Player Discussion Ryan McDonagh

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I wonder how difficult the process is to decide. My guess is it wouldn't include close rivals since they likely won't trade him there anyway.

Arizona, Buffalo, Montreal, Florida, Detroit, Vancouver and Ottawa seem like obvious choices.

Edmonton, Vegas and Winnipeg too though perhaps he could be convinced to go to those teams.

Perhaps swap Calgary in there for Vegas.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I wonder how difficult the process is to decide. My guess is it wouldn't include close rivals since they likely won't trade him there anyway.

If I had to pick 10 teams, it would be something like this:

Buffalo
Arizona
Carolina
Florida
All Canadian teams minus Toronto

Reactions: Ori

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
If I had to pick 10 teams, it would be something like this:

Buffalo
Arizona
Carolina
Florida
All Canadian teams minus Toronto

I find it interesting that people always include Vancouver on the no trade list. I think that's my favorite NA city. Is it the taxes/cost of living? The pressure of playing there?

It's not the natural beauty, modern amenities, and relatively temperate climate that's for sure.

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
I find it interesting that people always include Vancouver on the no trade list. I think that's my favorite NA city. Is it the taxes/cost of living? The pressure of playing there?

It's not the natural beauty, modern amenities, and relatively temperate climate that's for sure.

Probably the travel.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York

I'd guess these days its because their team is pretty terrible.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

Because they suck.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003

Jim Benning just signed an extension.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
Trying to get into the head of our GM in Winnipeg. Problem with acquiring McDonough is the cost of doing so. Jets have so many A+ 18-22 year old forward players/prospects who throughout every significant injury have filled in admirably.

Many Jets fans thought process is after such a great season built off the backs of players that started the season in the AHL, is it a slap in the face to the prospect pool as a whole to start dealing them off, particularly if they are happy in Winnipeg, when there's one high level player of note that requested a trade last season? I'm referring to Jacob Trouba.

Jets have significant depth on the right side of their defence. The loss of Trouba still leaves Byfuglien, Myers & rookie Poolman who is ready ready for 3rd line minutes but can't crap the lineup over Troubs, Buff & Stretch.

Meanwhile the Jets LD has Morrissey & recent free agent signing Kulikov then a big drop off to Chiarot. Enstrom's contract expires this season freeing up nearly 6 million, all of which (& more) Trouba's camp will want during his RFA negotiations this summer. For what? So the Jets can spend $20 million on RD, when the LD is 2-3 years away from a prospect like Logan Stanley (if ever) or Dylan Sandberg being NHL ready.

McDonough really fits our needs on LD & all of Trouba, Buff, Myers is a luxury no NHL team can afford, particularly one tha is littered with soon to be RFA's wanting to cash in.

Usually at this time of year it's a 3-1 deal. A 1st rounder, a highly touted prospect & a roster player for a player like McD. You rarely seem a #1 defensemen traded from a playoff team, but if it helps both organizations now as well as the future, why not?

For this to happen however, it would be the Rangers adding not the Jets. 1.5 years of McDonough doesn't equal a 23 year old smooth skating two-way #1 defenceman.

What would the Rangers add that the Jets would find useful in their playoff run?

What about adding more to the deal? As mentioned the Jets have a dirth of A+ forward propects. Coach Maurice & Chevy loved the two-way play of Frolik before losing him as a UFA. Since then we immediately acquired Perreault has filled Frolik's role & then some. He's easily the best two way forward on the team. 1st line or 4th, wherever he plays he succeeds. Zuccarello reminds me of him & having another player like this on the roster + McDonough makes the Jets a legitimate contender for the next two seasons.

McD & Zucc for Trouba +?

Reactions: Samuel Culper III

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Trying to get into the head of our GM in Winnipeg. Problem with acquiring McDonough is the cost of doing so. Jets have so many A+ 18-22 year old forward players/prospects who throughout every significant injury have filled in admirably.

Many Jets fans thought process is after such a great season built off the backs of players that started the season in the AHL, is it a slap in the face to the prospect pool as a whole to start dealing them off, particularly if they are happy in Winnipeg, when there's one high level player of note that requested a trade last season? I'm referring to Jacob Trouba.

Jets have significant depth on the right side of their defence. The loss of Trouba still leaves Byfuglien, Myers & rookie Poolman who is ready ready for 3rd line minutes but can't crap the lineup over Troubs, Buff & Stretch.

Meanwhile the Jets LD has Morrissey & recent free agent signing Kulikov then a big drop off to Chiarot. Enstrom's contract expires this season freeing up nearly 6 million, all of which (& more) Trouba's camp will want during his RFA negotiations this summer. For what? So the Jets can spend $20 million on RD, when the LD is 2-3 years away from a prospect like Logan Stanley (if ever) or Dylan Sandberg being NHL ready.

McDonough really fits our needs on LD & all of Trouba, Buff, Myers is a luxury no NHL team can afford, particularly one tha is littered with soon to be RFA's wanting to cash in.

Usually at this time of year it's a 3-1 deal. A 1st rounder, a highly touted prospect & a roster player for a player like McD. You rarely seem a #1 defensemen traded from a playoff team, but if it helps both organizations now as well as the future, why not?

For this to happen however, it would be the Rangers adding not the Jets. 1.5 years of McDonough doesn't equal a 23 year old smooth skating two-way #1 defenceman.

What would the Rangers add that the Jets would find useful in their playoff run?

What about adding more to the deal? As mentioned the Jets have a dirth of A+ forward propects. Coach Maurice & Chevy loved the two-way play of Frolik before losing him as a UFA. Since then we immediately acquired Perreault has filled Frolik's role & then some. He's easily the best two way forward on the team. 1st line or 4th, wherever he plays he succeeds. Zuccarello reminds me of him & having another player like this on the roster + McDonough makes the Jets a legitimate contender for the next two seasons.

McD & Zucc for Trouba +?

Would have to be a heck of a plus.

Reactions: Off Sides

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
I think the Jets would be better off waiting to move Trouba to when he can sign an extension, so the trading team and Trouba can work out his next deal pre-trade.

I think if not, most team would ask, What if Trouba does not like them, or he does not like what they offer him in his next deal? They would end up in the same position as the Jets are.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
Would have to be a heck of a plus.

Or you leave it as Trouba for McDonough +?

I'm certainly not suggesting that Trouba alone is worth both, simply that the plus may not need to be "a heck of a plus" to acquire for a 28 year old defensemen & a 3 year old forward that are both becoming UFA's in 1.5 years when one of the best under 24 year old defensemen in the league would be coming your way in return.

Last edited:

Mikachu93

Formerly MacTruck
Aug 1, 2010
NY
Or you leave it as Trouba for McDonough +?

I'm certainly not suggesting that Trouba alone is worth both, simply that the plus may not need to be "a heck of a plus" to acquire for a 28 year old defensemen & a 3 year old forward that are both becoming UFA's in 1.5 years when one of the best under 24 year old defensemen in the league would be coming your way in return.

McDonagh + Zuccarello for Trouba + Roslovic

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Trouba after his current deal has one RFA year left, Should he decide he does not like the team who holds his right, or not like their offer he can go through arbitration. Any award would be a single year, if he plays out that single year he becomes a UFA.

If he goes that route the trading team is getting 2.5 seasons worth of Trouba before he can walk. If Zucc and McD value is being based off 1.5 years, Trouba's value should be based on 2.5 years.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
Trouba after his current deal has one RFA year left, Should he decide he does not like the team who holds his right, or not like their offer he can go through arbitration. Any award would be a single year, if he plays out that single year he becomes a UFA.

If he goes that route the trading team is getting 2.5 seasons worth of Trouba before he can walk. If Zucc and McD value is being based off 1.5 years, Trouba's value should be based on 2.5 years.

A fair point. There's certainly no guarantee's Trouba will be happy anywhere that's not Detroit (home state) or Florida (where his GF lives & works). No pieces from either of those teams are as attractive as Zucc & McD are.

I'm a lot less worried about Trouba being a contract prima donna as I was last year. Since he signed his new deal he's appeared fully content, saying & doing all the right things on & off the ice. His recent injury overlapped some of Scheifele's & the two of them travelled to Minneapolis for the Super Bowl together & were seen on camera enjoying each others company. Trouba may well be warming up to Winnipeg, particularly with the this years success. Only our GM knows for sure. Fans are just getting worried that all is not as rosy as it currently appears. Trouba's last contract hold-out cost us a play-off appearance.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
What would actually make some sense is the Rangers have already decided to deal McDonagh and they are keeping him out. If Johnson is coming back, they may be waiting to find a taker for him simultaneously.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
It actually does make some sense for Tampa. I brought him up a couple weeks ago as a guy the Lightning might want to get out from under. In 2019 they're going to have to give Kucherov a mega deal, and they'll have to re-sign Point. Vasilevsky comes due the following summer. Callahan will be on the books through 2020. They have two defensemen under contract beyond next summer. Dealing Johnson gives them some cap flexibility. That being said, dealing a core piece like Johnson at the trade deadline could really upset the locker room and might be too much for Yzerman.

However, if the Rangers got him back in the deal, there are plenty of teams looking for help at center. Montreal and Columbus would be all over him I'm sure.

This along with perhaps not having an adequate replacement for him right away is why I don't think they do this.

Maybe they make a deal for another forward, but there would have to be more than just TJ coming back, a lot more.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
This along with perhaps not having an adequate replacement for him right away is why I don't think they do this.

Maybe they make a deal for another forward, but there would have to be more than just TJ coming back, a lot more.

So theoretically:

Johnson + Foote + Howden + TB 1st

The Rangers trade Johnson to Montreal for Montreal’s 1st 18 + Galchenyuk

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
If the Rangers are acquiring Johnson, they’re moving someone. I’d imagine it’s Johnson. I’d venture a guess that Montreal would be looking for a center.

Good point.

Still, I'm not optimistic about the return we're looking at for McD here.

I'm nervous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad