Player Discussion Ryan McDonagh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
This along with perhaps not having an adequate replacement for him right away is why I don't think they do this.

Maybe they make a deal for another forward, but there would have to be more than just TJ coming back, a lot more.

Well, I think it stands to reason that if they're moving Johnson, then the Rangers are sending more back. Grabner, Nash, or possibly even Zucc. I made sort of a joke post a few weeks ago about Tampa being able to fit Zucc and McD with 50% retained on both simply by moving Johnson out.

I have no doubt Tampa could include enough pieces to entice the Rangers in a deal like that, but the problem is it's such a huge trade that it's almost impossible to pull off. There's something to be said about Zucc and McD having familiarity with Callahan and Girardi, but to disrupt the team that much this late in the season seems irrational.

JayMan82

Apr 5, 2006
South Carolina
So theoretically:

Johnson + Foote + Howden + TB 1st

The Rangers trade Johnson to Montreal for Montreal’s 1st 18 + Galchenyuk

I think we might have to give up more, but at the same time, Johnson has 6 years left @ 5M with a NMC hitting shortly. Not out of the realm of possibilities, especially if they plan on resigning McD.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
It actually does make some sense for Tampa. I brought him up a couple weeks ago as a guy the Lightning might want to get out from under. In 2019 they're going to have to give Kucherov a mega deal, and they'll have to re-sign Point. Vasilevsky comes due the following summer. Callahan will be on the books through 2020. They have two defensemen under contract beyond next summer. Dealing Johnson gives them some cap flexibility. That being said, dealing a core piece like Johnson at the trade deadline could really upset the locker room and might be too much for Yzerman.

However, if the Rangers got him back in the deal, there are plenty of teams looking for help at center. Montreal and Columbus would be all over him I'm sure.
It’s not just flexbility for them, it is for us if you think about it. It let’s us explore a market for Hayes or Miller if we don’t want to sign them long term. Johnson at 6 yrs $5M per gives us a guy that can slot in at C or RW

Reactions: Trxjw

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
I like Tyler, and he fills a need for the Rangers, but the add on better be a f***ing premium.

I'm not opposed to a top 6 center coming back.

If you get two of their prime prospects and a 1st ... With no retention. That's a good deal

Reactions: Trxjw

ThirdEye

Nov 28, 2006
New York
Johnson would be a good grab at the deadline as he turns into a monster come playoffs, but given that we probably won't make the postseason next year or even the year after it doesn't really make sense

And given his playoff performances, I just don't see Tampa getting rid of him if they actually want to win it all. It's counter-intuitive really

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
Have we gotten any updates as to his injury status? Or is it one if those "we are going to keep him out until after the TDL" type things?

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Have we gotten any updates as to his injury status? Or is it one if those "we are going to keep him out until after the TDL" type things?

I thought it was telling that Sam didn’t even mention McDonagh at the end of the game when he was talking about Buch coming back soon.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
That would be a very good return being that Montreal pick will be a lottery pick.

Just as an aside, I was mainly spitballinf of the type of deal I would be expecting should TB include Johnson. We just saw a deal very similar to this:

To OTT:
Matt Duchene

To COL:
Andrew Hammond + Samuel Girard + Vladimir Kamenev + Shane Bowers + OTT 1st '18 + OTT 3rd '19 + NSH 2nd '18

To NSH:
Kyle Turris

So basically:

To TB:
Ryan McDonagh

To NYR:
Cal Foote + Brett Howden + TB 1st '18 + TB 2nd '18 (for the fact that Ottawa's 1st will be higher) + MON 1st '18 (for now let's say this is top-5 protected) + Alex Galchenyuk

To MON:
Tyle Johnson

Are Foote and Howden better or worse than Giradi and Bowers? I'd say maybe slightly worse, but not by much. Galchenyuk has been on the block for a while. Lot's of moving pieces

Reactions: Amazing Kreiderman

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Well, I think it stands to reason that if they're moving Johnson, then the Rangers are sending more back. Grabner, Nash, or possibly even Zucc. I made sort of a joke post a few weeks ago about Tampa being able to fit Zucc and McD with 50% retained on both simply by moving Johnson out.

I have no doubt Tampa could include enough pieces to entice the Rangers in a deal like that, but the problem is it's such a huge trade that it's almost impossible to pull off. There's something to be said about Zucc and McD having familiarity with Callahan and Girardi, but to disrupt the team that much this late in the season seems irrational.
Not interested in Tyler Johnson - we need their young top end D prospects if they have plans to move either Zucc or Ryan Mc. to Tampa.

And MTL is in rebuild mode - just as us so I doubt it will happen. Not really interested in Alex Galchenyuk, but if they move him which make no sense for MTL based on age reason. Although MTL will ask for a 1st him, which is the main reason he won`t be moved to NYR.

Last edited:

alkurtz

Nov 26, 2006
Charlotte, NC
Maybe I'm just suspicious, but there is something strange going on here regarding McD's purported injury. No updates, no information, no visibility, no injury that we could see in his last game, no nothing. I know that he has been dealing with some lingering issues, but that "lingering" has gone on for a long time, with no end in sight.

It would seem to me that they are deliberately holding him out from games to prevent either further or new injuries. I know that teams in all sports pull players from lineups at the last second, but this "last second" has gone on for a long time.

What upsets me about this (before I go on, I must say that I am completely in with trading him) is the team is in a death spiral and they may be holding out their best player deliberately. Isn't there something vaguely unethical about this? Isn't there something that conflicts with fans (well, maybe not as fanatic fans) paying good money to see a quality product? Isn't this just wrong on multiple levels?

Again, I am for trading him. I understand the need to protect a valuable asset so as to maximize his value. It surprises me that none of the beat writers, always looking for a headline worthy story, have not jumped on this: unless of course he is really hurt. But why haven't they caught wind of what the injury is? Why hasn't anyone been able to interview him? (maybe they have and I missed it?)

Sometimes, it makes me believe that a trade is already in place. But why then hasn't it been consummated? The Rangers can't knowingly trade a player who is hurt to a team expecting to get a healthy player. All trades are dependent on physicals.

The whole situation is strange.

jwelles17

Apr 23, 2012
Very strange that i just came onto the forum to see what has been going on with McDonagh and if he is actually hurt. I too haven't heard of an injury and speculated a big trade is in the works so they don't want to risk the injury. But why would they then not bench Nash and Grabner as well? Would that be too obvious? And why would they have not traded him by now if they had something in place?

JayMan82

Apr 5, 2006
South Carolina
The wait could be cap related (the longer he’s on our roster, the less the acquiring team has to pay his salary). Also, the healthier he is, the better for the team attaining him. Lastly, it’s better off that he isn’t logging icetime on this dumpster fire, it would likely lower his value and increase the possibility of a freak injury.

JayMan82

Apr 5, 2006
South Carolina
Very strange that i just came onto the forum to see what has been going on with McDonagh and if he is actually hurt. I too haven't heard of an injury and speculated a big trade is in the works so they don't want to risk the injury. But why would they then not bench Nash and Grabner as well? Would that be too obvious? And why would they have not traded him by now if they had something in place?

Regarding Grabner/Nash, its simply a numbers game. We can only call up so many players and the risk of injury is likely to be higher for a defenseman than it is for a forward. McD is also our most valuable trade piece.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->