- Weber fits well on a dcorps full of puck-movers to partner with
- NAS is on the hook for post-retirement caphit
- Weber's contract is still intimidating to take on, even if MTL eats salary

Last edited:

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
Seems like a reasonable trade for both sides. The issue is that if MTL really ships out Weber they're going to need to find a suitor for Price and Pacioretty before next year and undergo a full rebuild

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
To TOR: S.Weber
To MTL: T.Liljegren, K.Kapanen, C.Pickard

discuss.

I'd rather go with the proven method of drafting and developing. The Leafs core is under 25 years old. There is lots of time and no need to pay quality assets for a player who will help now but surely hurt the cap when the time comes to actually compete.
If you have some Ron Hainsey types that you're looking to move, I'm all ears.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Notes to consider:

- MTL rumblings are starting to sound like rebuild, including Price
- Babs loves Weber

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
Shea Weber's contract makes him worth very little, IMO. Also, what happens when he loses a step? He already lacks agility for a top pair defenceman.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
MTL is going to have to take this on the chin again. Nobody wants Weber. Trading for Weber is like getting a rental at the deadline and then signing him for the same amount for the next 8 years when he is 33.

He is owed only $30M over the next 8 years, all salary. Maybe someone will take him that has space, but doesn't have a ton of money to spend.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
wonder if weber is a candidate to go to the coyotes in the future. large cap, low salary

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
by who and how?
there will be an idiot gm who will make a big massive overpayment to acquire weber if he were to be traded. however if theres no such better offer, mb would be an idiot for not accepting this offer

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
To TOR: S.Weber
To MTL: T.Liljegren, K.Kapanen, C.Pickard

discuss.

Notes to consider:

- MTL rumblings are starting to sound like rebuild, including Price
- Babs loves Weber
Value wise it may be fair, or even in the Leafs favor...but it's still a pretty quick no thanks from me. Stick to the plan, draft and develop. Both Liljgren and Dermott should be here for a long time.

And that Weber contract? Whoosh....no thanks.

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
There's re-building and there's admitting you made a mistake. I doubt Bergevin would accept.

I would hate the Leafs to make this trade, but I agree with your point about Babcock.

Reactions: vokiel

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
wonder if weber is a candidate to go to the coyotes in the future. large cap, low salary
maybe when he realy becomes an archor, not a fan of Weber, never been. But i still think he hold value behalf what everyone here thinks and im one who thinks Babcock would probably like to have him! but like i stated i realy don't see weber going to a rebuilding with low cap hit budget team before he starts realy declining, no rebuilding team will give decent value to a guy who wont help them contend!

Reactions: AnishLoomba

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
maybe when he realy becomes an archor, not a fan of Weber, never been. But i still think he hold value behalf what everyone here thinks and im one who thinks Babcock would probably like to have him! but like i stated i realy don't see weber going to a rebuilding with low cap hit budget team before he starts realy declining, no rebuilding team will give decent value to a guy who wont help them contend!
yah i think when the habs get pieces for the future, they will ship off weber to arizona in 2022 because his salary will be 10 million for 4 years. arizona can afford that and mtl would be smart by doing that.

Reactions: HOPE

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
Weber is still good and would look GREAT beside Morgan.

That contract, and loss of Liljegren/Kapanen might be too much for me.
i agree with this.

as a habs fan, this is the kind of package that would be needed to have Weber out of Montreal, but if i was a leafs fan i woulnt like it.
even if Weber is still and Elite Complimentary 2D and like you stated he would be the perfect partner for Morgan. Thing people tend to forget a 1D along side a guy like weber who is still decent offensively gives alot of confidence to the 1D to join the rush, wich can maximize is potential!

Toronto with Weber, without giving current pieces would definitly make them a better team, the thing is, does it make them contend? and is it worth the gamble to trade liljegren who could do damage for years since the core is very young... Thats what makes me think Leafs doesn't touch this, but babcock being the coach and having alot of leverage makes me think too!

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
Would love Weber in Toronto....for 3 -5 years.

Contract makes him a no-go, along with giving up our two top prospects.

Reactions: lanceuppercut75
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad