Player Discussion Ryan Getzlaf

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012
It was ironic that the one time he decided to wind up for a huge slapper was as the puck carrier on the wing on a 3-on-1... probably the only situation where he should absolutely look to pass first.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
He was pretty good against the Bs I thought. Had 5 shots and was creating a lot.

haters gonna hate though I guess.

I think he has been fine. It’s an adjustment period. New coach and system with new linemates, so it takes time. He usually gets off to slow starts (as does the rest of the team) but then dials it up.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
He's been good when he has the puck, his skating is just putrid right now. He's moving like Perry.

Reactions: Sean Garrity

goosemooseduck

Mar 19, 2009
When he slows down to 2014 Heatley level, he should retire. As a Duck.

Just think of it. That's his 15th season with the Ducks. He's the only Duck remaining from that glorious 06-07 Duck's roster.

It would be a sin to trade Getzlaf.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
He's been good when he has the puck, his skating is just putrid right now. He's moving like Perry.

That’s what I’m seeing too. His hands, shot, physicality are all still there but he’s skating at the same speed Joe Thornton skates are.

One encouraging sign on the PP I saw against the Bruins is a couple of the shifts he was stationed in front of the net. Not sure if thats what they’re practicing or if he just happened to go there but I think if they keep using him there our PP and his production will be better off for it.

Reactions: Ducks DVM

Sean Garrity

Quack Quack Quack!
Dec 25, 2007
Dee Eff UU
That’s what I’m seeing too. His hands, shot, physicality are all still there but he’s skating at the same speed Joe Thornton skates are.

One encouraging sign on the PP I saw against the Bruins is a couple of the shifts he was stationed in front of the net. Not sure if thats what they’re practicing or if he just happened to go there but I think if they keep using him there our PP and his production will be better off for it.

I saw this as well and am hoping it was planned and not just part of the rotation that will occur on PPs at time. As great as he is at controlling the play, he really kills a PP by doing it and maybe it will take a change in coaching to put him in a position where he really can't do that by putting him in front of the net. I think he would also work in that little pivot position in the middle of the ice where he wouldn't be able to play slow and given his passing and vision.

Reactions: Paul4587

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Leads the league in takeaways. I think he`s transforming well to being a different player - stripping away pucks from players with his smarts and long reach, hits people more (imo) and even goes in front of the net. He even shot the puck last night. I really hope he gets faster but not sure it will happen :(

DigiDuck

More covfefe please.
Jan 11, 2019
Burbank
The days of Hulkzlaf are gone, especially if the nagging injuries are catching up to him and he's not going to skate, but he's still the team's engine and will always be a threat as long as he can still make those passes. However, if he's not going to skate into better positions to make said passes, it's going to be a rough road. Really not liking how often he's coasting through the NZ and looking for the low-percentage pass. Especially considering how many of these forwards can't seem to receive a pass.

Reactions: KyleJRM

FiveHoleTickler

Sponsor
Sep 21, 2018
Guess I'm not seeing what everyone else is. Looks pretty good to me still.

Watch him next game. He's behind he play quite a bit.

There have also been some baffling unforced turnovers. Although he's usually good for one per game, they've been piling up. Part of the reason for this is he seems to be trying to do too much and there isn't much chemistry with whichever wingers he's playing with on any given night.

For all his faults so far this season, it's not for lack of trying and I think that's a good sign for him getting back on track as the season progresses.

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
I was scrolling through all time point leaders and realised that Getzlaf has total of 928 regular season points and he's currently at 106th in total points all time. I had no idea he was that high. He'll very likely rise to top 100 during this season and should get over 1000 points during next season. Paul Kariya is 89th with 989 points but he will likely be passed by Eric Staal and Patrick Kane during this season. It would be cool if Getzlaf ends up close to Kariya if he's going to retire after his contract ends. Would be cool to have three Ducks icons in the top 100.

Reactions: Paul4587

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Also worth noting that he’s 60 behind Teemu for the Ducks in all time scoring. Probably unlikely he hits it this year but barring injury he will definitely get there early next season.

Reactions: JabbaJabba
Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
I was scrolling through all time point leaders and realised that Getzlaf has total of 928 regular season points and he's currently at 106th in total points all time. I had no idea he was that high. He'll very likely rise to top 100 during this season and should get over 1000 points during next season. Paul Kariya is 89th with 989 points but he will likely be passed by Eric Staal and Patrick Kane during this season. It would be cool if Getzlaf ends up close to Kariya if he's going to retire after his contract ends. Would be cool to have three Ducks icons in the top 100.
He flies under the radar here because there's such a skewed perspective. He's also 59th all time in playoff points (7th active) with a pretty easy shot at the top 30s if we can make the playoffs a few more times, ahead of many, many HOFers. He's a pretty easy HOF pick already but at times you get the feeling that in 10 years his HF legacy will be "bad skater who made a lot of dumb drop passes." Ridiculous.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
I hope he retires playing only for the Ducks and that he is able to remain healthy and good enough to reach 1000 points with the Ducks.

I also wish he would shoot the puck more because he has such a good shot and we really need goal scoring.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
I hope he retires playing only for the Ducks and that he is able to remain healthy and good enough to reach 1000 points with the Ducks.

I also wish he would shoot the puck more because he has such a good shot and we really need goal scoring.

If he hits 50 this year he needs 27 going into his last season to hit the mark. Barring missing 30+ games to injury (fingers crossed he stays healthy) he will hit 1000 for us.

Reactions: Ducks DVM

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Has Getzlaf ever had a season like this before where he starts first month with more Goals than Assists ?

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
The Comtois and Getzlaf combo is starting to find some nice chemistry.

interestingly enough their possession numbers have plummeted since swapping Kase out for Comtois. Hopefully they can keep up the production though, if they can continue to get results then their underlying numbers are irrelevant.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad