Player Discussion Ryan McLeod getting his chance

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
I thiink McLeod's hit a similar wall as Janmark did eariler in his career.

Yes, he can keep his heads above water playing centre at the NHL level, but he struggles to impact the game beyond just being "safe" at 5v5. RNH is another (far more highend) example for this.

He got pigeonholed at the 3C this season because the Oil don't have another option they trust. But McLeod has looked good playing with Drai in the past, so I do think there's some upside there. I hope the plan for the New Year is to give Holloway a shot at centre on a more sheltered third line, and see if he can grow into the role. Or if they need to go shopping at the TDL.

RNH-McDavid-Hyman
McLeod-Drai-Kane
Foegele-Holloway-Gags
Janmark-Ryan-Brown

I really like the look of that a lot. The top line just works, I think McLeod complements Drai and Kane well by being a McDavid-lite, Holloway and Foegele sound like a fun forechecking combo, which Gagner brings some offence to; and that 4th line is a quality defensive unit, even if their offense is limited.
They should trade for a veteran C like Bjugstad at the deadline.

Monahan would be enticing as a 3C, provided he can stay healthy.

Reactions: La Bamba

Gordy Elbows

Keep off my lawn
Oct 31, 2019
Where are all of the fans who wanted McLeod tossed into the mix to sweeten a trade?
I’m one of those fans. It seems that coach (finally) convinced McLeod that he’d be a better player around the net than from the 1st row of seats. And it’s working! Really love the results - as I do when any Oiler improves his game.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
The goal and assist by McLeod are testament to how much confidence he has right now. When things aren't going he would just pass instead of shoot on the goal. or at best stuff pads like so many players do. He's actually looking up at that play, spotting the opening and putting it top shelf. Loved that. The pass was from Gretzky's office. hehe. Gretz told him to do that. Or Coffey. jk.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
The goal and assist by McLeod are testament to how much confidence he has right now. When things aren't going he would just pass instead of shoot on the goal. or at best stuff pads like so many players do. He's actually looking up at that play, spotting the opening and putting it top shelf. Loved that. The pass was from Gretzky's office. hehe. Gretz told him to do that. Or Coffey. jk.

He's always had the skill but was very tentative (I said allergic to contact before in this thread in 21/22) without the confidence as you say. He had just as much skill as Benson and Marody and put up the same points in the AHL.

Thought I posted earlier but I guess I did not.

McLeod used to be (in his rookie AHL season) allergic to physical contact and a perimeter player. Look at him now.

This is why I never want to rush Bouchard and now Broberg (and also Lavoie and Holloway). It's best to learn down in the minors.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Hopefully his brothers issues don’t effect his game too much. Could be a really hard time for their family coming up.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Hopefully his brothers issues don’t effect his game too much. Could be a really hard time for their family coming up.
I think for the parents, and any remaining family, and the brother, yes. I don't how Ryan himself is impacted directly. In common parlance I am not my brothers keeper nor should any actions of my brother be associated with me. For those of us that have had Bro's or family members in trouble its important to remember that it really has nothing to do with us. It isn't our fault, it isn't our culpability in any way.

Nor do we know that McLeods brother wasn't involved in something that has been anything other than events that are very typical in the sporting world (not that they should be)

My own view, and nobody needs to subscribe to it, are that these young man are being dealt with more harshly due to the transgressions of Hockey Canada that sought to pay this off. So that the recoil and recrimination now is more severe, and that the young adults are paying partly for those actions of Hockey Canada. I'm referring to the actions of Hockey Canada trying to pay this out of court to make it go away. I'm not huge on specific cases occurring to "make an example". Such cases end up being singularly punitive, and without other changes ongoing situations remain.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Centre wing versatility is a significant competitive advantage of this team. We're seeing this value with McLeod catching fire using his speed and forechecking to help add secondary scoring and adrenaline line 2 as a winger. Seeing a much more confident player emerge during the streak firing more shots on net and greater inclination to retrieve pucks in battle areas.

I called for a McLeod, Holloway and Perry third line which I think can leverage the two young players speed with an elite competitor who agitates and carved out what will be a Hall of Fame career in the blue paint and battle areas on-ice. This will be a masterclass for both McLeod and Holloway to learn the mindset and attributes required to win championships. For McLeod specifically, growing his consistency to play a straight line game and grind for puck possession in the hard areas is the development piece which can really move his game in a significant way. The size, skating and solid two-way game is there.

Reactions: OilynutEsquire

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
Another reason why I think it would be a mistake to quadruple down on yet another Center at the TDL. Mcleod is GOOD ENOUGH. We don’t need another Center, we need a player type we don’t have, a sniping RWer.
1 for me is RH-RD4. Have to get someone in for Ceci.

Wouldn't mind me some MAF too. (Just do it, Holland)

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011

Matches the eye test, McLeod is a very good hockey player, great find by the team.

I really noticed how good he was defensively last night. He was flying and always disrupting plays and being in the right spots. Dudes 2 way game is extremely underrated cause he’s not doing it in a physical way. I’d like him to hit and punish people more, but there’s no denying he’s still very effective out there with his speed and pokecheck.

ManOfSteelI

Nov 5, 2018

Matches the eye test, McLeod is a very good hockey player, great find by the team.

I'd like to see the split between his second line and third line play. Production as a 3C has been near-zero, it wasn't long ago that many were calling for him to be shipped out for a legit 3C.

IMO, he should stay on the wing - it's clearly where most of his production has come from. It's great for Drai because he's strong defensively, too.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I'd like to see the split between his second line and third line play. Production as a 3C has been near-zero, it wasn't long ago that many were calling for him to be shipped out for a legit 3C.

IMO, he should stay on the wing - it's clearly where most of his production has come from. It's great for Drai because he's strong defensively, too.
I totally agree, just putting it out there that he's a very good player doing very good things.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad