Prospect Info: Ryan Poehling Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
Stephane Leroux of rds is in Minnesota now to follow Poehling. He will have a full report early next week...

Reactions: habergeon

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
That’s all persistence. Reminds me of ROR (Kesler too but he’s a shoot first player).

Jul 1, 2014
Canada
Poehling is the real deal. could jump in as soon as next season. He'll become a leader of many Habs future editions.

Reactions: ToLegitToQuit

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Apparently he’ll be the captain for team USA at Ivan Hlinka tournament this yet.

With the amount of talent in that team, it’s a huge honour. They have a good shot to win it this year.

Reactions: Halakitlikethat

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Can Poehling become a 2c guys? like a real 2c... not a Danault... realisticly?

Not to start a Danault as 2C debate in the Poehling thread, but Danault, in his second full NHL season is on pace for nearly 50 points. That's a 2C.

Poehling is the real deal. could jump in as soon as next season. He'll become a leader of many Habs future editions.

I think he'll play another year in the NCAA. You never know if he cracks the Habs line-up. But I wouldn't bet on it. If he doesn't play in the NCAA next year, then I think going to Laval will better work for his development. Habs may be desperate for centers, but I don't think it would be wise to rush him.

As for being a leader of future editions, I agree. I think he'll be a staple for the Habs that will probably feature Juulsen, Mete, Drouin, Lehkonen, and Hudon.

Last edited:

Jul 1, 2014
Canada
Not to start a Danault as 2C debate in the Poehling thread, but Danault, in his second full NHL season is on pace for nearly 50 points. That's a 2C.

I think he'll play another year in the NCAA. You never know if he cracks the Habs line-up. But I wouldn't bet on it. If he doesn't play in the NCAA next year, then I think going to Laval will better work for his development. Habs may be desperate for centers, but I don't think it would be wise to rush him.

As for being a leader of future editions, I agree. I think he'll be a staple for the Habs that will probably feature Juulsen, Mete, Drouin, Lehkonen, and Hudon.

From his own words, he said one year, maybe two. Said that is mainly about being enough physically developed.

Outside of that I don't think you can't really be too fast with this kind of kid. His head is well fixed on his shoulders and his game should translate very well in the NHL.

habergeon

Apr 15, 2015
Ive been reading that Ryan has a good shot at making the world junior team.

This, for me, would be fantastic.

I knew nothing about this young man when he was drafted, but Ive been excited reading the many reports from HF posters who have.

But id kinda like to see him, in person, against top junior competition to get a better read on him.

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
Ive been reading that Ryan has a good shot at making the world junior team.

This, for me, would be fantastic.

I knew nothing about this young man when he was drafted, but Ive been excited reading the many reports from HF posters who have.

But id kinda like to see him, in person, against top junior competition to get a better read on him.

I think unless Poehling has a horrible camp, he's on the team for sure. A lot of posters in the USA WJC thread have him slotted in the number 2 center position. I think this is the type of tournament that will really be a great showcase for him. He will have the chance to prove that he can be a scorer too.

Here's a Bob McKenzie article:

Americans will be loaded with offensive talent at World Juniors - Article - TSN

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
From his own words, he said one year, maybe two. Said that is mainly about being enough physically developed.

Outside of that I don't think you can't really be too fast with this kind of kid. His head is well fixed on his shoulders and his game should translate very well in the NHL.

From his own words doesn't mean it's the way it'll play out. His path isn't paved yet. He could have a set back like an injury. So his road to the NHL can be delayed.

I'd be very happy if he makes it to the NHL next year. But if he plays NCAA next year and Laval the year after before becoming a full time NHL'er. I'd be good with that, too.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
From his own words doesn't mean it's the way it'll play out. His path isn't paved yet. He could have a set back like an injury. So his road to the NHL can be delayed.

I'd be very happy if he makes it to the NHL next year. But if he plays NCAA next year and Laval the year after before becoming a full time NHL'er. I'd be good with that, too.

When Poehling finishes his NCAA career, it'll be because he's ready to be a full time NHL'er.

I expect he'll finish out the rest of his year in the NCAA, play 1 more season and likely turn pro, in the NHL, for good after that.

AmeriHab

Aug 3, 2012
NY
He should stay in ncaa just to develop physically. He’s aleeady younger than most and went early

Reactions: NoQuinn

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
He should stay in ncaa just to develop physically. He’s aleeady younger than most and went early

He has a good frame so when he puts some muscle on there he should be a pretty big boy....6 foot 2 215 pounds +/-. In terms of size and shape he kinda reminds me of Max Pacioretty.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Can Poehling become a 2c guys? like a real 2c... not a Danault... realisticly?
I keep going back to that Junior showcase tourny...

IMHO Poehling was the best centerman in the tourney- better than Pierre Luc Dubois, better than Logan Brown, better than Robert Thomas, better than Michael McLoed....

I think he's a top 6 C for sure. I think the question is can he be a cut above Danault and be a legit #1 C? I think he has a chance. I think his upside is some sort of Ryan Kesler/O'Reilly/Getzlaf hybrid. He's not quite as fast as Kesler, or quite as smart as O'Reilly, or quite as big as Getzlaf... but he's big, he's fast, he's smart, he competes hard, and he's a great distributor of the puck- plus he knows how to score ugly when he needs to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad