Player Discussion Ryan McDonagh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zil

Shrug
Feb 9, 2006
His production alone is reason enough to call it a good season. And he was playing the most minutes of anyone, every night. It sucks that Skjei and Smith go so well together, because I would love to see McD with Smith

If only we had someone else who has strong chemistry with Skjei just sitting in the pressbox. That would be extremely convenient.

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY
I know. Everyone here seems to think Clendening is Bobby Orr. He is just a PMD-version of McIlrath. Not good enough for the NHL. Several teams have come to that conclusion already

I've said this 100 times, and will say it again, NOBODY is arguing that Clendening is the next Bobby Orr.

But, he's outplayed most of the d-men on this team this season (sans McD, Skjei, and Smith since he's been acquired), plus the underlying stats and eye test prove that. And from his play this season, he's definitely at least a 3rd pairing d-man in this league.

I feel like people like you just bring up the Orr comparison to be annoying.

Also, I bet you must have the same argument with Stralman. Several teams had let him go and concluded he wasn't good enough. Players can develop after they leave their teams. Also, with how AV has handled d-men since he's been here, I don't exactly trust him 100% when it comes to making the right decisions there.

Zil

Shrug
Feb 9, 2006
I know. Everyone here seems to think Clendening is Bobby Orr. He is just a PMD-version of McIlrath. Not good enough for the NHL. Several teams have come to that conclusion already

He's not Bobby Orr. He is a very good 4-6 defenseman though and would be a huge upgrade over either of Staal or Holden. Clendening's contributions would be a net positive. Staal and Holden are heavily in the negative.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I've said this 100 times, and will say it again, nobody is arguing that Clendening is Bobby Orr.

But, he's outplayed most of the d-men on this team this season (sans McD, Skjei, and Smith since he's been acquired). And from his play this season, he's definitely at least a 3rd pairing d-man in this league.

Also, I bet you must have the same argument with Stralman. Several teams had let him go and concluded he wasn't good enough. Players can develop after they leave their teams.

I just don't see why Clendening deserves to be on the ice. He brings offense, yes. But defensively he isn't better than Holden. He gets favourable match-ups that inflate his possession numbers

lilphildub

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2009
I just don't see why Clendening deserves to be on the ice. He brings offense, yes. But defensively he isn't better than Holden. He gets favourable match-ups that inflate his possession numbers

Because he's just as good as Holden and staal defensively. And then is wayyyyy better offensively. So it's clear as day he should be in the lineup over at least one of them

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
McDonagh had a nice chance in the first and hit the shaft of Price's stick. Looked labeled for the top corner.

RangerFan10

Because he's just as good as Holden and staal defensively. And then is wayyyyy better offensively. So it's clear as day he should be in the lineup over at least one of them
Is he really "wayyyyyy" better defensively? With Clendening I see an unpoised/nervous player when he has the puck. I think like Pirri, when he got put into the lineup and the reasoning was the PP would be better, you rarely saw overwhelming results.

I appreciate him as a 7th d-man, but it doesnt look like anything comes easy. He reminds me of an offensive-minded Steve Eminger.

I don't think it would've been a good idea to put him into the Montreal series after it had already started. He hasn't played in quite some time. I'd say if there was ever a time to give him a shot, it would be Game 1 in Ottawa. But I also think Staal and Holden had better games last night than they had all series.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Totally expected them to get pulled over by police.

Hehe, yeah, I saw it on twitter earlier - it was amusing. :laugh:
Conclusion Rick Nash is the only one who are thinking about a new season - most have a summer vacation! ;)

Last edited:

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Three wins in 13 games. The team is lifeless to start every game. Yes the coach is meh, but where is the captain in all this?

Ori

Nov 7, 2014
Norway
I was about to ask in the post game topic.. Is it the coach responsibility or players concerning effort & compete level?

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
It's definitely both.

The thing about being captain...you have a responsibility beyond your own play. He's gotta find a way to get his team going.
how do you propose that? yell at them?

it's a whole system breakdown and IDK what more you want him to do other than play very well. which he has.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
how do you propose that? yell at them?

it's a whole system breakdown and IDK what more you want him to do other than play very well. which he has.

The system--crappy as it is--obviously doesn't advocate blind passes up the middle, leisurely backchecks, and 40 minute efforts. The team is playing bad hockey. Yes McD is playing up to his standard and that's great but his responsibilities go beyond that. He's not just there to chat with refs outside the official's circle. Unless he is--that would be unfortunate.

Last edited:

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Abdominal strain. Definitely out against Carolina tomorrow. Being said he's been dealing with it for a while and hasn't got better. sucks but if he needs to heal thats more important in long run. Just hope its a minor muscle issue

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Abdominal strain. Definitely out against Carolina tomorrow. Being said he's been dealing with it for a while and hasn't got better. sucks but if he needs to heal thats more important in long run. Just hope its a minor muscle issue

Makes sense, can tell with the way he has looked out there. Hope he can heal up and get back 1oo%

Reactions: bl02

Ori

Nov 7, 2014
Norway
I thought it was about his shoulder, but if we are talking about surgery here kind of injury - Ryan can be out for a long while.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Yeah this is not good news. Someone here noticed McD didn't seem to be skating the way he can and something was holding him back. This certainly would justify his notion. If he has been playing with this "abdominal strain", I would tend to think that he could have made it worse than the original injury. I suppose our defense was so suspect, we simply couldn't survive without him. Lately our team defense has been better, so now maybe the time is right. Get healthy soon we need you Captain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad