Proposal: Sabres - Bluejackets blockbuster

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
No; there were several other players involved. That the raw asset value ostensibly favors Columbus doesn't change the fact that it's the opposite of what we need. We're in this to build a competitive NHL roster, not minmax some hypothetical abstract concept of "value".

The value of the OP is soo out of wack in favour of Columbus there's little chance the GM could keep his job if he passed on it. You can state you need more veterans which I believe is true, outside that pulling this trade off would absolutely be a big step in building a competitive team.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
So Buffalo fans and Jackets fans. What kind of vet are you looking for. Free agent shopping for guys 32 and up former top 6 forwards who get a 4 year deal. Or someone like Buchnevich who is 28, but only signed for 1 year beyond this season?

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
So Buffalo fans and Jackets fans. What kind of vet are you looking for. Free agent shopping for guys 32 and up former top 6 forwards who get a 4 year deal. Or someone like Buchnevich who is 28, but only signed for 1 year beyond this season?
Columbus doesnt need to be spending major assets just yet but they need a voice, someone more vocal. In the past they had a good cop bad cop with Foligno/Dubinsky. Would be nice to have someone in the Dubinsky role again

Reactions: cslebn and Fro

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
Columbus doesnt need to be spending major assets just yet but they need a voice, someone more vocal. In the past they had a good cop bad cop with Foligno/Dubinsky. Would be nice to have someone in the Dubinsky role again
Dubi pt 2 would be perfect. Wish I knew where to find one.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
I hear you. Jenner isn't even a good fit in Colorado either. A weird target for the Avs. If they want a 2C to fit their needs, it's someone like Danault. A high end defensive C to play with Nuke and Lehkonen to form a shutdown 2nd line.
Not high end, but how about ex-Jacket Alex Wennberg?

A stop-gap. Pavelski would be perfect but there is a negative percent chance that happens.

Reactions: Viqsi

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
The value of the OP is soo out of wack in favour of Columbus there's little chance the GM could keep his job if he passed on it. You can state you need more veterans which I believe is true, outside that pulling this trade off would absolutely be a big step in building a competitive team.
Dude, Kekalainen's job is already in serious jeopardy; that kind of hot take doesn't really have the impact that you think it does.

Consider also the long-term effects on the market if a deal like this went down. Suddenly we don't have Owen Power, First Overall Pick - we're attempting to replace the highly skilled vets we just lost by moving Owen Power, Recently Deemed Expendable By Buffalo And So Might Be A Bust. With similar concerns and hesitation attached to Savoie and Rosen. And with folks knowing that we've gone from "really want" to "desperately need" w/r/t skilled veteran mentors. We'd be obliged to turn right around and come up with a similarly unbalanced deal in someone else's favor to restock on mentors, only this time we'll be on the failing value side AND folks will have seen it coming and seen these guys moved before AND we'll be drowning and thus in a position for GMs to throw us anchors, so we're exceedingly likely to end up even more badly ripped off in the balance.

Or, in other words, from the Columbus perspective this is yet another instance of that well-known "flip him for what you REALLY want" approach that is a sure-fire way to fail badly in the trade market. We'd win that initial deal, for damn sure, but lose all the subsequent ones necessary to actually build a useful roster. But hey, we'll at least get to point to that one trade and say "boy, we sure got to make Buffalo look stupid that one time, yeah, didn't we?" And everyone else will smile and nod and point out how we're entering Rebuild Year 8 while Buffalo is actually winning playoff rounds.

Seriously, this stuff always has to be needs-based. Always. Otherwise you will lose long-term.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
The main problem here is that you need two teams going in the opposite direction for a trade. Instead, both of Buffalo and Columbus are the same club: Both are not very good right now, and both feel some urgency to get better in the short term.

Both value veterans today, and both have prospects and young players coming out of their ears. The package from Buffalo thus is not enticing to Columbus, which wants more players like BJ and ZW, not fewer of them. They already have lots of futures.

Value isn't particularly off, necessarily. These teams just aren't in a position to give the other what it thinks it needs right now. They're the same.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
The main problem here is that you need two teams going in the opposite direction for a trade. Instead, both of Buffalo and Columbus are the same club: Both are not very good right now, and both feel some urgency to get better in the short term.

Both value veterans today, and both have prospects and young players coming out of their ears. The package from Buffalo thus is not enticing to Columbus, which wants more players like BJ and ZW, not fewer of them. They already have lots of futures.

Value isn't particularly off, necessarily. These teams just aren't in a position to give the other what it thinks it needs right now. They're the same.

Everything else you said is fine, but the value is absolutely off.

Reactions: Deep Blue Metallic

Deep Blue Metallic

Bo knows hockey.
Mar 5, 2021
Jenner and Werenski epitomize what the Sabres lack. This trade would transfer that lack to CBJ, along with the Sabres' current season MVP and a minute-eating Calder finalist in his 2nd full season who recently turned 21.

Right target. Wrong team. Wrong value.

Buffalo probably needs to throw in a 1st to make this work
I know the /s tag kinda ruins the fun, but humor me just this once.

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT
Given that even the Sabres fans in this thread disagree, I suspect this isn't actually all that 'neutral' of a position to take.
The first overall pick that is tracking well for a third line Center and a player that can’t stay healthy. We almost never see people on the board call trades with any level of accuracy, so let’s not put to much weight into the thoughts we all share on this board. I would be interested to see if you can offer some examples of comparable trades that can be used as a benchmark. The only one that comes to mind if Jovo for Bure and that was some time ago.

Daz28

Nov 1, 2010
I think lost in all of this is how Jenner is very much the sort of well-respected 200' veteran players who can show the younger players the way and THAT has intrinsic value beyond just acquiring more picks or prospects. Buffalo fans should understand that if no one else does - that youth will not always ripen well when there isn't guidance in their locker room.
Maybe in the off-season. Certainly not for this ridiculous looking package, though.

HabsQC

Sep 27, 2008
Gatineau, Quebec
Jackets fans, if you want vets here in Montreal we have super special deals on Brendan Gallagher and Josh Anderson for you ! We might throw in a David Savard for the right price !

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Jackets fans, if you want vets here in Montreal we have super special deals on Brendan Gallagher and Josh Anderson for you ! We might throw in a David Savard for the right price !
trouble.gif

• Haha
Reactions: HabsQC

Deep Blue Metallic

Bo knows hockey.
Mar 5, 2021
Okay, that makes sense. It's an unfair characterization of him, but unfortunately that's kind of par for the course with that guy.
Boone is pretty much everything a team could want in a Captain. Big respect for that player.

Uberpecker

Mar 3, 2011
Buffalo probably needs to throw in a 1st to make this work
Must be a bottom 29 protected 1st rounder, though.

Given that even the Sabres fans in this thread disagree, I suspect this isn't actually all that 'neutral' of a position to take.
Not a single Sabres fan thinks that OP is accurate value. Nor that it makes sense for Buffalo.

Uberpecker

Mar 3, 2011
I wasn't referring to the OP; I was referring to that poster's "drop everyone but Power and it's still not enough from the Jackets" lunacy.
You mean Werenski and Jenner for Power? That'd still be bad value for the Sabres.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad