Player Discussion Ryan Donato

Status
Not open for further replies.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Well to be fair, Heinen hasn't been that great. And he put up those points earlier in the season. Now, sure that could change.

But from everything I've seen, I think Donato can help. Did ANYONE expect Charlie to help as he did? Nope.

I think Ryan can help. I take the chance. Let him play. He's got the skills. He's a leader. I'm not worried about next year. The Bruins have a legit shot at the Cup. I'll take all the help. And this is the time, while Bergy is hurt to flip some things around.

I’m sorry, but Donato is not in McAvoy’s class. That’s not an insult, very few players are.

If the B’s hadn’t acquired Nash at the deadline, I would say take a shot with Donato this year, but I don’t see him as an upgrade in the Top 9.

Marchand
Bergeron
Pasta
Krejci
Rick Nash
DeBrusk
Heinen
Backes
Riley Nash

Donato is not better than any of those 9 players IMO. He was good in a completely watered down Olympics with no NHL players and in college. Playoff hockey is a different animal.

I’m not as concerned about burning a year of his contract as I am about expansion in a couple of years and having to protect Donato so he could play in a couple of NHL games. Sign him to an ATO and play him in PRO (like they did with McAvoy). If he tears it up in the AHL and there are more injuries, they can always bring him up.

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
I think Donato can bring more than Heinen is bringing right now. And thus I'd play him over Danton. I truly believe the kid can make an impact. I'd do it without blinking. But that's just me.

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
Probably not, but it could create advantages if Backes looks good at center.
Backes at center, that shipped sailed awhile ago. He is only productive as a power winger, he has no legs for the 200 foot game. He is not even used a penalty killer, which surprises me to no end, what is up with that. Donato will be good in time let him learn the AHL game as a 1st step when it comes up. Czarnik should be the next call up, kid is playing great

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I think Donato can bring more than Heinen is bringing right now. And thus I'd play him over Danton. I truly believe the kid can make an impact. I'd do it without blinking. But that's just me.

We will have to disagree on this. Heinen had a full year in the AHL and a great playoff run in PRO to prepare for the NHL season.

I am curious what exactly are you basing your “Donato is an impact player” premise on? Heinen had 93 pts in 81 games playing against the same/better NCAA competition Donato has the last two seasons (83 pts in 65 games), and he was more than a year younger (Donato will be 22 in a few weeks).

Heinen wasn’t ready for the NHL last year and I am not sure why people think Donato will be. Because Pierre Maguire thinks he has an NHL game? Color me skeptical. The best thing for Donato (imo) would be to play down the stretch in PRO and get a long playoff run there to get him ready to compete for an NHL job in the Fall.

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
I think from what I've watched him, which includes his years at Havard and the Olympics. I think he's got that "it" factor. I think he can step right in and make an impact. Sweeney wasn't shy about JFK getting in there. He wasn't physically ready. But Donato has it. If Sweeney and co think he can offer something, I say try it. Do it. We're lacking a bit right now with injuries. I'd see what the kid can do. And from what ive watched? I think he makes an impact immediately.

Again. Agree to disagree. Won't hurt his development if he goes right to Prov or if he comes straight here. It's a win/win

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
For me, there's a simple reason to not burn a year on his ELC and just stick with an ATO in Providence. Not only do you get an extra year on the cheap ELC, you don't have to protect him for the expansion draft in 2020, since he'll only have 2 years of professional service time.

Donato's agent may push for them to burn an ELC year to sign him now, but if I'm Sweeney I'm pushing back on that as hard as possible.

Reactions: Jdavidev

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I think from what I've watched him, which includes his years at Havard and the Olympics. I think he's got that "it" factor. I think he can step right in and make an impact. Sweeney wasn't shy about JFK getting in there. He wasn't physically ready. But Donato has it. If Sweeney and co think he can offer something, I say try it. Do it. We're lacking a bit right now with injuries. I'd see what the kid can do. And from what ive watched? I think he makes an impact immediately.

Again. Agree to disagree. Won't hurt his development if he goes right to Prov or if he comes straight here. It's a win/win

It’s not really a “win/win” as you put it. His ELC is only two years because of his age (not three years like JFK), so if they burn a year now, it becomes a one year deal. In addition, as others have pointed out, burning a year means having to protect him in the next expansion draft.

I just don’t think the benefit you would receive is worth it.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
It’s not really a “win/win” as you put it. His ELC is only two years because of his age (not three years like JFK), so if they burn a year now, it becomes a one year deal. In addition, as others have pointed out, burning a year means having to protect him in the next expansion draft.

I just don’t think the benefit you would receive is worth it.

On the other side of that - it means if he's someone management believes in - you could extend him to a bridge deal as early as this summer or sign him long term next summer with only 1.2 seasons under his belt.

Seguin and Hamilton. They make the same money - the difference is when they signed.
Hamilton wasn't ready at 18 but if they burnt that year by giving him 10 games before sending him back to juniors and were dealing with his second contract at 21 as compared to 22 I highly doubt he's going to be looking for $5.75M.
Seguin was ready but if he had spent another year in juniors and you were trying to sign him at 22 I highly doubt you get him to sign at $5.75M.
Does anyone think they're worth the same?

If you don't need the extra ELC year - burn it. If they don't work out then it's not going to cost you extra. I they do work out then you'll get them at a lower cap hit through much of their primes.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
Counter-intuitive. But I actually think burning ELC years (if you're not in Cap trouble) is a smarter way to go about it long term.

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
Going into the playoffs, you are going to bump a 40 pt NHL regular and the B’s 5th leading scorer for a kid (while promising) that hasn’t played a single professional game?

Sounds like a good idea when you put it that way...
No, I don’t see a spot for him. Unless an injury occurs.

Thrive

Scoish Velociraptor Maloish
Jan 10, 2009
Massachusetts
Counter-intuitive. But I actually think burning ELC years (if you're not in Cap trouble) is a smarter way to go about it long term.
The issue is that Bruins have many of their ELCs (McAvoy, Carlo, Heinen, Kuraly, Grzelcyk), team friendly contracts (Riley and Rick Nash, Schaller, Acciari, Chara, McQuaid, Holden, Khudobin) and other expiring contracts (many of the kids down in Providence) within the next 2 years.

Bringing Donato to a raise a year too early could be the difference between being able to add a Rick Nash type player at the deadline or even forcing Sweeney’s hand in having to trade a Johnny Boychuk a week before the season begins.

Add that to Donato becoming eligible for the Seattle expansion draft and I’m just not sure the benefits of signing Donato now - and in doing so burning a year off his 2 year ELC - outweighs his on-ice contributions with the current roster in mind and at this point in his career.

Last edited:
Reactions: DKH and Chief Nine

Mount Kramer Cameras

Jul 15, 2014
I dunno know why it has to Donato vs Heinen. I want both out there.

Riley Nash is having a good year but I wouldn't think twice about putting him on the fourth line if Donato can provide genuine electricity in the top 9. That's serious depth. The big word here is 'if' though.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
sorry, late to the party and was in Barbados, did Harvard get bounced Friday night enabling Donato to sign if he wants now?

Reactions: JCRO

crimsonace

Mar 7, 2010
Indianapolis, IN
It's official. He has signed. 2-year ELC, assuming Year 1 gets burned this year (the official release said he's eligible to play tomorrow night and he's joining the NHL team today), which means he'd be up for his second contract after the 2018-19 season.

He can play in the AHL playoffs if he doesn't play an NHL game for the Bruins. Once he suits up in the NHL, he's ineligible for the AHL playoffs since he wasn't on an AHL roster at that league's trade deadline.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad