Player Discussion Ryan Nugent-Hopkins: The Silent Beast

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Nuge extra silent these days. 1 assist at ES. Bjugstad's backhand floater from the boards on a rush that went in to make the game 6-2.

Think Seattle would do a Nuge/Eberle swap for fun? Eberle is driving play for his line all night 5v5 for Seattle. Nuge seems to just be hiding until it's PP time.
Hall also scored 5 goals in his round of playoffs and has usually been good in playoffs. Its not open and shut in anycase that we kept the right one. NJ wanted Hall, they didn't want Nuge or Eberle in trade. Oh well.

Nuge turned 30. maybe that was a shock to his system. Thats the first BD that you don't want to have, theres many more after that, trust me. lol

Next season Nuge will come back looking like Ed Helms in Hangover after a wicked out of control Bachelor party week.... Something about Nuge evokes Ed Helms anyway. The guy constantly getting ribbed, getting the gears, little Nugey. McD and Kane will lead him astray. His friend Eberle might come along. Eberle looks high all the time.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Hall also scored 5 goals in his round of playoffs and has usually been good in playoffs. Its not open and shut in anycase that we kept the right one. NJ wanted Hall, they didn't want Nuge or Eberle in trade. Oh well.

Nuge turned 30. maybe that was a shock to his system. Thats the first BD that you don't want to have, theres many more after that, trust me. lol

Next season Nuge will come back looking like Ed Helms in Hangover after a wicked out of control Bachelor party week.... Something about Nuge evokes Ed Helms anyway. The guy constantly getting ribbed, getting the gears, little Nugey. McD and Kane will lead him astray. His friend Eberle might come along. Eberle looks high all the time.
Hall does and always has played hockey like a 4th liner. There is no nuance or structure to his game.

The same reason I don't like Ryan McLeod. Not that McLeod is in the league of the more gifted Hall but neither is a student of the game. They both share the go fast and accomplish dick philosophy of hockey that opposing coaches strategize around.

Hall was certainly not the reason for Boston being defeated by Florida but a team needs to play as an organized unit and once one shift goes haywire the flow of the game can be altered and it's extremely difficult to real it back in.

There is a reason for the line of first overall draft picks, it wasn't voodoo.

The Hangover franchise sucked balls.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
I would put McLeod, who has playing senses, with two fiesty guys like Kostin and Kane. Kane McLeod Kostin would look interresting. McLeod can dish.

Leon McDavid Bjugstad
Hyman Nuge Lavoie
Kane McLeod Kostin
And a 4th line of Fogele Ryan Yamamoto could be something.

Try out Lavoie! Pls!
No more rookies in playoffs.

As good as he's been in the A, the playoffs is not development camp. One mistake against Eichel or Stone could cost us a game.

We already have too many rookies playing.

Reactions: TopShelfGloveSide

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
Hall does and always has played hockey like a 4th liner. There is no nuance or structure to his game.

That's a pretty warped view of his career arc. He was dynamic as hell when he entered the league. The first decade of his career he was part of a lot of pretty bad teams through no fault of his own, ran into injury troubles, and now past his prime. The only thing separating his and Seguin's careers have been the quality of teams they've played for. He's still getting the contracts. You don't win a Hart Trophy playing like a 4th liner.

Reactions: Blue Line Turnover

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
He's been silent so far in these playoffs all right, but nothing close to a beast. Unless you're referring to a sleeping beast.

Reactions: Kanedogg

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
That's a pretty warped view of his career arc. He was dynamic as hell when he entered the league. The first decade of his career he was part of a lot of pretty bad teams through no fault of his own, ran into injury troubles, and now past his prime. The only thing separating his and Seguin's careers have been the quality of teams they've played for. He's still getting the contracts. You don't win a Hart Trophy playing like a 4th liner.
Taylor Hall is dynamic as hell... but that's all he is. A superior athlete on the ice.

This playoff in particular the teams with the most dynamic players are losing to the teams with players who master the fundamentals of hockey and play the coaches system to a t.

Coaching involves a culture of patience and enacting tactics... waiting for the precise moment to engage the game strategy.

Kill penalties, be in the exact area of the ice during a given game scenario or time and be able to repeat that positioning 20 times a game without faultering, score goals or even having players perceptive enough to lure an opponent into a vulnerable position so to unleash a massive hit.

It's got to be a team effort and not a showcase or a super skills competition. If the team can equal the dedication to positioning and the fundamentals of the opposition, and do it while having superior skills... they win the Cup.

Reactions: AM

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
Taylor Hall is dynamic as hell... but that's all he is. A superior athlete on the ice.

This playoff in particular the teams with the most dynamic players are losing to the teams with players who master the fundamentals of hockey and play the coaches system to a t.

Coaching involves a culture of patience and enacting tactics... waiting for the precise moment to engage the game strategy.

Kill penalties, be in the exact area of the ice during a given game scenario or time and be able to repeat that positioning 20 times a game without faultering, score goals or even having players perceptive enough to lure an opponent into a vulnerable position so to unleash a massive hit.

It's got to be a team effort and not a showcase or a super skills competition. If the team can equal the dedication to positioning and the fundamentals of the opposition, and do it while having superior skills... they win the Cup.

Without realising it I think you're describing 4th liners more than you are 1st liners. The 4th liners that are able to stay in the league are of that description (The Ryans, the Janmarks, ect). The dynamic top end talents take more risks and play a more high risk high reward game.

Reactions: Blue Line Turnover

Kanedogg

Apr 23, 2023
He's been silent so far in these playoffs all right, but nothing close to a beast. Unless you're referring to a sleeping beast.
I'd even go as far as last playoffs where his only notable efforts where in an 8 2 drubbing of la. He got a few goals when they gave up and quit.

Guy disappears when the going gets tough.

Reactions: gretzkyoilers

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Without realising it I think you're describing 4th liners more than you are 1st liners. The 4th liners that are able to stay in the league are of that description (The Ryans, the Janmarks, ect). The dynamic top end talents take more risks and play a more high risk high reward game.
I'm describing every championship team and the players making up these teams. Some players are greater than others.

Elite skill sets combined with tactics and fundamentals. Hall has an elite skill set but has always played a garbage brand of hockey. He played this way while he was in Edmonton. He plays the same way now.

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
No more rookies in playoffs.

As good as he's been in the A, the playoffs is not development camp. One mistake against Eichel or Stone could cost us a game.

We already have too many rookies playing.
The player who costed us multiple games of a 7 game series last season vs LA and made a brutal mistake on the season ending goal against Colorado last season was the most experienced player on the team and future 1st ballot Hall of Famer. Experience isn't the reason a players struggles in and of itself, only the ability level of the player matters. Experience is merely a tool to improve said ability level of a player. Not saying Lavoie has said ability to play in the NHL yet, even Holloway had struggles this season and ripped up the AHL. But if Lavoie is better than someone like Yamamoto/Foegele you slap him in.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
The player who costed us multiple games of a 7 game series last season vs LA and made a brutal mistake on the season ending goal against Colorado last season was the most experienced player on the team and future 1st ballot Hall of Famer. Experience isn't the reason a players struggles in and of itself, only the ability level of the player matters. Experience is merely a tool to improve said ability level of a player. Not saying Lavoie has said ability to play in the NHL yet, even Holloway had struggles this season and ripped up the AHL. But if Lavoie is better than someone like Yamamoto/Foegele you slap him in.
Playoffs aren't the place where we see what we've got in our rookie prospects who have never faced NHL level competition before.

Regular season game maybe, but most certainly not 2nd round of the playoffs in a must-win game.

Despote

Mar 21, 2023
I'm describing every championship team and the players making up these teams. Some players are greater than others.

Elite skill sets combined with tactics and fundamentals. Hall has an elite skill set but has always played a garbage brand of hockey. He played this way while he was in Edmonton. He plays the same way now.
Nathan MacKinnon the reigning SC winner plays like a headless chicken most of the time.

Throttlehead

Jan 22, 2014
Victoria B.C.
Reactions: BudBundy

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Yeah that’s a terrible read.
I feel stupider for having finished it.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
He’s describing first line players on teams that make it to the final.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
A much better game by the Nuge last night. Did lots of little things that is so good at. Still lots of room for more though, but a good step in the right direction.

Reactions: ujju2

Macheteops

Apr 13, 2005
A much better game by the Nuge last night. Did lots of little things that is so good at. Still lots of room for more though, but a good step in the right direction.

Did he? I didn't notice him much. Not saying he didn't I just don't recall him generating much except a few easy passes on the PP for couple assists. I missed a few parts of the game too

He's been completely invisible for most of the playoffs

Reactions: 2for1PizzaPastuh

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Did he? I didn't notice him much. Not saying he didn't I just don't recall him generating much except a few easy passes on the PP for couple assists. I missed a few parts of the game too

He's been completely invisible for most of the playoffs
Nothing too much offensively, but had some nice smart plays on the PK and the 2 primary assists. Like I said, baby steps.:D He has lots more to give.

Reactions: Macheteops

PostBradMalone

Mar 19, 2022
Another player who, like Nurse, has never pushed himself to be more than his existing skillset and deficiencies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad