Player Discussion Ryan Nugent-Hopkins: The Silent Beast

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
One of the smarter players the Oilers have ever had and the guy they ought to have kept through the DOD.

Downplaying Nuge's accomplishments is a sign of extreme weakness. He quietly took a back seat to two other playmaking centremen watched them dominate and then still dropped his giant set of brass balls on the table to put together this season and generally in years past where he would contribute in every way and then work the powerplay into historical status alongside McDrai.

Juxta Position

Jul 2, 2006
You must've been in a coma. He was a whipping boy a lot.
No, he really wasn't. not to the extent that other players have been. there was lots of talk about trading him for a #1 Dman or trying to get an upgrade at center over him. But there wasn't the irrational hatred that others experienced in Edmonton.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
No, he really wasn't. not to the extent that other players have been. there was lots of talk about trading him for a #1 Dman or trying to get an upgrade at center over him. But there wasn't the irrational hatred that others experienced in Edmonton.
He sure was here on HF. Ryan Nothing Happens was a nickname that I believe was coined here. Many also felt that he was overpaid, wasn't taking training serious because he only used his brother to help in that regard, etc.

Juxta Position

Jul 2, 2006
He sure was here on HF. Ryan Nothing Happens was a nickname that I believe was coined here. Many also felt that he was overpaid, wasn't taking training serious because he only used his brother to help in that regard, etc.

Yes, i've been on this board since 2006, i'm aware of what has been said and not said, but the calls to have him run out of town like many other old Oilers were more limited to a handful of posters as opposed to a general consensus on the board.

and i was actually around for the old Oilfans message board days as well.

Reactions: Kolja

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Yes, i've been on this board since 2006, i'm aware of what has been said and not said, but the calls to have him run out of town like many other old Oilers were more limited to a handful of posters as opposed to a general consensus on the board.

and i was actually around for the old Oilfans message board days as well.
Not as bad as Horcoff, Poti, Pulju, etc. but he has gotten his share of crap and then some flung his way.

Reactions: Dieseloil and ujju2

Juxta Position

Jul 2, 2006
Not as bad as Horcoff, Poti, Pulju, etc. but he has gotten his share of crap and then some flung his way.

fair enough, but what my original post was getting at, was that for being here 12 years, he hasn't had enough vitrol spewed his way from the fans to get him run out of town, and that's impressive in that amount of time.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Porkleaker

Mar 19, 2017
Onterrible
I was on the TradeNugeForever train, until he finally shut me up last season, especially in the playoffs and this year just wow. His game has really come together, I've eaten plenty of crow since so keep it up Noooge! 100! just unreal.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
The race for 5th place in NHL scoring:

5) David Pastrnak 79gp. (3 games remaining) 57-48-105
6) Nathan MacKinnon 67gp. (4 games remaining) 37-67-104
7) Jason Robertson 79gp. (3 games remaining) 45-58-103
8) RNH 80gp. (2 games remaining) 37-66-103

By the looks of things MacKinnon likely takes the 5th spot, but if RNH has a couple of big games it is definitely a possibility that we could have 3 of the top 5 scorers in the NHL. Has that been done since Gretzky, Kurri and Coffey?

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal

By the looks of things MacKinnon likely takes the 5th spot, but if RNH has a couple of big games it is definitely a possibility that we could have 3 of the top 5 scorers in the NHL. Has that been done since Gretzky, Kurri and Coffey?
Pretty sure lemieux jagr and francis did it.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario

And to think Jason Robertson is a better player than McDavid. Or so we were told by Stan Fischler. :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad