Prospect Info: Ryan Poehling Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
I think we need high end talent at center more than size.

In fact I just want high end talent. Give us two lines with Danault level player at center and Radulov level play driver on the wing, and the offense will be fine.

I think we need high end management more than anything. Until the team breaks the cycle of hiring with a parochial perspective, this team is doomed. This from a fan who has watched the team for over 65 years and has sadly watched the most storied franchise devolve into the Cleveland Browns.

SakuKoivu11

Jun 29, 2017
Ryan Poehling reminds me of Murray Craven for those older fans. He did most things well. Fits that 2nd line 3rd line Center mode.

Reactions: Garnet76

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Ryan Poehling reminds me of Murray Craven for those older fans. He did most things well. Fits that 2nd line 3rd line Center mode.

Wow that’s a name I haven’t heard in a while but it’s an excellent comparison. Great 2C. His teams were less successful when he was the de facto #1 centre (even though he produced more) but when he had someone ahead of him on the depth chart, his teams were more successful.

AmeriHab

Aug 3, 2012
NY
Wow that’s a name I haven’t heard in a while but it’s an excellent comparison. Great 2C. His teams were less successful when he was the de facto #1 centre (even though he produced more) but when he had someone ahead of him on the depth chart, his teams were more successful.

The forever habs cycle of #2s playing #1

Reactions: ArtPeur

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Interesting comparison...

I was thinking more Rod Brind'Amour...though I doubt he'll ever put up the type of numbers he did.

habsfan909

Feb 20, 2018
I wish the best for Poehling but it's sad that he is our only really strong prospect and his ceiling is most likely a 2C. Our saviour is going to be a 2C lmfao. What a day to be a Habs fan! Lets all rejoice because 2-3 years from now we have a 2C coming through the pipeline!

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I wish the best for Poehling but it's sad that he is our only really strong prospect and his ceiling is most likely a 2C. Our saviour is going to be a 2C lmfao. What a day to be a Habs fan! Lets all rejoice because 2-3 years from now we have a 2C coming through the pipeline!
Who other than you, called him a saviour?

habsfan909

Feb 20, 2018
Who other than you, called him a saviour?
If you can't tell that the entire post was filled with sarcasm then I guess you missed the point.
If you really want to dissect my post why stop there?
-who other than me said "what a day to be a habs fan!"
-who other than me said lets all rejoice because we have a 2C coming through the pipeline

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014

I think that part of the problem might be fans eternally looking for a saviour and judging everything based on that dynamic.

That's often how things are genuinely framed, not just sarcastically. Building a team of players that complement each other well is more the key to a championship than just aligning star players. Just look at the NYRs, pre-Cap era, when they spent over 80M (then!) on a lineup of high-priced Free Agents that failed to even make the playoffs.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
If you can't tell that the entire post was filled with sarcasm then I guess you missed the point.
If you really want to dissect my post why stop there?
-who other than me said "what a day to be a habs fan!"
-who other than me said lets all rejoice because we have a 2C coming through the pipeline
Clearly I missed the sarcasm...

My bad

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
I think we need high end management more than anything. Until the team breaks the cycle of hiring with a parochial perspective, this team is doomed. This from a fan who has watched the team for over 65 years and has sadly watched the most storied franchise devolve into the Cleveland Browns.

No it needs good players who play well

All poor management has done is not allow the team to hold those players, draft those players or otherwise acquire those players

That bergevin did a bad job building the team doesn't change the fact the team is in and of itself devoid of offensive talent

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
What's the timetable for this guy? I didn't see him play so wondering how far he is from AHL and NHL.

we'll see how it goes for him next year. He took a massive leap forward from his Freshman year to his Sophomore year, so it's impossible to know how much more he will progress or not next year. I would think he'll turn pro after next season and then go to the AHL but if we see another noticeable leap in his development then I could see him in the NHL the following year (if there's an NHL season which I doubt there will be) that said I would hope that MB is fired by then and whoever takes over stops rushing kids to the NHL.

I'd much rather they take their time and do it right then risk our top prospect's (for now) development. Not saying every prospect wouldn't benefit from being in the NHL sooner then later, just that it has burned us too many times and I'm sick of seeing so I'd rather they use caution.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
I'd think he'll likely be a bottom end 2C if he pans out. Think poor man's kesler.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
that doesn't make sense, he would be giving up his last year to turn pro because he's ready. Most kids don't go directly from the NCAA to the NHL so why should he be NHL or NCAA?
Most do...correct

But many, especially high draft picks, these days are jumping from the NCAA straight to the NHL

Just recent examples

Brock Boeser, Clayton Keller, Tyson Jost (though he was sent down this year for a few games in the AHL), Charlie MacAvoy, Will Butcher, Alex Kerfoot.

It's happening more and more...and I certainly wasn't suggested that it happens with ALL players, just that I can see Poehling deciding to leave school early only when he feels he's 100% ready to play in the NHL and not have to go through the AHL.

I think for a guy like Poehling when he sits down with the Habs at the conclusion of next year to talk about his future, if the Habs feel like he may need more seasoning in the AHL...perhaps Poehling will just stay in school 1 more year.

I think most of these kids love college life and they'll only leave for a real shot to play in the NHL...not the AHL.

College game growing path to NHL

"Wisconsin coach Tony Granato concurs that the tough competition is superb preparation for the pro game.
"Our job as coaches is realizing that the players entering our schools want to move on and play in the NHL so we have to help them get ready for that," said Granato, who had a 14-year NHL career (1988-2001) after playing at Wisconsin. "I think it's great to see the college players having such a big impact in the NHL. It'll continue to grow as far as the number of players stepping out and being able to jump right into an NHL lineup and help teams because of the competition."

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
If they want to be careful and ensure they suck every last ounce of offensive potential out of him, it should be NCAA plus AHL, so 2 development years away.
Plus another year of being put in the press box, demoted to the farm, called up, play a game or two, make a mistake then back to the press box, then demoted again. Only then will he have the right attitude.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Most do...correct

But many, especially high draft picks, these days are jumping from the NCAA straight to the NHL

Just recent examples

Brock Boeser, Clayton Keller, Tyson Jost (though he was sent down this year for a few games in the AHL), Charlie MacAvoy, Will Butcher, Alex Kerfoot.

It's happening more and more...and I certainly wasn't suggested that it happens with ALL players, just that I can see Poehling deciding to leave school early only when he feels he's 100% ready to play in the NHL and not have to go through the AHL.

I think for a guy like Poehling when he sits down with the Habs at the conclusion of next year to talk about his future, if the Habs feel like he may need more seasoning in the AHL...perhaps Poehling will just stay in school 1 more year.

I think most of these kids love college life and they'll only leave for a real shot to play in the NHL...not the AHL.

College game growing path to NHL

"Wisconsin coach Tony Granato concurs that the tough competition is superb preparation for the pro game.
"Our job as coaches is realizing that the players entering our schools want to move on and play in the NHL so we have to help them get ready for that," said Granato, who had a 14-year NHL career (1988-2001) after playing at Wisconsin. "I think it's great to see the college players having such a big impact in the NHL. It'll continue to grow as far as the number of players stepping out and being able to jump right into an NHL lineup and help teams because of the competition."

Well Boeser had one of the best Freshman seasons ever so that makes sense, I wouldn't have wanted Jost to be in the NHL after a good Freshman year so hopefully they didn't rush him. Would never have expected Butcher and Kerfoot to do what they did. Maybe things are changing to get younger, quicker as it makes sense in a cap world but I am very much against rushing kids to the NHL and I would be surprised if Poehling wouldn't leave the NCAA for his last year over not wanting to play in the AHL. Guess it doesn't matter since neither of us know what his plans are just think that most of these NCAA kids need to go to the AHL to adjust to the much longer schedule vs playing some 40 games on the weekends.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad