Prospect Info: Ryan Poehling Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
If he can become a Kesler type center for us that would be a huge win. Peak Ryan Kesler would be great, but 20-25G 30-40A would be solid.

A solid 2 way centre who can score 20-25 goals and 55 plus points would be a tremendous addition. For Habs coaches , and especially CJ that would be a wet dream fantasy ( pardon the visual ).

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
How is he with the physical aspects of the game? Is he soft and get rag dolled like Hemsky did in Anaheim, or is Poehling going to fit in for us in those kinds of games?

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
Another article from La Presse this time

http://plus.lapresse.ca/screens/8b2739e3-2ea9-405d-ae51-3a289321141c|_0.html?utm_medium=Twitter&utm_campaign=Internal+Share&utm_content=Screen

I especially like this blurb from his coach:

« C’est un petit moteur, mais je dois faire attention à son utilisation, surtout quand on joue deux matchs en 24 heures », souligne son entraîneur-chef, Bob Motzko.
« N’oublions pas qu’il est encore en croissance. Quand il remplira son corps, il pourra prendre encore plus de minutes. »
— Bob Motzko, entraîneur-chef des Huskies

Essentially he says that Poehling is like a little motor, but he has to watch out for his ice time especially when they play back to back. Don't forget he's still growing. When he fills out his frame, he'll be able to take on even more minutes.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
How is he with the physical aspects of the game? Is he soft and get rag dolled like Hemsky did in Anaheim, or is Poehling going to fit in for us in those kinds of games?

fine, although at 18 he could use some improvement to his lower body strength. He's got the size already and the frame to add mass/strength over time imo.

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
Nope, I think Motzko wanted to say that Poehling drives his teammates.

Cool. I wonder who'll become his go-to linemate, assuming he finds stability in our middle 6 next year, or in 2019 perhaps. If he really needs to fill up i.e. only make it in 2019 we have a one year gap of no Pleks, no Ryan. Interesting.

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
If he can become a Kesler type center for us that would be a huge win. Peak Ryan Kesler would be great, but 20-25G 30-40A would be solid.

Kesler would have been our no.1 center, which would mean Poehling could translate into our no. 1 center. Not bad if his progression keeps going.

Reactions: dralaf

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
Even if he becomes David Backes, that's not really what we need. No doubt it will help. But Backes has had the career of a middle of the road second line center. It would be great to have one of them, but not earth shattering.

We need game breaking talent, like Radulov, up front. Hopefully Chucky and Drouin can become this. Scherbak has an outside shot. If Poehling becomes a David Backes type player, that would be nice support.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Even if he becomes David Backes, that's not really what we need. No doubt it will help. But Backes has had the career of a middle of the road second line center. It would be great to have one of them, but not earth shattering.

We need game breaking talent, like Radulov, up front. Hopefully Chucky and Drouin can become this. Scherbak has an outside shot. If Poehling becomes a David Backes type player, that would be nice support.
He's quite ahead of Backes at same age. Backes wasn't drafted until 19 and he was still in USHL.

SakuKoivu11

Jun 29, 2017
Scouts seem to rave about this guy and thinks his potential could be top 6 forward.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Poehling now plays for the #1 ranked team in the NCAA. Although that may not last long since they face the former #1 ranked team and last years National Championship winning team in DU. Going to be a very interesting series.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Poehling now plays for the #1 ranked team in the NCAA. Although that may not last long since they face the former #1 ranked team and last years National Championship winning team in DU. Going to be a very interesting series.

Borgström is so much fun to watch. I may just have to buy those games.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
I'm really digging Poehling. I love what i see. It's a small sample size but from what i've seen it looks like he has a great I.Q. while still having decent skills and frame. I think he definitely have the potential to be a great two way 2nd line center and could even become more.

Reactions: Adam Michaels

Jul 6, 2016
If Poehling and Evans continue their progression, Habs could have two good centermen down the road... Finally !

Reactions: habergeon

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
If Poehling and Evans continue their progression, Habs could have two good centermen down the road... Finally !

Ikonen has started heating up in Finland, as well. He has 4 points in his last 2 games (3G, 1A). So he is another centerman of interest for down the road.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad