Proposal: Sabres - Bluejackets blockbuster

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
I am getting really, really, really tired of this constant reuse of the strawman that the proposal was Power For Jenner. Yes, it's the latest in-thing to mock Jackets fans for not wanting to move Jenner. We also don't want to move Zach Werenski - remember him?
No I forgot because the term "straw man" on this board made me REALLY tired. I may have nodded off...

No one mocked you or your team or fans. I acknowledged how important leadership is. I also acknowledge the trade AS A WHOLE is terribly off base as several other fans from other teams and our team have mentioned. If you're really that tired then take a break from defending the ruin of your franchise wagered on Boone Jenner...sounds exhausting.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
No I forgot because the term "straw man" on this board made me REALLY tired. I may have nodded off...

No one mocked you or your team or fans. I acknowledged how important leadership is. I also acknowledge the trade AS A WHOLE is terribly off base as several other fans from other teams and our team have mentioned. If you're really that tired then take a break from defending the ruin of your franchise wagered on Boone Jenner...sounds exhausting.
And I acknowledged that it's worse than garbage for Buffalo and that all the players involved are awesome but that hasn't stopped everyone and their nephew from taking their turn to freak out over not immediately proclaiming it as a G-dsend for Columbus, usually by pointing out the top asset on the Buffalo side and the secondary asset on the Jackets side and acting like that was the whole trade and going on multipost tirades about it.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
And I acknowledged that it's worse than garbage for Buffalo and that all the players involved are awesome but that hasn't stopped everyone and their nephew from taking their turn to freak out over not immediately proclaiming it as a G-dsend for Columbus, usually by pointing out the top asset on the Buffalo side and the secondary asset on the Jackets side and acting like that was the whole trade and going on multipost tirades about it.
I can say three things with absolute no mockery or anything lost in translation on a message board...

1. The ignore button exists. If you don't like the way the thread has gone just walk away.
2. It's a message board. The sun will rise tomorrow with or without you and me debating
3. If you need to talk or have an issue my PM is always open.

Cheers.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Buffalo sends Power, Mittlestadt, Rosen, Savoie and a 2nd .

Blue Jackets send the Sabres Jenner and Werenski.

I’m offended. The Sabres are giving up a 21 year old dman, a Mitts who is finally coming into his own, and 3 future pieces for.. players we can’t really use. Why?

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
No they aren't

We need words other than "win now mode" and "rebuild" to describe where teams like the Sabres and Jackets are at.

I tried coining "have already collected their future stars inside the org but need time and veteran stability to develop the future core in a competitive environment" and it didn't really take off for some reason.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
We need words other than "win now mode" and "rebuild" to describe where teams like the Sabres and Jackets are at.

I tried coining "have already collected their future stars inside the org but need time and veteran stability to develop the future core in a competitive environment" and it didn't really take off for some reason.

Pathfinder mode? They've geared up, now they need guides to help the novices on the journey?

MTL Dirty Birdy

Aug 29, 2021
Is this a joke? Return from CBJ wouldn't even be close to enough for Power alone. And Werenski isn't even a righty so no real need for the Sabres.

Something around Rosen or Savoie for Jiricek has been talked about, I'm not sure however if I want a young malcontent in this Sabres locker room.
Maybe some prospect deal around Ceulemans could make sense.
Honestly, I can see a Couzens for Jiricek trade. I love the workhorse from Whitehorse.

• Haha
Reactions: Fro

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
Honestly, I can see a Couzens for Jiricek trade. I love the workhorse from Whitehorse.
And how does that help Columbus? They've got plenty of excellent forward prospects and exactly one RHD prospect: Jiricek himself. Who has no leverage and most importantly has not even requested a trade.

Please, mods, can we lock this thread already?

Reactions: Fro

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
And how does that help Columbus? They've got plenty of excellent forward prospects and exactly one RHD prospect: Jiricek himself. Who has no leverage and most importantly has not even requested a trade.

Please, mods, can we lock this thread already?
in before someone mutters something about Ceulemans

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
Agree Power is gong to be a super stud. He’s still a pup. All Buffalo is short on now is the D maturing and consistency in net. UkaPekka looks Veznia like some games and AHL I. Other games. It been a long haul for Sabers but they are almost there. Tage Thompson is the best power forward to come along in years. The team is enjoyable to watch.

Not if you’re a Sabres fan.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

Cozens is a really solid player, I think this is just a down year for him. He can be a great 2C, signed long term. That's how it helps the Jackets. We have a lot of prospects and young players who might be 2Cs (including Sillinger and Voronkov) but no one as solid and high end as Cozens.

It's true that we'd also be giving up an RD with high end upside. I'm not calling it a steal for either team. But both sides ought to give it some thought. It's an interesting swap.

ScanGary

Mar 24, 2023
Jenner is in high demand from winning teams for a reason. And Werenski is a key part of our team now and in the future. Owen Power will be a great player for you if you wait for him to develop. Sure, we would love to have him, but our farm is loaded with Defensemen that need time to develop. Defensemen aren't typically ready to dominate at the NHL level until they are 23 to 25, offense maybe good but defense which is the position they play, not so much. Not sure what Buffalo needs but this trade is not what Columbus needs. We need 2 veteran lock down type defensemen which is exactly what every playoff team added at the deadline, so we aren't getting them now. What we have extra is puck moving offensive defensemen, 4 in our top 6 with more higher end ones on the way. Last time I checked, and team needs 2 for PP1 and PP2 maybe an extra in case of injury. Columbus fans were killing the Gudbranson signing last year, we need 2 more of him. We all like to think we are smarter than GMs who have eating, slept and breathed hockey their whole lives. We don't have a clue; teams don't just offer up their best players to you in trades unless there is a signing issue, character issue or salary cap issue. Fans use to understand that building a team takes time, losers don't become winners over night. I understand both fans' bases want to win as quickly as possible. But a much smarter fan base in Detroit is more patient and it is starting to pay off. Teams that fire coaches and GMs, just keep starting over, it doesn't get them closer to winning and in some cases makes thing worst.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad