Player Discussion Ryan McLeod getting his chance

CrazyJoeDavola

Jun 17, 2011
His play, as of late, makes me erect. I wonder what we do for 3C, though. Move up Gags? But then 4C is cucked because the team doesnt seem to be big on Derek Ryan. Ideally, Gags stays on the 4C and just flexes if injuries happen.

Maybe the trade gods will gift us Monahan? But then our front office would actually have to do something...

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
I thiink McLeod's hit a similar wall as Janmark did eariler in his career.

Yes, he can keep his heads above water playing centre at the NHL level, but he struggles to impact the game beyond just being "safe" at 5v5. RNH is another (far more highend) example for this.

He got pigeonholed at the 3C this season because the Oil don't have another option they trust. But McLeod has looked good playing with Drai in the past, so I do think there's some upside there. I hope the plan for the New Year is to give Holloway a shot at centre on a more sheltered third line, and see if he can grow into the role. Or if they need to go shopping at the TDL.

RNH-McDavid-Hyman
McLeod-Drai-Kane
Foegele-Holloway-Gags
Janmark-Ryan-Brown

I really like the look of that a lot. The top line just works, I think McLeod complements Drai and Kane well by being a McDavid-lite, Holloway and Foegele sound like a fun forechecking combo, which Gagner brings some offence to; and that 4th line is a quality defensive unit, even if their offense is limited.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Bumpity bump. McLeod in hockey heaven right now partying it up with Drai and Foegele. Man are they lighting it up. Totally sweet. What a way to end a year.

This could be the best Oilers have been in a NYE game ever. Mcleod deserving every bit of credit. He's FAR more effective than Yamamoto. I was putting Mcleod in this spot for years, now its happening.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Ryan McLeod this season before the coaching change had 0G 2A 2Pts in 13GP.

Since, he has 7G 6A 13Pts in 21GP under KK/Coffey.

Pretty hard to ignore what a striking difference this is. McLeod was looking often deflated before the change. Like most young players he wasn't getting traction under Woody/Manson. Now he is.

This player has elite skating skills, has very good zone entry skills. That he wasn't being used as a topsix 3rd was inane. He's a better fit than Yamamoto and always was. Faster than Yama and a better passer. McLeod is miles better at gaining zone. Finally this is being utilized correctly.

Oilers

Feb 13, 2016
Ryan McLeod this season before the coaching change had 0G 2A 2Pts in 13GP.

Since, he has 7G 6A 13Pts in 21GP under KK/Coffey.

Pretty hard to ignore what a striking difference this is. McLeod was looking often deflated before the change. Like most young players he wasn't getting traction under Woody/Manson. Now he is.

This player has elite skating skills, has very good zone entry skills. That he wasn't being used as a topsix 3rd was inane. He's a better fit than Yamamoto and always was. Faster than Yama and a better passer. McLeod is miles better at gaining zone. Finally this is being utilized correctly.
What a turn around for McLeod. I was really impressed when he first joined the team, but he just kind of faded into the bottom 6 and I hated how he just wasn't aggressive in the corners.... obviously fast forward to now, he's become a difference maker.

GreeningOil

Yarpmeister
Jun 22, 2016
Saskatoon
young players take time to find their game and confidence. remember thins when holloway hasnt been amazing yet because these are the players that eventually turn into top 6 players to keep the pipeline flowing to be competitive for decades
This x1000.

In Edmonton, we as fans and the media expect young players to be extremely successful immediately.

I don’t know if it’s because we had a 19y/o Hart winner in McDavid or what. Many teams have young guys make a difference when they turn 23(just an arbitrary number) with many games of AHL, and NHL experience.

Some will have immediate impact, but we saw what happened with young players expected to take a huge role and make us competitive. It’s a recipe for disaster (I.e. Hall, Eberle, Nuge circa 2012-2015)

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Where are all of the fans who wanted McLeod tossed into the mix to sweeten a trade?
I'm your huckleberry, he was pretty terrible until getting onto Drai's line. Glad that he has woken up vs. continued to Connor Brown.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Also no one seems to ever mention this or maybe it went unnoticed. But the pre game optional skate before Clouder started his break out, Coffey had a heart to heart with him. They skated and talked for awhile, you could see McLeod listening intently and nodding his head with his signature smile on his face. They showed the video clip between plays during a game broadcast. The next game he puts up 2 points.. and hasn’t stopped rolling since.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Also no one seems to ever mention this or maybe it went unnoticed. But the pre game optional skate before Clouder started his break out, Coffey had a heart to heart with him. They skated and talked for awhile, you could see McLeod listening intently and nodding his head with his signature smile on his face. They showed the video clip between plays during a game broadcast. The next game he puts up 2 points.. and hasn’t stopped rolling since.
Pretty sure Coffey tells everyone "Make plays kid". And something repressed awakens in them.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Hey never sell "instilling confidence" short, it can really do wonders.
For sure. And HOW he instills it matters. Like there’s Tippet, “just execute better” or there’s whatever way Coffey does it.

By all accounts Coffey is great talker and charismatic too. Often the best story teller in the Wine rooms in interviews as little tidbits have leaked over the years.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
For sure. And HOW he instills it matters. Like there’s Tippet, “just execute better” or there’s whatever way Coffey does it.

By all accounts Coffey is great talker and charismatic too. Often the best story teller in the Wine rooms in interviews as little tidbits have leaked over the years.
He deserve all the credit in the WORLD for how far Desharnais has come as an NHL defenseman.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad