Player Discussion Ryan McLeod getting his chance

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Maybe McLeod needs to add some weight. He carrys the puck well through the neutral zone but shys away from the net. You would think after watching McDavid attack the net with his speed, McLeod would start doing that too..

Definition of a perimeter player. He certainly can skate, but he's fearful and likely lacks the man-strength to accomplish much else.

Unlike RNH (who some laughingly compared McLeod to a couple years ago), McLeod is imprecise with his skills (both shooting and passing), has no hands and most importantly lacks the high-end microprocessor that RNH has.

He doesn't have the skill for a high-end job nor the jam for a bottom end one.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Now, this thread has degenerated into, "who's got the biggest balls on here?!":laugh:

1703114885947.png

mkatcherin00

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2023
You don’t win cups with players like McLeod centering your 3rd line
Agreed.

I bet this guy goes to the locker room and actually thinks he is giving it his all lol. Bad culture. You need more guys who REALLY give it their all to show others what is expected.

Seriously, does even 40-50% of this team look like they are giving it their all every game? I know they are not machines, but there is so much inconsistency throughout.

elmeroil

Feb 3, 2013
I feel like you guys are really discounting how fast he skates though. Man this team has pissed me off so bad this year that I'm just laughing about all of it and crying at the same time...

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Its crazy that this team went from drafting coke machines to fragile glass boxes with engines on them.

Broberg and McLeod have been examples of this. Draft guys who were good at times in junior because they simply could skate circles around everyone. But slowly they get exposed at higher levels cause they don't do the rest well enough and the NHL can handle speed far better.

Both are larger bodies who skate super well but have the physicality of 12 year old Nuge. And the wild thing, especially on McLeods side...is its a choice. He isn't failing because he is too small, or isn't strong etc. He is just choosing to stay on the outside. He is just choosing to make dumb plays. Its all a choice. McLeod HAS the skills to be better. He has the frame and physical ability to do better. But he is choosing not to.

He in a way is the opposite of Hyman. Zach Hyman isn't a skilled player really. I would argue McLeod probably has better hockey skills. But Zach Hyman is substantially better because of how he works and the choices he makes.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Agreed.

I bet this guy goes to the locker room and actually thinks he is giving it his all lol. Bad culture. You need more guys who REALLY give it their all to show others what is expected.

Seriously, does even 40-50% of this team look like they are giving it their all every game? I know they are not machines, but there is so much inconsistency throughout.

This guy could learn a thing or two from Matt Hendricks.

... and before someone says "we traded Cogliano too young"... these guys are NOT the same. In fact, if you remember Cogliano in his 4 seasons in Edmonton, you'll realize we should already know what becomes of McLeod. He just doesn't have that same drive/engine.

Reactions: guymez

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Ryan McLeod deserves a healthy bump today. Two brilliantly taken goals. I've said this a lot but Mcleod was best under Tippett because his play was green lit under that coach and he was allowed greater responsibilities, was tried up and down the lineup and was granted minutes with alternately Drai or Nuge, Tipp was teasing greater game out of McLeod. That pretty much stopped in a dime under Woody and McLeod was considered only bottom line stuff, and pk. Wasn't getting much else, wasn't growing game. its as if it was a complete period of stagnation.

There is the possibility now that McLeod under coaching that believes in players making more plays, and trying more, and not less, that there could be some reborn effect. The absolute Joy of mcleod scoring, producing, getting a chance to play with Drai. McLeod was loving it and his play has been very involved on the whole road trip. EVen before, Mcleod has been ramping up the last 5 games or so. Seems excited again and flying like wind and making some plays.

Obviously Connor Brown being scratched was huge as well. Brown is the death of production and impact of any line he's on. Thats how bad Connor Brown has been this season.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Another comment that in the 16 GP since it was known Woody/Manson were being fired (Coffey and assistants had made adjutments in that last SEattle game Nov 11, that McLeod has 3G 5A in last 16games. This tracking to .500ppg in that stretch while being bottomsix vast majority of time and even playing with horrible Connor Brown for a stretch (of course in which no production occurred from anybody) Is McLeod starting to find some game again. I hope so.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Ryan McLeod deserves a healthy bump today. Two brilliantly taken goals. I've said this a lot but Mcleod was best under Tippett because his play was green lit under that coach and he was allowed greater responsibilities, was tried up and down the lineup and was granted minutes with alternately Drai or Nuge, Tipp was teasing greater game out of McLeod. That pretty much stopped in a dime under Woody and McLeod was considered only bottom line stuff, and pk. Wasn't getting much else, wasn't growing game. its as if it was a complete period of stagnation.

There is the possibility now that McLeod under coaching that believes in players making more plays, and trying more, and not less, that there could be some reborn effect. The absolute Joy of mcleod scoring, producing, getting a chance to play with Drai. McLeod was loving it and his play has been very involved on the whole road trip. EVen before, Mcleod has been ramping up the last 5 games or so. Seems excited again and flying like wind and making some plays.

Obviously Connor Brown being scratched was huge as well. Brown is the death of production and impact of any line he's on. Thats how bad Connor Brown has been this season.

It's a fair point....

I'd still like to see him traded while he has value. He still seems like a poor fit on a team with 5 star-level top-6 forwards. He's not a real fit as that 6th forward... we need someone with either a) more size, or b) more skill, or c) more grit, or d) stronger two-way play.

He's got utility, I just don't think it's with us. We aren't short on his biggest strength (speed) we are short on a, c, and d.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
It's a fair point....

I'd still like to see him traded while he has value. He still seems like a poor fit on a team with 5 star-level top-6 forwards. He's not a real fit as that 6th forward... we need someone with either a) more size, or b) more skill, or c) more grit, or d) stronger two-way play.

He's got utility, I just don't think it's with us. We aren't short on his biggest strength (speed) we are short on a, c, and d.
We are short on speed. Last night we're using all of Gagner, Ryan, Erne Hamblin, and Janmark while still decent jets has lost a step.

Mcleod is helpful with his speed here and with his ability to easily skate into Ozone while playing with players with even a modicum of skill. The D again being required to make plays in transition is making it easier for players like Mcleod to unpack what they bring. Which is to skate like the wind, gain, zone, and pass to establish Ozone possession. When Mcleod is playing with somebody with the skill to have the puck, even a Gagner, he's fine.

When McLeod is playing with offensive lumps he can't establish anything in ozone or any possession or pressure. McLeod is not the ideal puck handler once in zone, he needs an outlet. Obviously Drai is the gold standard at that. But it occasionally works for Mcleod to have that or somebody with skill on a puck. Even Lavoie in his showings here was showing me he can be a hold player in the Ozone.

Now its fair for people to say that Mcleod IS one of the offensive lumps. But he's the only one currently here I see in bottomsix that is young and potential to grow his game. I think we have to wait. This would be a regret move I fear.

Last edited:

elmeroil

Feb 3, 2013
I honestly don't remember the last time I saw him in front of the net and boom 2 goals. That's not a coincidence but I'm also not expecting him to make that a regular occurrence. If he did that more the guy could be a solid 20 goal scorer.

Reactions: Gordy Elbows

Zguy370

Dec 25, 2007
Nice to finally see him finally score a couple, now trade him asap while his value is somewhat higher

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad