Prospect Info: Ryan Poehling Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Frost I don't even the biggest Habs homer could take Poehling over him
Nah. Theyre pretty much equal. Frost has more high end potential IMO but Poehling shown really good things. Ppg in the NCAA as a freshman is no small feat. Hes about .02 ppg off Casey Mittlestatd.

WG

Sep 9, 2008
False, you win hockey game by OUTSCORING your opponent. Big difference
Not as much as you'd like to think. The organization has for a long time lionized "two-way" guys like Danault and spend undue hand-wringing on the fact that Galchenyuk needs a lot of work defensively. This mindset is getting the team nowhere and ignores the fact that the 'two-way' guys they like are really one-way guys as well, only in reverse. Danault is responsible in his own end, yes, but he is fair to mediocre offensively and there is not much the team can do to make him any better than a 0.5 ppg guy. Where Galch, Drouin, and others are concerned, I'd much rather the team take a shackles off a bit and let them try to create offense more. Given a team that scores two or less in more than half its games, I think a bit more scoring trumps the misplaced need for more dump it in the corner.

The whole mantra of playing not to lose and building teams that try to win games 2-1 isn't taking us anywhere.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Not as much as you'd like to think. The organization has for a long time lionized "two-way" guys like Danault and spend undue hand-wringing on the fact that Galchenyuk needs a lot of work defensively. This mindset is getting the team nowhere and ignores the fact that the 'two-way' guys they like are really one-way guys as well, only in reverse. Danault is responsible in his own end, yes, but he is fair to mediocre offensively and there is not much the team can do to make him any better than a 0.5 ppg guy. Where Galch, Drouin, and others are concerned, I'd much rather the team take a shackles off a bit and let them try to create offense more. Given a team that scores two or less in more than half its games, I think a bit more scoring trumps the misplaced need for more dump it in the corner.

The whole mantra of playing not to lose and building teams that try to win games 2-1 isn't taking us anywhere.

I think the knock on Galchenyuk, first and foremost, was the lack of effort. That was more apparent on the defensive side of things, but applied to every facet of the game. Lately, he's much more engaged and it shows offensively AND defensively. Even for scorers, you want your players to be engaged. Nothing wrong with asking that of the kid.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
The thing with Poehling that gives him his upside is that he has alot better offensive traits than you think. His size/speed combo is very good, we know he's going to play a 200 foot game, displays good passing and vision as a playmaker, and he's going to go to the net and score some ugly goals. But we also saw his skill level on that goal he scored... He also has shown that he can wire it, though his shot is currently inconsistant and not used very often. If he can continue developing and gaining confidence in his shot and skill, he can take his offensive game to a whole new level.

Reactions: ToLegitToQuit

Dannyhab

Feb 5, 2010
What were his other options other than staying in St-Cloud? How long can he stay in junior?

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
It was a heck of a year for him, doubles his goals, triples his assists. Next year though he will be in a much tougher spot as he's going to have to lead the way if Schuldt and Jackson leave.

What were his other options other than staying in St-Cloud? How long can he stay in junior?

He could have played 1 year in the dub since he wouldn't play as an overager.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
Man if ever the Habs need a player to pan out it’s Ryan Poehling.

I think we need high end talent at center more than size.

In fact I just want high end talent. Give us two lines with Danault level player at center and Radulov level play driver on the wing, and the offense will be fine.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I guess that there's no need to pencil him into next years hopeful lineup any more.:laugh:

I always had him ready for our line-up as a 20 or 21 year old. At that point.. Weber is 34/35 and Price is 32/33. Draft picks this year would be 19/20. If we don’t show potential to contend at that point, trade Price and Weber for more youth. Gallagher would be our oldest asset at age 27/28

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
So Poehling's team announced their new head coach, Brett Larson who was an assistant coach with UMD the team that just won the National Championship (after losing in the finals the previous year) he coached Laval's Jordan Boucher years back in the USHL.

And interesting side note, the coach of the Swedish National Team interviewed for the job, Rikard Gronborg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad