Prospect Info: Ryan Poehling Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
Since the other was was locked, I thought I'd start a new thread.

Nice little article from JF Chaumont from the Journal de Montreal who went down to Minnesota to talk to Ryan's coach, Bob Motzko.

http://www.journaldemontreal.com/2017/11/01/ryan-me-fait-penser-a-mikko-koivu-bob-motzko

For those that can't read French, his coach basically says that if the draft was re-done today, that Ryan would certainly go higher then where he was picked. He said the Habs made a great pick and the reason a lot of teams passed on him is because they weren't sure of his offensive upside, but that he was only 17 years old playing against men that were 23 and 24 in some cases.

Ryan said he was going through a lot of changes last year including being away from home for the first time and starting university at 17 years old. he feels way more comfortable this year and implicated in the offense. He wanted to prove to people that he can drive the offense if given the chance. He never considered himself a strictly defensive prospect.

His coach mentioned that he's a major reason for their success this year so far and that he's their number 1 centre. He says that he knows the Canadiens have been looking for good centre for a long time and Ryan is exactly that. He reminds him of Mikko Koivu in that he can do everything.

Lastly, Rob Ramage who's the Director of Player Development for the Habs said that he's a complete centre who's very mature and he's also putting up big points this year along. All teams are looking for this style player with this size ( 6 foot 2, 200 pounds).

Can 't wait to see him at the World Juniors against the best players of his age!

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas

Nice little article from JF Chaumont from the Journal de Montreal who went down to Minnesota to talk to Ryan's coach, Bob Motzko.

http://www.journaldemontreal.com/2017/11/01/ryan-me-fait-penser-a-mikko-koivu-bob-motzko

For those that can't read French, his coach basically says that if the draft was re-done today, that Ryan would certainly go higher then where he was picked. He said the Habs made a great pick and the reason a lot of teams passed on him is because they weren't sure of his offensive upside, but that he was only 17 years old playing against men that were 23 and 24 in some cases.

Ryan said he was going through a lot of changes last year including being away from home for the first time and starting university at 17 years old. he feels way more comfortable this year and implicated in the offense. He wanted to prove to people that he can drive the offense if given the chance. He never considered himself a strictly defensive prospect.

His coach mentioned that he's a major reason for their success this year so far and that he's their number 1 centre. He says that he knows the Canadiens have been looking for good centre for a long time and Ryan is exactly that. He reminds him of Mikko Koivu in that he can do everything.

Lastly, Rob Ramage who's the Director of Player Development for the Habs said that he's a complete centre who's very mature and he's also putting up big points this year along. All teams are looking for this style player with this size ( 6 foot 2, 200 pounds).

Can 't wait to see him at the World Juniors against the best players of his age!

Thanks for posting

habergeon

Apr 15, 2015
Great read and great post.

I honestly knew nothing about this young man. When you pick where we pick I just hope for the best.

I've been extremely pleased with his development so far, seems like we got ourselves a good one.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I said in the last thread of his, that their schedule to date has been light outside of BC but that's about to change quickly. UMD, Denver, CC, UNO and North Dakota are the teams they face over the next 5 weeks.

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
I said in the last thread of his, that their schedule to date has been light outside of BC but that's about to change quickly. UMD, Denver, CC, UNO and North Dakota are the teams they face over the next 5 weeks.

Should be a good test for him and his team!

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

Cool that he has two brothers who are twins and older than him (21), and all of them are on the same team. The brothers have never been drafted.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dannyhab

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
Let's hope he doesn't fall to the hands of Lefebvre

Reactions: Tyson

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Wasn't Pacioretty given similar praise in his draft+1 by his coach?

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Wasn't Pacioretty given similar praise in his draft+1 by his coach?

I don't recall that, but I know for certain that he didn't want Pac to leave after his Freshman year for the NHL as he said he didn't think he was ready. But Pacioretty was 19 and played on the #1 line in the entire NCAA. They killed it, putting up 158 pts combined. Really hard to compare them as Michigan was great that year, and are the 2nd best program in all of college hockey in terms of NHLers.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia

If proves out..be fantastic!!

Reactions: DAChampion

Dannyhab

Feb 5, 2010
Blows my mind that kids as young as 17 can even be drafted. When I think of what I was at 17 both mentally and physically..lol. Happy and excited for him and the Habs.

Reactions: DAChampion
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad