Salary Cap: Salary Cap Crunch Part 4: The Hawks Won the Cup... and a $71.4 M cap

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
Is Ville Pokka making the team this coming year? What are your guys thoughts on his year in the AHL?

Congrats on winning the cup as well!

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
Is Ville Pokka making the team this coming year? What are your guys thoughts on his year in the AHL?

Really doubt it, TVR, Reilly and Johns are ahead of him so very slim, this is assuming Reilly signs.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Johns is probably the favorite to win open spot for kid

If Reilly signs he probably nails down a spot as well (Given he is Lefty)

TVR likely a #6/7 for team next year

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
Whatever helps you sleep at night.

Well think about it for a second, do you think the second they win the cup Stan is going to open his mouth about trading any player? Its common sense, I am sure he was prepared for those kind of questions ahead of time, just give a no to it now and go from there. My sleep does not depend on Crawford being traded lol

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Truth be told, I'm not overly concerned. We'll have some holes, but I think that folks like Johns and Pokka (and maybe Reilly?) on the blue line, Hartman and Danault on offense, and Teravainen and TVR hopefully both taking steps forward in the offseason, I think that we won't have much of a drop, if any. And there's always the potential for surprises in our prospect pool and in the draft as well, especially the latter as I still think we'll get a mid to late first for Sharp.

And I don't expect Crow to be traded.

Ace Rothstein

Aces High
Mar 13, 2012
Pricey yes, but top 3 if not the best 4th line in the league.

Maybe it works cap-wise with an influx of kids. I suppose they'd be able to play more than your typical 4th line minutes if they play like they did throughout the playoffs.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I was poking around a few other teams boards last night. Someone made a comment that the team will be decimated by the cap hell coming up. Someone replied to them - we've been saying that for 6 years and it never happens.

That about sums it up,. Stan always seems to find a way.With whoever leaves, they plug it up. Might lose a year, but they figure it out.

I will say this...I'd love for them to figure out a way to keep Vermette. If we lose Vermette and Richards, we're back to square one for having no centers after Toews.

Agreed, its the same response I get on every site or message board.

Bowman had to strip the team down in 2010, had two first round losses then came back and now has 2 cups and another CF appearance since. The team has drafted great and even tho we had to move a core guy in Leddy, Pokka is looking solid and made great strides.

I think Richards will stay, his wife and kid may be in NYC but I don't think any team in that area (Philly, NJ, NYI, NYR, even BUF) want him and theres no reason not to return. Hopefully McNeill develops into that 2nd line centre or we move Sharpie for a young one.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
And that's the thing... the strip down following 2010 was much more severe than what I think we're anticipating following this year, and we've got a deeper prospect pool this time around as well.

Cause for concern, but not for panic in my book.

HawksFan37

Dec 27, 2007
I may be one of the only guys actually excited. I'm looking forward to the fresh faces.

I'm excited to see what the kids can bring, plus having a few fresh faces helps keep the veterans hungry (not that the core seems to ever lose that hunger aside from the dog days of January/February).

Ace Rothstein

Aces High
Mar 13, 2012
And that's the thing... the strip down following 2010 was much more severe than what I think we're anticipating following this year, and we've got a deeper prospect pool this time around as well.

Cause for concern, but not for panic in my book.

Yeah. The Hawks didn't have a Panarin ready to step in or a Teuvo ready to take on a bigger role.

ChiGuySez

Cody Parkey GOAT
Oct 4, 2006

My guess would be one more year of seasoning. 1st pair at Rockford with Svedberg at LD. Legitimate shot next year. Hes trending up with a bullet.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
This thread suggests who cares about the cap issues...Hawks win the Cup! BUT apparently some jealous sour grapes bloggers are putting a tarnish on the Dynasty building of the Hawks..They are cheapen in what the Hawks have accomplished by calling into question the Hawks use of "cap circumvention " with long term deals that alow the Hawks to "underpay" some key players and the unfairness the Hawks got away with in the Hossa contract vs. the penalties imposed on NJ fir the same thing with the Kovalchuk deal circumvention fiasco..They claim that long term deals are "immoral" as T and K are coming off deals that only paid them 60%of their market value as proven by what their new deals commanded...OR that Keith is now vastly underpaid and somehow his long term deal is immoral. ..Hey I did not make up this nonessential. ..you can read about it from sour grapes blogger James Tanner over at hockeybuzz.com..So there are those out there who somehow think the Hawks cheat the system and underpay to allow them the depth to win Cups...

Let me retort to these sour grapers:

1. How can you claim T and K are underpaid on their contracts now finishing ? Nobody forced them to sign for $6.3 million for their 2nd on tracts and the $10.5 mil on they will get now per year for 8 more years is just a sign of cap inflation..They were not worth $10 5 mil on per each when they finished their first contract..They hey have earned big pay raises at each contract ending ...but that is normal progression for stars in their first ,second .and third contracts...by the time of thir i4th contract they will be starting the decline into geezerhood and even with cap inflation do not expect another huge raise then or lengthy term..You can actually instead claim that $10.5 million each for T and K is too much now because they are not likely to produce more points ts over the next 8 seasons annually Tham they do now annually..So in effect now we are over-paying g for the same production level or to just maintain..

2. As to Keith ...again nobody forced him to take such a g deal...and if csp inflation has since put his pay to make value now as him being underpaid...that us simply the price his agent negotiated for long-term security..There is no immorality in that for anything g the Hawks did to get him to sign such a deal.

3. YES..you can argue that the Hossa deal was fishy circumventing to get a lower cap hit and that it was unfair they got away with it and NJ did not...but the deal still has 6 more seasonsto run..The first half of the deal the Hawks win 3 Cups...but now the contract with its penalties should Hossa retire early and with the albatross risks of cap -recapture if he gets traded and then retires before contract expiry effectively bars any such trade possibility and as old age starts detrioraring his impact and production,the last half of the "immoral contract" will be an albatross on the Hawks being able to keep parts that would otherwise help win more Cups. So going forward
..maybe this 8s already it for the Dynasty...maybe cap issues going forward will be too hard for Stam to resolve such as to be able to win more Cups..But the sour grapers will not mention that as Hossa in his geezer days ahead becomes grossly overpaid (not in salary which declines but in cap hit "value" in relation to declining market value.And so to accuse immorality when it eventually come back to bite us in itself unfair over the whole term of the Hossa deal.

In conclusion theses sour grapes jealous rants against the Hawks Dynasty as formed by some immoral manipulation are grossly unfair charges with no basis to undermine how hard it truly is to win Cups even with the best possible legal manipulation of the cap ...and as for Luck ...that because Kane got hurt and on LTIR which fortunately allowed Stan to add Desjardins Vermette and Timonen to provide just enough extra depth to win the Cup...nothing immoral about that...Kane did get hurt...LTIR is a legal procedure under the cap ...and rightly so...and so the Hawks benefitted .....but nothing immoral about it.

AND so to those that would dare tarnish the Hawks Dynasty accomplishment in the cap Era. ..I say YOU are just jealous sour grapers...

Oh..one final argument against your silly accusations..
IT MIGHT BE SAID that the Hawks..who became "America's Team" and attendance and merchandise sales leaders and helped grow the current popularity of the game in the USA are as big a reason for the cap going up because revenue streams have risen as anything else causing cap inflation...Imagine if theHawks instead were stinky over the last 6 seasons and if the UC only got five thousand in attendance and hardly any merchandise sales or expanded NBC tv deals because hockey popularity in the USA did not grow as much..You think everyone would cheer just because the players were not getting longer terms abd bigger pay overall across the league because the Hawks dud not do what they did? NO...the NHL PA and the NHL should thank their lucky stars the Hawks became what they became no matter how they did it..There is nothing immoral about the state of the game being better because the franchise in Chicago is so great and now a Dynasty..To complain at all this as resting on some immoral foundation is Nonsense and Sour Grapes by those who ENVY what the Hawks have accomplished and the myriads of Hawks fans around the world will not take such insulting arguments hurled on the Hawks implying some sort of cheat as anything but very jealous envy and sour grapes by those of lose teams who simply cannot stand our success.We DESPITE YOU who question our Dynasty and the hard work it took to achieve it in the cap era.
HOW DARE YOU IMPUGN AND CHEAPEN OUR ACCOMPLISHMENTS?
SHAME ON YOU?!

AND if more "underpaid value" guys choose to play for the Hawks to gain a Cup like Richards chose...that is normal for vets on certain situations where they can get more to play elsewhere but choose instead to take less to have a better chance with a top team to win a Cup...nothing wrong with that and it is not an exclusive to the Hawks to benefit from such...other top teams could get the same Ufa vet Cup chance discounts from guts who have made their money but opt to play below market value for a greater chance at a Cup.

THE HAWKS HAVE NOT CHEATED ANYONE to get their 3 Cups...get over it you sour grapes jealous fans of other teams who would dare IMPUGN the Indianhead with your nonensical rants. Blackhawks fans will not let you get away with such atrocious accusations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad