Player Discussion Ryan McLeod getting his chance

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Didn't see a thread on the player, sorry if there is one.

Bakersfield fans please weigh in on what you think, you've seen this player more than I have.

I like what I've seen lately. Most of our bottomsix have struggled this season but McLeod playing usually responsible hockey and showing good jets on some plays getting back or pushing forward.

Last handful of games I'm seeing more confidence with puck, and one of my evaluations is how comfortable young players are carrying the puck. He passes this grade.

Filthy hands goal yesterday deking and tucking it in at speed. He's bringing pace to his game and makes it harder to see him coming, defend. He beat the goalie silly. I mean it wasn't even close. He took that goal confidently, and his first was nice too.

I'm thinking lanky skater, deceptive speed, tall, with some size. For older fans this kid reminds me a bit of Cowboy Bill Flett.

Theres a grit in this kids game and a expect to be here mentality I'm seeing. Not by accident that the 3rd line had their best game in weeks with McLeod centering it. He's bringing much more pace to that line than an older Derek Ryan is.

Mcleod has the best counting numbers of any of our bottomsix so far and played over 14mins last night centering a line. Its harder to play center, and he's doing it with little seeming fear. He's not tentative, some mistakes in his game, and last night, but he's cycling, he scored, and he's showing an interesting bit of timing skating into the slot. I like how he cloaks up out of the play and then comes in. Been a feature of both of his goals here so far. The line was faster last night, and was very good.

McLeod definitely warranting further look on that line. Foegele was struggling immensely in recent games before last night and Kass was up and down. But everything bringing it last night.

Last edited:

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
He is becoming much more involved physically (which was my issue with him), and playing with two physical players like Foegele and Kassian should help him develop that part of his game. His skating is fantastic, and I think some of the offence will come once he gets more confidence and ice time and responsibility.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
After seeing him live in the pre-season, I was quick to point out that he's 99.9999% going to facilitate in times that he shouldn't due to his experience and comfort level in the show. He's already feeling confident enough to use the middle ice and rush, but still needs more time to realize that he can be the finisher as well. The good news is we're already seeing glimpses of that.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Awful in preseason but has imporoved every game. Feel like he's being brought along properly. Same could be said for Benson. They are both reinventing themselves a bit.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
He's playing a fast, smart and heavy game. His goals have been goal-scorers goals which is a real positive for our 3rd line too.

Players like Bouch, McLeod, Yamo, Broberg and Skinner excelling makes our future decision making so much easier.
Yep. Surprised nobody is commenting on him today, or in the last week. The last multiple games he's looked like a player, a legit bottom Center option. He's looked better than Shore or Ryan in same capacity, playing with same players.

Last night he played over 14mins, huge for a young Center that wasn't expected to be a stud and that wasn't a first round draft. He not just played those minutes, his line was very good. He sparked the line, scored another goal. He seems to be one of those unheralded players that gets no love.

With McLeod, I'm spotting what he's bringing.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Not overly surprising that with more reps he's looking like a good NHLer. You could see it his first NHL camp with the Oilers after he was freshly drafted. The only concern was his tentative perimeter play which he has worked on improving a lot since his draft year. I still see his potential as an elite 2-way #3C. He understands the game well on both sides of the puck and already has a strong defensive game for a young player. He has elite skating and size give him the advantage on battles for loose pucks. And he has enough skill that with two competent wingers you can expect him to be a 30-40P guy when he's developed.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Who couldn't instantly love a guy with a Bobby Clarke smile. Funny how scoring just that first goal ignites the rocket boosters. Saw it in him and Yamo-deflated confidence, whatever other cliché you want to use (gripping the stick to tight) but when they put that first one in, you could just see the change in them and they're starting to take off.

Last edited:

duul

Jun 21, 2010
Seemed like he changed as a player last game. For some reason, I chalked that up to him going from the youngest/newest player on the club, to seeing Broberg coming in and thinking 'well, time to man up and get going.'

He did. That line looked amazing. I thought McLeod was going to end up as an AHL RNH, but he looked real good last night. Let's see how things go.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
McLeod doing more in his short time in a bottom 6 role than kaira did in a full season when he was with Edm. I exaggerate but still. Kaira showed me last night just how useless he still is. And we were stuck with him for what seemed like 10 years. Lol.

94 Oil Drops

McHy is the new McDrai.
Sep 19, 2019
Alberta
How awesome would it be if he could have a Bryan Rust kind of breakout and turn into a really effective full time NHLer? Man if Skinner and McLeod become what they could very well be towards the end of the season, this team is going to make some serious noise.

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
How awesome would it be if he could have a Bryan Rust kind of breakout and turn into a really effective full time NHLer? Man if Skinner and McLeod become what they could very well be towards the end of the season, this team is going to make some serious noise.
There’s a whole crop of young players graduating into the Oilers and not many are taking note. Bouchard, McLeod, Skinner, Broberg, Benson and soon Holloway

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I think playing with Foegele and Kassian has definitely helped him.

There's the physicality, but I think he's also learning you can still make individual plays as a third liner from them. He isn't playing as safe and passive. He's carrying the puck more, attacking lanes and showing off the hands.

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
Hes looked great the past few games with Kass and Foegele. His speed really helps that line, and happy to see him chip in with a couple goals.

He has elite level speed and could develop into a really useful player.

Suprisingly strong on the dot too.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I gotta admit I thought it was McDavid who scored on the feed from Foegele last night.

Its the speed and puck control. McLeod is able to race up ice with the puck. His speed is underrated, probably 2nd only to McD. But a lot of guys are fast on skates. Not a lot of them can carry the puck at top speed. McLeod can, and even looks comfortable doing it.

But he's showing some smarts too. Cloaking into scoring positions, being good on cycle, finding open spaces with ease. McLeod creates separation well, and even has hands.

This guy could break good. We might be seeing something develop here and the player really wants it, working real hard for his position.
McLeod drew enough attention to be the AHL callup last spring and he's being our best bottomsix Center option this season. He's young.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Bump.

McLeod with another beauty goal and again one of the best Oilers on the ice tonight. Making several plays. Set up his linemates multiple times tonight. In 2nd period one shift McLeod is first Oiler back for the puck, skates it out from behind his net, like a D, and with his filthy speed goes all the way up ice untouched and to another solid Ozone possession. Also in the period McLeod ragging the puck and then a beauty hook pass to the point for a clear shot attempt. McLeod is executing so many plays at high rate of play. Yet it almost nobody else commenting.

This player is really feeling confident and growing game.

Shanahanigans

Jun 16, 2011
He looks so good out there. He’s finally comfortable enough to make plays, and it’s so fun to watch. Did you guys see that rush he had in the first period where he went end to end and tried dangling the defender before the puck was knocked into a corner? The fact that he had the confidence to attack the Dman is so refreshing. He’s not playing tentative anymore and I love it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad