Prospect Info: Ryan Poehling Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
I keep going back to that Junior showcase tourny...

IMHO Poehling was the best centerman in the tourney- better than Pierre Luc Dubois, better than Logan Brown, better than Robert Thomas, better than Michael McLoed....

I think he's a top 6 C for sure. I think the question is can he be a cut above Danault and be a legit #1 C? I think he has a chance. I think his upside is some sort of Ryan Kesler/O'Reilly/Getzlaf hybrid. He's not quite as fast as Kesler, or quite as smart as O'Reilly, or quite as big as Getzlaf... but he's big, he's fast, he's smart, he competes hard, and he's a great distributor of the puck- plus he knows how to score ugly when he needs to.

The WJC will be great just to see where he's at compared to the players his age.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
The WJC will be great just to see where he's at compared to the players his age.
No doubt. I think he has a chance to really put himself on the prospect map with a strong tourny. Brown likely plays top line with Mittelstadt and Yamamoto due to being the 19 year old, but I think Poehling is going to have a monster tourney on what should be the favourites to win gold.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Second line center on team USA ? Has he been that good ?

Can't wait for the WjC.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada

IMHO Poehling was the best centerman in the tourney- better than Pierre Luc Dubois, better than Logan Brown, better than Robert Thomas, better than Michael McLoed....

I think he's a top 6 C for sure. I think the question is can he be a cut above Danault and be a legit #1 C? I think he has a chance. I think his upside is some sort of Ryan Kesler/O'Reilly/Getzlaf hybrid. He's not quite as fast as Kesler, or quite as smart as O'Reilly, or quite as big as Getzlaf... but he's big, he's fast, he's smart, he competes hard, and he's a great distributor of the puck- plus he knows how to score ugly when he needs to.

Thats great... but its an early August tournament. I'm really leary of how much weight to put in an August tournament. Summer hockey has players at different stages of off-season conditioning programs, etc....

The WJC at mid-season is a much better test.

He's a really good prospect though, and I love what he's doing at SCSU, but it may be a little early to say he's better than Dubois, Thomas, Brown, McLeod, etc....

Saxon

Mar 9, 2015

Typical HF. just throwing out player comparisons based on their first names being Ryan. :shakehead

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Typical HF. just throwing out player comparisons based on their first names being Ryan. :shakehead
Exact same names were said about McCarron. We have to wait and see, predicting that he becomes a #1 center(like those stated above) is premature.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
To be clear, I said that's his "upside". I didn't say that's who he for sure will become...

Also the Ryan thing is just a coincidence. I'm talking about the big, all around, high compete level, two way centers in this league.

Favster

Jul 21, 2013
Montreal
What I like the most from what I've seen is that he takes what the D gives him; he never seems to force the play. If he sees an opening he will not hesitate to exploit it but he doesn't making and ugly play if that's what necessary. This is a great trait for a center and a very "pro like" quality that doesn't come as easy as some would think.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Holy crap people are going a little bonkers. Yes he has had a good start to his first season after being drafted but calling him the steal of the draft? Come on.

On the Habs facebook feed one guy was going on about how he would be better than Modano...

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Holy crap people are going a little bonkers. Yes he has had a good start to his first season after being drafted but calling him the steal of the draft? Come on.

On the Habs facebook feed one guy was going on about how he would be better than Modano...

Lol.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

What's your picks as the steel of the draft? When you get a talent like this at the 25th pick and he shows potential right away at age 18, it's impressive. McCarron (25th pick in 2013) had 34 pts in 66 games as a 18 year old and didn't play on team USA. Poehling has 15pts in 12 games (13 pts in 35 games last year). Yes it's early, but people are correct when there is talk about a potential steel in the draft at the 25th pick.

Let me give you a comparison... Mittelstadt was drafted 8th overall and he has 15pts in 17 games. Habs likely got a top 10 pick at the 25th spot due to a 17 year old playing against men and his stats dropping. Yes, it's early but there is reason to be excited

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
Exact same names were said about McCarron. We have to wait and see, predicting that he becomes a #1 center(like those stated above) is premature.
Of course, but when mccarron was mentioned, it was based on him improving his skating, not an issue for ryan, where it is a strength

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->