Player Discussion Ryan Getzlaf

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Game 6 definitely is not on him. Him not producing in 4 games though he does deserve some criticism for. That being said there was a tweet with the numbers the Preds held the star players to on opposing teams in the playoffs and Getzlaf fared by far the best of anyone else listed. Kane, Toews, Tarasenko etc all had worse numbers than Getz did.

terranraida

#RyanGetzlafIsASaint
Feb 27, 2014
Richmond, VA
Getzlaf did everything we could have asked of him. He made brilliant passes, had some great shooting opportunities, and worked like a rented mule, blocking heavy shots and playing hard.

Sometimes you just run into a goalie possessed.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
there's a lot of reasons we didn't make the cup finals. Getzlaf is far from the reason though. I'll take that playoff Getzlaf every year.

pbgoalie

Aug 8, 2010
I've been a pretty consistent Getzlaf complainer,
But in terms of improvement, he stepped up a lot imo.

He had a few moments, but I'm not certain after the beating they all get that you can't
Have those moments.

I'm hoping he is inspired enough to see he can be dominant with the focus he had this year,
Would be fun to see for a few years if he does!!

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
This thread could do with a bump given how great he’s been:

When you factor in everything if he has another year or two like this this guy is going to go down as far and away the best all around player in franchise history. Nieds and Pronger were better at their best but their careers here were short lived and Teemu while being a prolific offensive threat didn’t bring the all around game or playoff performances Getzlaf did.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
This thread could do with a bump given how great he’s been:

When you factor in everything if he has another year or two like this this guy is going to go down as far and away the best all around player in franchise history. Nieds and Pronger were better at their best but their careers here were short lived and Teemu while being a prolific offensive threat didn’t bring the all around game or playoff performances Getzlaf did.

He already is, Teemu never controlled games like Getzlaf does, the whole game plays at his tempo when he's on the ice.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
He already is, Teemu never controlled games like Getzlaf does, the whole game plays at his tempo when he's on the ice.
Teemu was also a 50 goal scorer and 100 point player in his prime. He then returned to the team and was a 45 goal 90 point player for a couple years too. The linemate argument is meaningless since they both played with a great winger (Kariya/Perry)

I think they're pretty close in terms of best Duck of all time. Sure, Teemu didn't have the all around game Getzlaf did, but he was objectively better offensively

Last edited:
Reactions: Paul4587
Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
Completely disagree. Teemu in his prime was an unstoppable offensive zone player. His rookie season and his mighty ducks season while Kariya was out are among the best seasons by a right wing all time. Just because he wasn't always carrying the puck doesn't mean he wasn't controlling the game.

Reactions: AngelDuck

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Completely disagree. Teemu in his prime was an unstoppable offensive zone player. His rookie season and his mighty ducks season while Kariya was out are among the best seasons by a right wing all time. Just because he wasn't always carrying the puck doesn't mean he wasn't controlling the game.

Yeah, the guy was crazy good. 1997-1998 Kariya only played in 22 games. Teemu still put up 52 goals. Just dominant. He should have won the Hart that year, given the situation

Reactions: Boogernaut
Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
Yeah, the guy was crazy good. 1997-1998 Kariya only played in 22 games. Teemu still put up 52 goals. Just dominant. He should have won the Hart that year, given the situation
I'm convinced he'd have a lot more hardware if the NHL had the ease of nationwide viewing in the 90s that it does now. He for sure would have some more Rocket trophies if they'd existed back then. He was a lock as a first ballot HOFer, whereas Getz, whom I think will certainly be inducted, isn't at that level yet.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Teemu was for sure the best offensive player in franchise history (or Kariya?)

But initial Puals idea was about the all around player for the franchise which Getzlaf is no doubt better than both of the two, imo.
Getzlaf has all the tools to go down as probably the most impactful player in the franchise history on the ice. All the playoff runs etc and unlike Teemu, he can be the player that is here every season - not that it was Teemus fault he wasnt there.
I`m quite happy we can have this 'heated' debate with all these players on the table :)

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
+
So far in 23 games he is over 55% in faceoffs. Currently his personal best is 50.6% in a season (2014-15)

terranraida

#RyanGetzlafIsASaint
Feb 27, 2014
Richmond, VA
God damn do I love Ryan Getzlaf. One of the things I don't think I'll ever forget was when he was off to that rough start a few seasons ago, and everyone was harping on Facebook about how he needs to have the C stripped from him (and given to Kesler...) and traded lmaooooooooooooooooooooooooo. Who's laughing now you dummies.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
I still have my issues with him. For some periods he seems to be very stationary, taking the puck and basically clogging the whole PP.
But he is useful much more times than he is not, no doubt.

snowave

Jan 7, 2012
Idaho
I honestly still think the C was a distraction for him for several years, but he seems to have grown into it over the last couple seasons, and appears to be a great leader now. I also think he is still an elite player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad