Prospect Info: Ryan Poehling Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I am 99% convinced Ryan will not leave SCSU and his teammates after the year they just had. Plus Bellows probably won't be there next year. No CHL team even owns his rights.

They do. He's on their protected list.

4354b0ed-bef6-4a18-a4e0-403e33f9ff73.png

I just took this screenshot from: Winterhawks Prospects – Portland Winterhawks

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Thanks for this. Was looking on eliteprospects and only saw he was drafted first overall by the Lincoln Stars.

No problem. I didn't even know they had his rights. That Google machine can find you a lot of things, especially when you know what you're looking for. ;)

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
actually I do think at worst he would be a quicker Chipchura in the sense that if things just don't work out for him and he doesn't progress any then I still think he could be a solid or at least decent 4th liner in the NHL. He's got the speed, skating, smarts, effort, as long as he fills out his frame some, gets stronger, continues to improve his offensive game there's no telling how good he can be.

It's just so early in his development, his Freshman year is hard to get a read on as there's just not a ton of 17 year olds in the NCAA. That said he took a huge leap forward in his progression, only time will tell what happens next, does that progression continue and if so to what degree or is this it? We'll have to wait and see. No sense getting worked up over others opinions or jabs.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
You can see that this kid is determined to succeed.

I think he has the potential to be a steal!

Reactions: dralaf

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I think it would be a step back to play in junior hockey for Ryan Poehling at this point. He increased his production and showed more offensive tools this year than last.. going to junior hockey, against weaker kids, with his frame and size? I don't think that would progress his offensive game at all, it may actually stagnate it.

Stay in the NCAA for another season, then go to the AHL the following season to see if the offensive tools can elevate against the next level.

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
I think it would be a step back to play in junior hockey for Ryan Poehling at this point. He increased his production and showed more offensive tools this year than last.. going to junior hockey, against weaker kids, with his frame and size? I don't think that would progress his offensive game at all, it may actually stagnate it.

Stay in the NCAA for another season, then go to the AHL the following season to see if the offensive tools can elevate against the next level.

Agreed. He's playing against older, stronger players in a very good league. No reason to send him away to play against 17 year olds in a league where the hockey is probably worse. Would anyone even consider sending Gaudreau to the WHL for example?

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Sure, he looks determined now, but just wait until the Habs coaching and development people get a hold of him and destroy his confidence by punishing him every time he makes a small mistake.
They won't, they'll give hime every chance he has to succeed.

One thing that is nice with a regime that is on the edge of imploding is that they'll try to save face really hard, which means they'll probably fall in line, happens all the time.

Reactions: David Suzuki

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Sure, he looks determined now, but just wait until the Habs coaching and development people get a hold of him and destroy his confidence by punishing him every time he makes a small mistake.
Agreed. The track record for seeing prospects regress is alarming

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
They won't, they'll give hime every chance he has to succeed.

One thing that is nice with a regime that is on the edge of imploding is that they'll try to save face really hard, which means they'll probably fall in line, happens all the time.

Sure, just like with nothing at all to lose and the Titanic sinking they finally threw Galchenyuk in at centre. The stubbornness of the regime.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
SCSU players sign pro deals, others contemplating offers or returning

Center Ryan Poehling, a first-round draft pick of the Canadiens, did not return a phone call for this story. Poehling, though, said earlier this month that he is likely to return.
"Anything can happen, but at the same time, the NHL isn't a developmental league anymore," he said the first week of March. "When you're in (the NHL), you better be ready to play.
"As a 19-year-old, I'm still a young kid and I'm still growing into my body. The training and development in college has been tremendous for me. When I do enter the professional league, I want to be fully developed and ready to play hockey."

Reactions: Jrham15

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Poehling. At this point he's much safer. Has size, plays 200 foot game, and performing against men in the NCAA. Sub 6' guys killing it in junior aren't as rare.

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
Poehling. At this point he's much safer. Has size, plays 200 foot game, and performing against men in the NCAA. Sub 6' guys killing it in junior aren't as rare.

Poehling might not have the offensive stats Frost does but he's big and plays great all round hockey ina . tougher leauge

I wouldn't be surprised if he had 90+ points in the same league as frost though

Reactions: DramaticGloveSave

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I wonder if the Habs had any influence in LeBlanc, Tinordi and McCarron switching over.

yes, they had to of had some say I would logically think. No way would they make these moves with at least consulting the team that drafted them I got to think. I seem to recall at least in the case of McCarron that the Habs wanted him to go London and with Leblanc I recall his family badly wanted him to get a good education so it was very surprising at the time that he opted to leave after leading his team in scoring as a Freshman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad