Salary Cap: Salary Cap Crunch Part 4: The Hawks Won the Cup... and a $71.4 M cap

Status
Not open for further replies.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Yeah. The Hawks didn't have a Panarin ready to step in or a Teuvo ready to take on a bigger role.

They had nothing, the only not already playing for the club prospects worth a grain of salt they had were Bickell and Crawford. Everything else was pieces they had acquired in trades or just not even good AHL player talents like Jake Dowel.

They are stocked with more depth that has some AHL or college experience already and could come out to contribute better. I'd accept Nordstrom as a 4th liner still next year but if he gets beat out by the talent that could be ready, that's just all the better.

needle

Apr 30, 2012
So you guys think we offer Rundblad or Nordstrom (both RFAs) new contracts?

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
I don't understand the hate for Nordstrom

He will be very cheap and is effective to step in and play 4th line role for most of year

Does he have much offensive talent? Haven't seen it at NHL level but he gives you honest effort every night and is generally a solid player

Pepe Silvia

Jan 2, 2012
Chicago

He will be very cheap and is effective to step in and play 4th line role for most of year

Does he have much offensive talent? Haven't seen it at NHL level but he gives you honest effort every night and is generally a solid player

Agree with this. I'd have no problem with him as an extra forward

Nothingman*

Please. Rundblad.....hell no. Nordy....rather not. Sure he can be the extra F but he made the 4thine not that great.

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL

I don't find him to be all that effective. possession usually works against the Hawks when he's on the ice. Did you notice how vastly improved our 4th line was in the playoffs when he was in the pressbox?

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Instead they had to sign guys like Brunette and Pisani.

I've tried to block that out of my memory entirely. Please don't bring those names up.

100.gif

dbridge

Bluth Lockout 2015
Nov 28, 2010
Chicago
I'm fine with Nordstrom as the 12th/13th forward. He works hard, throws the body around, and tends to find himself in scoring positions. He can't finish to save his life, but he'll get a few cheap ones.

I don't have nearly the same Rundblad hate that a lot of others possess, but I feel like he's destined to return to Europe sooner rather than later. And with the glut of RHD coming through the system, he'd probably get pushed out of Chicago anyways.

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
I may be one of the only guys actually excited. I'm looking forward to the fresh faces.

Mixed feelings here. Yes excitement of bringing in a few new kids, but if we limit the number can we make another SC run in 2016? I think we can, starting with shedding the contract of Crawford and consider keeping vets Sharp ... and one of Richards/Vermette (if either is willing to sign short term for cheap). And before I hear all the CC supporters pipe up once again, it's a business decision. Even if we keep none of those three veterans, keeping Crawford wouldn't make sense to me.

Central PA Hawk Fan

Apr 16, 2007
York, PA
Mixed feelings here. Yes excitement of bringing in a few new kids, but if we limit the number can we make another SC run in 2016? I think we can, starting with shedding the contract of Crawford and consider keeping vets Sharp ... and one of Richards/Vermette (if either is willing to sign short term for cheap). And before I hear all the CC supporters pipe up once again, it's a business decision. Even if we keep none of those three veterans, keeping Crawford wouldn't make sense to me.
I love Sharp, but he's much more easily replaceable than CC is right now. Freeing up the Sharp contract is the correct move to solve the Cap issue, not CC.

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
I agree. If you ditch Crawford it's not to keep Sharp.

I would really be surprised if they traded Crawford, though, unless they were up against the Cap majorly. 6M for a 2-time cup winner and a 2-time Jennings winner that just stonewalled the top-scoring team in the league? Any other netminder does that they'll be worth at least 6M.

Ace Rothstein

Aces High
Mar 13, 2012
The Brunette signing wasn't a terrible signing at the time. I don't think anyone predicted him literally falling apart overnight.

Pepe Silvia

Jan 2, 2012
Chicago
The order of who I'd want to see traded among Sharp, Crawford, and Seabrook.

Sharp

Crawford

Seabrook

Basically don't want Seabrook traded at all, unless there's some amazing offer that's too good to turn down, that clears enough cap space and keeps them competitive at D (not likely). And I don't think Crawford will be traded. Sharp is the obvious choice.

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012

They're cheap, they offer continuity where it will be lacking elsewhere, I think they kind of have to. They can dump them after/if other options emerge at comparable cap hits.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad