than defensive coverage when the team has talked about him, iirc. I think that and his streaky offensive production has played a far bigger part in keeping him in WBS than any defensive issues.
But on the other hand, one thing he did do well in the ozone is find pockets to shoot from. He's clearly got a scorers mentality, and that's tough if not impossible to teach. He was always setting himself up to take a shot if he got the puck.

Ultimately I think he'd have done fine if he had gotten more time, but I also don't think k this team or even sid are going to make or break based on him. I'd prefer if he had stayed up, but I'm not going to lose it like some on here that he was sent down

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
One of our best is a bit of an exaggeration. He started well then faded. As others have mentioned it was his offensive game that was lacking. To play with Crosby that’s important.

He was literally our best possession player in those 8 games. He would've started scoring eventually. But nope....gotta have Sheary out there falling everywhere and being horrible defensively and killing every scoring chance.

Reactions: canadianguy77

RizzleMcRib

Cheeseburgers and rocket ships.
Jun 17, 2014
Wherever there are cheeseburgers.
Because the coach is always right.....right? Mike Johnston was a genius...Scuderi was in the lineup because he was playing well....to him.
Right, and he has been a healthy scratch multiple times in WBS. That's all on the Sully, right? There is obviously something the coaching staff in WBS and the Pens that they don't like about his play. To think it's some conspiracy by the coaching staff against Sprong is silly.

AverageJoeFan

Mad cat
Feb 15, 2018
Pittsburgh
Anyone else think Guentzel has been a bit underwhelming? Maybe I expected too much from him. It's not been a terrible year, but I guess I was thinking wrong that he would be 70-80 pts this year.

TBH I am surprised Sheary has had such a downturn this year. Damn you people for pointing out him falling down as now I see it happening all the time and I cringe.

Sprong isn't coming up this year. I've resided myself to that fact. Still more concerned about D depth than forwards, but it would sure be nice to have some consistency on Sid's wing. It kind of boggles my mind that he's been so amazing all these years and each year we end up at the same place on line mate discussions for him.

I've heard a number of times from people like MM that Horny needs to move up to Sid's line. Not sure that works, but maybe there is some merit to it?

RizzleMcRib

Jun 17, 2014
He was literally our best possession player in those 8 games. He would've started scoring eventually. But nope....gotta have Sheary out there falling everywhere and being horrible defensively and killing every scoring chance.
Well I guess those "fancy stats" are the end all be all when you aren't doing anything offensively. Other than 1 game he didn't contribute anything to that line. But... But... he helped turn around Sid. Out of those 14 points Sid had, Sprong contributed nothing to 11 of them.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017

Well he wasn’t great at puck support. He was looking to get into a shooting position without helping out in other areas. His shots dropped of dramatically after the first 4 games. So if he’s not shooting and not giving puck support why would he play when he have a lot of winger depth and he has no history doing well in the NHL.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
Anyone else think Guentzel has been a bit underwhelming? Maybe I expected too much from him. It's not been a terrible year, but I guess I was thinking wrong that he would be 70-80 pts this year.

Jake shot at an insane percentage last year that was never sustainable. But early in the year yea Jake looked lost next to Sid (and Sid did as well). Then Jake played C for a spell and he just never found his groove until last month being back with Sid. Could be the sophomore slump where he's adjusting to the 1st full year in the NHL

Reactions: AverageJoeFan

AverageJoeFan

Mad cat
Feb 15, 2018
Pittsburgh
Jake shot at an insane percentage last year that was never sustainable. But early in the year yea Jake looked lost next to Sid (and Sid did as well). Then Jake played C for a spell and he just never found his groove until last month being back with Sid. Could be the sophomore slump where he's adjusting to the 1st full year in the NHL
I do hope he makes a come back. Really like that kid and his effort.

It feels a bit weird, but I feel the same way about Sid this year.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015

TBH I am surprised Sheary has had such a downturn this year. Damn you people for pointing out him falling down as now I see it happening all the time and I cringe.

Sprong isn't coming up this year. I've resided myself to that fact. Still more concerned about D depth than forwards, but it would sure be nice to have some consistency on Sid's wing. It kind of boggles my mind that he's been so amazing all these years and each year we end up at the same place on line mate discussions for him.

I've heard a number of times from people like MM that Horny needs to move up to Sid's line. Not sure that works, but maybe there is some merit to it?

Guentzel has been awesome since February. So aslong as he plays great when it matters, don't care about his point totals. Doing alot of good things not showing up on the score sheet. I'd say he's been the best player on line 1 of late.

Reactions: RizzleMcRib

RizzleMcRib

Jun 17, 2014
Guentzel has been awesome since February. So aslong as he plays great when it matters, don't care about his point totals. Doing alot of good things not showing up on the score sheet. I'd say he's been the best player on line 1 of late.
Like you said, he is coming around, and it's starting to show up on the stat sheet. 8 points in the last 11 games isn't too shabby.

AverageJoeFan

Mad cat
Feb 15, 2018
Pittsburgh
Yep and like I said I love his effort. Just wish that translated out to a bit more production.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
If you say so. Like I said I expected too much I think.

Well if you expected 70-80 points yeah you expected too much. He’s still on pace to get 23 goals, 24 assists.

There are a lot of factors that didn’t help like first full season, other teams knowing who he is, being on a bad team for half a season, etc.

He’s also been developing his game a bit more. He’s better at forechecking and hitting now. A bit more solid in his own end and has had stints at centre and on the PK.

Reactions: Ogrezilla

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
So I'm reading this stuff and people are under the impression that Sprong was really good during his call up?

Reactions: Riptide

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
Yep and like I said I love his effort. Just wish that translated out to a bit more production.

Its a sophomore season for Jake... this kind of thing is totally normal in development... A guy has a remarkable rookie season and every team scouts them harder and starts taking away their favorite tendencies, then either the player adjusts and grows in different directions to offset what teams are doing, or they stagnate and dont replicate that success.... its not often a straight upward line for these guys... it has peaks and valleys....

AverageJoeFan

Mad cat
Feb 15, 2018
Pittsburgh
Well if you expected 70-80 points yeah you expected too much. He’s still on pace to get 23 goals, 24 assists.

There are a lot of factors that didn’t help like first full season, other teams knowing who he is, being on a bad team for half a season, etc.

He’s also been developing his game a bit more. He’s better at forechecking and hitting now. A bit more solid in his own end and has had stints at centre and on the PK.
I love his play otherwise, don't get me wrong. Kinda crazy that he throws his tiny frame around the way he does.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad