Player Discussion Ryan Nugent-Hopkins: The Silent Beast

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
Nuge has reverted back to his baseline ~50 point season who can't generate his own offence. That's worth his 5.125M I guess?

Reactions: Kanedogg

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Waiting for the Oilers injury report to see if anything with Nuge, other than the usual bumps and bruises.

Kanedogg

Apr 23, 2023
Would be nice if they could move nuge (realize they'd never do this). This team doesn't need guys who disappear in the playoffs.

It's funny to hear the "injury" excuse being floated. He took all practices and was his usual perimeter self. Yamamoto, Hyman and kane all had at least 1 signature game. Nuge no showed from game 1.

elmeroil

Feb 3, 2013
Would be nice if they could move nuge (realize they'd never do this). This team doesn't need guys who disappear in the playoffs.

It's funny to hear the "injury" excuse being floated. He took all practices and was his usual perimeter self. Yamamoto, Hyman and kane all had at least 1 signature game. Nuge no showed from game 1.
Point per game in the Playoffs and best season of his career, yep let's get rid of him!

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
2 even strength points in playoffs. TWO
He was by far the worst forward.

Regular season is irrelevant. The goal is not to be a good regular season power play team.

Would be a brave move to get a high value before his value massively detoriates.
He was also -6. 2nd worst on the whole team. Absolute ghost with no physical game whatsoever. Trade this phony already.

Reactions: ZenOil and Kanedogg

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
Brilliant idea. Guy had an upper body injury but let's pretend that he dogged it just to piss off people like you instead. Where were you in the regular season when he was healthy and playing well?
An upper body injury eh? Bullshit, he was interviewed in the playoffs and was fine. He leetched those regular season points off McDrai full stop. Play him anywhere else in the lineup and he can’t produce shit.

Reactions: Kanedogg

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
An upper body injury eh? Bullshit, he was interviewed in the playoffs and was fine. He leetched those regular season points off McDrai full stop. Play him anywhere else in the lineup and he can’t produce shit.
A lot of players won't say anything about injuries as it is seen as taking away from the opponent and Stauffer mentioned it IIRC.

Reactions: Duke74 and ujju2

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
He definitely was a silent beast in these playoffs.

Too easy to play against. Unacceptable for a 10 year veteran

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
Upper body was all that was stated. No more specifics.
I never heard that. I thought it was all just speculation based on how awful he was. Maybe he was just protecting himself from being targeted, but Nuge himself said he was fine. Has anything more specific come out??

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I never heard that. I thought it was all just speculation based on how awful he was. Maybe he was just protecting himself from being targeted, but Nuge himself said he was fine. Has anything more specific come out??
I can't find it currently, but there was a tweet that said that Kane had a broken finger, Hyman a shoulder injury and RNH with an upper body injury. IIRC it came out a day or 2 after we lost game 6 and was posted somewhere on here.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
I can't find it currently, but there was a tweet that said that Kane had a broken finger, Hyman a shoulder injury and RNH with an upper body injury. IIRC it came out a day or 2 after we lost game 6 and was posted somewhere on here.
Also none of the players would confirm their injuries. So it's not surprising that we haven't heard more about RNH's injury.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Also none of the players would confirm their injuries. So it's not surprising that we haven't heard more about RNH's injury.
Only Kane really did and it was basically a pointed question asking him if he had a broken finger and if injuries affected why he had a much less i8mpactful postseason than the previous one.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
On one play in first round Nuge barely got raked with a high stick behind goal. It was just the standard try to hook the stick play. Sensing mortal injury he flew right down the tunnel. Guy appears to have a pain threshold of a preschooler.

I think somebody probably mentioned it but a trick hangnail could probably be his undoing in some games.

Nuge reverted back to his standard game where he didn't want to get hit. Its unfortunate as he had a good regular season and he was better in playoffs last season than this but he can't be in the running for worst player on the team in the playoffs at this tenure and contract. Its really disappointing he didn't leave more on the ice even if injured.

Its like Mclellan nailed several years ago. You watch Nuge in playoffs and the sense is he's not giving it all on the ice. Mc said it in the nicest way possible but the message was pretty clear.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad