Proposal: S.Weber for T.Liljegren, K.Kapanen, C.Pickard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
Weber was a beast last season. He was exposed a bit in the playoffs because the Habs relied on him and Markov way too much. But, put him on the Leafs last year, and they beat the Caps in that 7 game series, then who knows what.

He was fantastic in the playoffs. Any shortcomings on the Markov-Weber pairing were on Markov. The Rangers identified him as a soft spot and attacked him hard in his corner.

OT but I have a laugh everytime fans blame the bad season on him not being re-signed. Love him, and he could still make a nice pass but man was he done as a defender. Never was the strongest or fastest and his age of 39 was really showing against ever faster and stronger NHL players.

Like you said basically Montreal fans have the memory of gnats and this has all been forgotten (and just by the ones who know hockey well enough to have observed it in the first place, forget about all the rest who get their opinions from guys like Tony Marinaro)

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
Dillusional. Weber is nothing like Phaneuf and that package is pure trash. You’re acting like you are doing us a favour by taking “Webber” off our hands. Throwing us a complete bunch of useless crap. No thanks. We will happily keep Weber

Obviously Dion and Shea are different players.

Weber is 32, contract ends when he is 40. $7.857 million per. Coming off a big injury that means this year he will play under 30 games this year.

Phaneuf was 30, contract ending at age 35. $7 million per.

I obviously know Shea age 32 is better than Dion age 30. But Shea being signed for 8 more years (40) vs Dion being done in 5 years (35) changes things allot.

I don't think Montreal fans can really think he has allot of positive value with that contract unless they retain money right?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Habs are not trading Weber for cheap. He is still a fringe top 10 NHL defenseman and if we are not trading him to the Leafs. If we are, It's Nylander coming the other way. You can troll Weber's value all you want with this "Decline" propaganda but we all know why the Leafs want him. He's a game changer on the back end.

Go get another Defenseman who does what Weber does if there is no deal. Good luck.

Weber Career totals:
- 867 games played
- 0.58 pts/game
- 0.22 goals/game

Weber's stats with the Habs (Age 31/32):

- 104 games played
- 0.56 pts/game
- 0.22 goals/game

Weber is still the same defenseman he was a few years ago people and he learned a long time ago how to play with average skating.

I guess that 0.02 pts/game drop is proof he is in decline eh? :laugh:

Last edited:

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Habs are not trading Weber for cheap. He is still a fringe top 10 NHL defenseman and if we are not trading him to the Leafs. If we are, It's Nylander coming the other way. You can troll Weber's value all you want with this "Decline" propaganda but we all know why the Leafs want him. He's a game changer on the back end.

Go get another Defenseman who does what Weber does if there is no deal. Good luck.

Weber Career totals:
- 867 games played
- 0.58 pts/game
- 0.22 goals/game

- 104 games played
- 0.56 pts/game
- 0.22 goals/game

Weber is still the same defenseman he was a few years ago people and he learned a long time ago how to play with average skating.

Depends on whether you factor in his whole career or not I guess? His last 3 years with Nashville he was around 16% more productive.

I don't really care one way or the other. At his salary and term, you can keep him and we'll keep Nylander. Would much rather have a lower end, reliable d-man than lose a key cog PLUS affect long term viability.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Depends on whether you factor in his whole career or not I guess? His last 3 years with Nashville he was around 16% more productive.

I don't really care one way or the other. At his salary and term, you can keep him and we'll keep Nylander. Would much rather have a lower end, reliable d-man that lose a key cog PLUS affect long term viability.

All players stats go up and down depending on the year and who they are playing with. This will also apply with Weber from age 32-35. When he turns 35 is where the decline issues start IMO.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
MTL is going to have to take this on the chin again. Nobody wants Weber. Trading for Weber is like getting a rental at the deadline and then signing him for the same amount for the next 8 years when he is 33.

He is owed only $30M over the next 8 years, all salary. Maybe someone will take him that has space, but doesn't have a ton of money to spend.

It's not about the salary, it's the actual cap hit.

His cap hit is going to be tough to swallow going forward. Especially if he keeps getting hurt, which is possible considering his age and style of play.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
All players stats go up and down depending on the year and who they are playing with. This will also apply with Weber from age 32-35. When he turns 35 is where the decline issues start IMO.
Of course, though when talking d-men, usually not best to use a career average versus just over a one year span, given normal trajectories.

Like I said, I don't really care anyways. I am not concerned about his current level of play. I am very concerned about his cap and term if headed to Toronto. It is very limiting. I'd actually be more interested in a guy like Petry. Mainly because I prefer defense by committee and think it is a stupid idea to move a big asset or to move the assets that will allow us to remain cap compliant plus good for several years going forward.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Of course, though when talking d-men, usually not best to use a career average versus just over a one year span, given normal trajectories.

Like I said, I don't really care anyways. I am not concerned about his current level of play. I am very concerned about his cap and term if headed to Toronto. It is very limiting. I'd actually be more interested in a guy like Petry. Mainly because I prefer defense by committee and think it is a stupid idea to move a big asset or to move the assets that will allow us to remain cap compliant plus good for several years going forward.

The point is Weber is not in decline. If he is, Burns is in real trouble as they are in the same age and Burns's stats took a dip this year. See how ridiculous this sounds? What's wrong with Burns? Only 10 goals this year and nowhere near his previous 2 seasons. He must be in decline right? :laugh:

Weber had 16 pts in 26 NHL games with 6 goals. That prorates to 50pts and 19 goals. Weber has only ever cracked 50pts in his career 3 times and is very consistently in the 40-50pts and 15-20+ goal range. Go ahead, compare it to any previous year if you wish

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2003
KW
The point is Weber is not in decline. If he is, Burns is in real trouble as they are in the same age and Burns's stats took a dip this year. See how ridiculous this sounds? What's wrong with Burns? Only 10 goals this year and nowhere near his previous 2 seasons. He must be in decline right? :laugh:

Weber had 16 pts in 26 NHL games with 6 goals. That prorates to 50pts and 19 goals. Weber has only ever cracked 50pts in his career and is very consistently in the 40-50pts and 15-20+ goal range. Go ahead, compare it to any previous year if you wish

When do you think he'll start declining?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
When do you think he'll start declining?

It's anybodies guess but saying he is today is nonsense. The guy got 16pts in 26 games with 6 goals playing hurt. Lets see how he rebonds after his surgery and some rest. He's played a lot of games over his career and has not been injured too often.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Webers 6 years ago SURE!

Do you think he is slower today than he was 6 years ago or something? :laugh:

Which of the following is Weber declining with? When I say declining... We have to see major drops offs and not a up/down trend you would see with all players of all ages.

- Skating?
- Goal Scoring?
- Being Physical?
- Point production?

brock0791

Jul 2, 2015
Would any team actually give up a single asset just to take Weber with nothing retained? Doing otherwise suggests Weber's contract actually has positive value

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
To TOR: S.Weber
To MTL: T.Liljegren, K.Kapanen, C.Pickard

discuss.

Notes to consider:

- MTL rumblings are starting to sound like rebuild, including Price
- Babs loves Weber
- Weber fits well on a dcorps full of puck-movers to partner with
- NAS is on the hook for post-retirement caphit
- Weber's contract is still intimidating to take on, even if MTL eats salary

*Looks at Leafs audience* Gimme a hell no

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
Do you think he is slower today than he was 6 years ago or something? :laugh:

Which of the following is Weber declining with? When I say declining... We have to see major drops offs and not a up/down trend you would see with all players of all ages.

- Skating?
- Goal Scoring?
- Being Physical?
- Point production?

Yes...as you decline from your prime, professional athletes do slow down unless your Tom Brady

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth

Weber Career totals:
- 867 games played
- 0.58 pts/game
- 0.22 goals/game

- 104 games played
- 0.56 pts/game
- 0.22 goals/game

Nobody is saying he's bad now. The reason people keep bringing up the term is because there's concern of how good he'll be 3-4 years down the line.

Reactions: Mork

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Nobody is saying he's bad now. The reason people keep bringing up the term is because there's concern of how good he'll be 3-4 years down the line.

Nobody is saying he is bad now? Speak for yourself please!

Well his salary drops to $6M for the next 4 years and then $3M at the age of 37. That's the window for Weber IMO. I seriously doubt he plays from the age of 38-40 with those $1M contract years.

I think a pairing like Mete/Weber will be very effective for many years. Weber is not as mobile as Chara but he plays a very similar game. Weber from age 32-36 will be fine. If you are not ok with this, don't try to acquire him in a trade and we will keep him and use the cap recapture penalty against the Preds to our advantage. Preds might be facing a $8M cap hit for 3 years if Weber retires after the $3M salary at the age of 37.

Go try to acquire Burns from the Sharks and see what they ask for! You think Burns is going to maintain his skating level heading into his mid 30's? Heck, he just started his 8 year deal at the age of 32.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
I've never seen a star get so disrespected like Weber is itt since Pk Subban was on the Habs

Subban was a game-breaker who was disrespected more internally than externally if anything. Weber is not the same caliber of player Subban is anymore.

No team is trading a top prospect, let alone 2 top prospects+ for a 32 year old Weber signed until he's close to 40, with that type of term and hit....for a guy who struggles to break it out past his red line. As strong of a man mountain he is defensively, it's not economical in anyway for the opposing team. Sure, he's a upgrade but your still paying an absolute premium to have the luxury of eating his deal and term in the cap era.

Practically, there's zero chance of it happening. Otherwise, the Leafs would have been stronger players for McDonagh, which wasn't the case. And the former is a far superior option today and moving forward.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth

Well his salary drops to $6M for the next 4 years and then $3M at the age of 37. That's the window for Weber IMO. I seriously doubt he plays from the age of 38-40 with those $1M contract years.

I think a pairing like Mete/Weber will be very effective for many years. Weber is not as mobile as Chara but he plays a very similar game. Weber from age 32-36 will be fine. If you are not ok with this, don't try to acquire him in a trade and we will keep him and use the cap recapture penalty against the Preds to our advantage. Preds might be facing a $8M cap hit for 3 years if Weber retires after the $3M salary at the age of 37.

Go try to acquire Burns from the Sharks and see what they ask for! You think Burns is going to maintain his skating level heading into his mid 30's? Heck, he just started his 8 year deal at the age of 32.
Most people don't think he's bad now. He's not the Norris level player he once was but he's still a damn good player. Again, the salary itself isn't the issue. It's the cap hit and if he decides to play out the contract or close to it. I'd easily take Weber on the Leafs if I was confident that he'd walk away from millions at the end of his career.

Reactions: Raymoondo

NotNotALeafsFan

Oct 11, 2013
Toronto

Salary is just a number for the Leafs. They're too rich of an organization to care if Weber is getting paid 3m or 8m. They care about the cap hit as they need to resign our young trio. When Weber is 39 years old, his cap hit will still be 7.5m and that's a no go for this Leafs fan.

Reactions: Mork
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad