Salary Cap: Salary Cap Crunch Part 4: The Hawks Won the Cup... and a $71.4 M cap

Status
Not open for further replies.

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
Kelly, Burish, Helm, Malhotra (Van), etc. teams get bit when they try to give out big contracts (term or cap hit) to 4th line players. Not only does it not end well, it seldom starts out that great.

here come the

Mar 25, 2013
Who did kruger replace? Honestly dont remember. Point is, a vet is going to get preference over a rookie, especially at center in this organization. If kruger wasnt here, danault could come in and TRY to be a legit 4c but point is, kruger is available.

Hey I really want them to sign Kruger, I think he lets Q deploy the lines in a very smart way, but more than I want them to sign Kruger, I don't want them to overpay him. I really don't think valuing him at 3 million is efficient business. If they can sign him to Shaw's deal, or one with a bit of a raise, then I do it without a second thought.

DontToewzMeBro

May 8, 2010
Really curious to see how "two way player" "team leader" all from his draft day 1st round pick Danault fairs next season.

I thought he would be the option at 4C by now.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
He doesn't ease that much pain from Toews in one area, he's not wearing anybody down for Toews. They still need another physical center between 1C and 4C. While Kruger is outstanding at what he does, what he does is limited so they shouldn't be looking at a big commitment to a 4th line guy.

For very limited offense and no physical game on a team loaded with young and non physical players, it's going to be really tough for him to earn a cap hit north of 2 million.
That's why there are other players on the roster. Kruger doesn't need to be physical, and being physical is overrated. What he does is what this team needs, a shutdown C outside of Toews, or else Toews won't be as good offensively. He has earned a cap hit north of 2mil already.

I agree with everything you say about Kruger but He's not worth 3 million... Not when you have Danault ready at 850k. 2.25 is a lot when you're in a cap crunch.
Danault isn't going to come in and replace Kruger, simple as that. He may eventually, but not right away. I may agree that 3mil may be high, but you better find someone who can do what he does in a hurry, and Danault won't be doing that right away.

Why do the Hawks always pay more for their players? Stone and Taffoli get paid 3.5 and we want to give Saad 4.5? Oh right he is a cup winner, sorry forgot about that.
Or maybe it's because Saad is better?

Hawksfan2828

Mar 1, 2007
Libertyville, IL
That's why there are other players on the roster. Kruger doesn't need to be physical, and being physical is overrated. What he does is what this team needs, a shutdown C outside of Toews, or else Toews won't be as good offensively. He has earned a cap hit north of 2mil already.

Danault isn't going to come in and replace Kruger, simple as that. He may eventually, but not right away. I may agree that 3mil may be high, but you better find someone who can do what he does in a hurry, and Danault won't be doing that right away.

Or maybe it's because Saad is better?

Danault is not going to be as good as Kruger right away but he is a better option at 850k than Kruger is at 3 (if that is what he wants).

I would not pay him 3, I would offer him a 2-year deal at 3.5 million or 1.75 per... That's it. If he doesn't like it he can wait until August for arbitration or sign and offersheet.

Maybe some team will offer him 3 and if they do I would gladly take take the picks.....

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Danault is not going to be as good as Kruger right away but he is a better option at 850k than Kruger is at 3 (if that is what he wants).

I would not pay him 3, I would offer him a 2-year deal at 3.5 million or 1.75 per... That's it. If he doesn't like it he can wait until August for arbitration or sign and offersheet.

Maybe some team will offer him 3 and if they do I would gladly take take the picks.....

So who takes defensive zone faceoffs and plays against the other teams top players when Toews isn't? It certainly won't be Danault, and if it is, it will be a tough year.

I'd give him 3yr 8mil or slightly more at most (like 4 yr 11mil). He will be worth it.

GGGHawks18

Dec 16, 2011
One domino down today. Hamilton to Calgary. #3 pick needs to be traded now, and then I think Sharp will be hot topic

WJSN

Cosmic
Dec 22, 2013
One domino down today. Hamilton to Calgary. #3 pick needs to be traded now, and then I think Sharp will be hot topic

I'm stunned. He must have been asking for 7~8mil.

Even then, I can't believe Boston traded him with their defense being what it is.

Hawksfan2828

Mar 1, 2007
Libertyville, IL
So who takes defensive zone faceoffs and plays against the other teams top players when Toews isn't? It certainly won't be Danault, and if it is, it will be a tough year.

I'd give him 3yr 8mil or slightly more at most (like 4 yr 11mil). He will be worth it.

Right and who is going to play with Hammer?

You comfortable going into next season with the defense we have?

We need to sign Oduya before we spend 3 per on Kruger....

Hell at the very worst we can look to the UFA market for a 4th line center..

Idionym

Apr 6, 2015
Chicago
Seems like a terrible trade for Boston. Why not just make a QO and wait for an offersheet and get a 1,2, and 3 instead of just a 1st? It's not like 15 is SUPER high or anything.

edit: nevermind apparently it's more than just the 1st.

Hawksfan2828

Mar 1, 2007
Libertyville, IL
Seems like a terrible trade for Boston. Why not just make a QO and wait for an offersheet and get a 1,2, and 3 instead of just a 1st? It's not like 15 is SUPER high or anything.

edit: nevermind apparently it's more than just the 1st.

15th overall and (2) 2nds, but yeah they sould have let him get offersheeted... They would have at least got (2) first round picks, 2nd and a 3rd...

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Well you spend a first round draft pick on a player, and at a certain point you need to throw him in the fire and see how it goes.

There is no solution to the cap woes that doesn't leave a question mark.

I agree with that. I want to see Danault play, but I don't think it needs to be as the 4th line shutdown center in his first NHL year.

Why not as a 3C getting the kind of softer starts that line was getting with Shaw as a C until Vermette showed up?

Keep Shaw at wing, see what Danault can do. In a year or two if it looks like he can handle that kind of tough workload, then move Kruger. 3 million per for a 2 time cup winner and Olympian isn't going to be hard to move should that day come.

Hawksfan2828

Mar 1, 2007
Libertyville, IL
You must be living in a different universe than the rest of us.

Shaw is only a 20 goal scorer that can win draws, is good defensively and is tough as nails... Oh and he only makes 2 per, yet Kruger is worth 3?

Funny because I always hear this stuff..... Bickell was the same case 2 years ago.... "What will we do without Bickell" .... Back then I was in another dimension too when I called that signing out.

CourtneyDagger50

Resident Pig Expert
Jan 11, 2014
Rockford
Steve Zipay ‏@stevezipay 5m5 minutes ago
Chicago's Kris Versteeg has nixed a trade to Montreal, I'm told by a trusted source

**** off Versteeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad