RW Zachary Senyshyn - Sault Ste Marie Greyhounds, OHL (2015, 15th, BOS)

canwincup

Aug 28, 2008
Van city
I'd take him over barzal, boeser, konecny and beauvillier. I don't know why people harp on Senyshyn of all picks the Bruins made in the first. He's outperformed both zboril and debrusk this season. Those should be second guessed before Senyshyn

Well just because he's the best of three Bruins picks doesn't mean that he was a good pick in the top 15. At this point I think it would be insane to take Senyshyn over Barzal, Boeser, and Konecny. Unless you think those three players will end up being busts.

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
I'd take him over barzal, boeser, konecny and beauvillier. I don't know why people harp on Senyshyn of all picks the Bruins made in the first. He's outperformed both zboril and debrusk this season. Those should be second guessed before Senyshyn

To further the point, Senyshyn scored 45 goals where the next highest on the team scored 26. In total, he scored 18.75% of the Greyhound's goals this year.

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
Well just because he's the best of three Bruins picks doesn't mean that he was a good pick in the top 15. At this point I think it would be insane to take Senyshyn over Barzal, Boeser, and Konecny. Unless you think those three players will end up being busts.

I kind of do think boeser will be a bust. Just a hunch from the outside. Only watched him at WJC and the frozen four and didn't come away too impressed. Barzal and konecny might be better but not for the Bruins. They needed size and speed on the wing. And guys who can score. Barzal is a playmaking center and konecny is a touch undersized. I've said it from the beginning. Senyshyn might be Danny paille, but he might be max pacioretty. I'll take the boom bust and hope he booms. He did improve drastically from year 1 to year 2 in the ohl, despite his underwhelming overall offensive output (PPG). I think it's conceiveable that he scores between 50-60 next year with 90-100 points. That would indicate another big jump in production but not as seismic as his year 1-2 jump. I think the hate tapers off if he ends up with 55-35-90 next season.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Post your pre-draft list.

Here's my top 15 from Feb:
1. McDavid
2. Eichel
3. Hanifin
4. Marner
5. Strome
6. Provorov
7. Konecny
8. Merkley
9. Meier
10. Barzal
11. Kylington
12. Rantanen
13. Werenski
14. Roy
15. Crouse

By the time of the draft, I had moved Barzal up a bit higher, dropped on Konecny and Merkley.

Here's a post in July about their positions relative to Zacha:
I had Zacha at 12 among forwards.

I had Barzal, Connor, Rantanen, Merkley, Meier, Beauvillier all higher at F, as well as Provorov. While we are loaded at D, Provorov is also a stud and would've made our D core much more dangerous offensively.

Again, just my opinion, and I hope I'm wrong.
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?p=105045583#post105045583 Post 464

I had Boeser and White in the 20's grouping, can't find the posts where I mention that.

Senyshen was always a early-mid 2nd rounder for me.

I'd love to see all the pre-draft lists of Bruins fans who had Senyshen ahead of all those guys. . . .

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
Here's my top 15 from Feb:
1. McDavid
2. Eichel
3. Hanifin
4. Marner
5. Strome
6. Provorov
7. Konecny
8. Merkley
9. Meier
10. Barzal
11. Kylington
12. Rantanen
13. Werenski
14. Roy
15. Crouse

By the time of the draft, I had moved Barzal up a bit higher, dropped on Konecny and Merkley.

Here's a post in July about their positions relative to Zacha:

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?p=105045583#post105045583 Post 464

I had Boeser and White in the 20's grouping, can't find the posts where I mention that.

Senyshen was always a early-mid 2nd rounder for me.

I'd love to see all the pre-draft lists of Bruins fans who had Senyshen ahead of all those guys. . . .

I wanted Connor or white and was stunned when they said senyshyns name. Gotta root for who you're draft though. Just don't get why Senyshyn is still getting dumped on after scoring 45. I think in a redraft your early-mid 2nd selection of Senyshyn is now in the 20s correct? So isn't it feasible next year with more progression his redraft position is in the teens?

canwincup

Aug 28, 2008
Van city
I wanted Connor or white and was stunned when they said senyshyns name. Gotta root for who you're draft though. Just don't get why Senyshyn is still getting dumped on after scoring 45. I think in a redraft your early-mid 2nd selection of Senyshyn is now in the 20s correct? So isn't it feasible next year with more progression his redraft position is in the teens?

The thing is a lot of players in the 2015 draft had amazing years, I would probably take Senyshyn late in the first round because of his upside. I had him early/mid second pre draft so he has moved up in my eyes.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005

I'd still see him at around 35 honestly. Like was mentioned earlier, a lot of guys had really good draft+1 years.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I'd still see him at around 35 honestly. Like was mentioned earlier, a lot of guys had really good draft+1 years.
I'd say he probably belongs in the 20's. Guys like Aho and potentially Kaprizov have moved past him, but I'd say he's passed guys like Merkley, Debrusk, Roslovic, and Zboril, and has put himself on par with guys like Guryanov, Svechnikov, Juulsen, Beauvillier, Sprong etc. Not sure how he compares to the 3 Swedes (Carlsson, Erickson-Ek, and Larsson). But this draft has had great +1 years, very few have disappointed (Guryanov, Zboril and Merkley are arguably the only guys that have) .

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012

I'd say of the first round forwards he's had better +1 years than guryanov, debrusk, roslovic, eriksson ek, merkley, and Crouse. I'd maybe take sprong, hintz, and bracco ahead of him in the 2nd round. I don't know though, it's splitting hairs at that point. For an experiment, there were 21 forwards taken in round 1. 24 up through pick 35, you can name 21 forwards in a redraft you'd still take over Senyshyn? I can not. My list ahead of him in no particular order is
Mcdavid
Eichel
Strome
Marner
Zacha
Meier
Rantanen
Connor
White
Svechnikov
Gabrielle
Sprong
SENYSHYN

the 13th forward taken according to me. If you wanna throw konecny Barzal boeser and beavillier ahead as well that puts him 17th. But that's personal preference in my mind. The 13th forward was taken 16th last year and the 17th 21st. Again I don't see how he's still outside the top 21 for you.
Enlighten me

NewJackEdwards

Jun 8, 2010
CT
I'd say of the first round forwards he's had better +1 years than guryanov, debrusk, roslovic, eriksson ek, merkley, and Crouse. I'd maybe take sprong, hintz, and bracco ahead of him in the 2nd round. I don't know though, it's splitting hairs at that point. For an experiment, there were 21 forwards taken in round 1. 24 up through pick 35, you can name 21 forwards in a redraft you'd still take over Senyshyn? I can not. My list ahead of him in no particular order is
Mcdavid
Eichel
Strome
Marner
Zacha
Meier
Rantanen
Connor
White
Svechnikov
Gabrielle
Sprong
SENYSHYN

the 13th forward taken according to me. If you wanna throw konecny Barzal boeser and beavillier ahead as well that puts him 17th. But that's personal preference in my mind. The 13th forward was taken 16th last year and the 17th 21st. Again I don't see how he's still outside the top 21 for you.
Enlighten me

I'd argue Crouse had a better +1 year.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Mcdavid
Eichel
Strome
Marner
Zacha
Meier
Rantanen
Connor
White
Svechnikov
Gabrielle
Sprong
SENYSHYN

Enlighten me
Putting Gabrielle ahead of Barzal, Aho and Konecny is insanity. Crouse is also deserving of being higher, he had decent point totals and brings a lot to the table. Christian Fischer could also challenge him.

Last edited:

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
Putting Gabrielle ahead of Barzal, Aho and Konecny is insanity. Crouse is also deserving of being higher, he had decent point totals and brings a lot to the table.

Regardless. Throw in aho and Crouse subtract gabrielle and Senyshyn was still the 19th forward taken, good enough for 1st round status

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Mcdavid
Eichel
Strome
Marner
Zacha
Meier
Rantanen
Connor
White
Svechnikov
Gabrielle
Sprong
SENYSHYN

Enlighten me

Mcdavid
Eichel
Strome
Marner
Zacha
Meier
Rantanen
Connor
White
Aho
Beauvillier
Barzal
Roslovic
Boeser
Simon
Speers
Crouse
Dergachyev
Timashov
Fischer
Forsbacka Karlsson
Svechnikov
Gabrielle

That's just off the top of my head.

I like Senyshen over Sprong though.

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
Mcdavid
Eichel
Strome
Marner
Zacha
Meier
Rantanen
Connor
White
Aho
Beauvillier
Barzal
Roslovic
Boeser
Simon
Speers
Crouse
Dergachyev
Timashov
Fischer
Forsbacka Karlsson
Svechnikov
Gabrielle

Bolded are just crazy. You really think a smallish offensive-minded center (Speers) had a more promising season then a 6'2, 5/5 skating winger who scored nearly twice as many goals (45 to 26) on the same team? And Dergachyov did nothing all season in the KHL or WJC. Kind of a regress year if you ask me.

Also worth note is that if you put Senyshyn at the end of your list, the Bruins have 3 of the top 25 forwards in D+1 year, which is pretty good.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Bolded are just crazy. You really think a smallish offensive-minded center (Speers) had a more promising season then a 6'2, 5/5 skating winger who scored nearly twice as many goals (45 to 26) on the same team?

Speers is 5'11, hardly small. He's got much higher IQ than Senyshen, which is usually the thing that separates top 6 players from the rest of the pack. He's also outscored Senyshen in consecutive seasons, and is a good skater in his own right.

Not really sure why "offensive center" is a knock against Speers . . .

And Dergachyov did nothing all season in the KHL or WJC. Kind of a regress year if you ask me.

How many times did you watch him play this year?

Also worth note is that if you put Senyshyn at the end of your list, the Bruins have 3 of the top 25 forwards in D+1 year, which is pretty good.

How is that worth note? It has nothing to do with Senyshen.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Would that probe your point that you think it was a bad pick ?

So far Senyshyn has shown he has been a great pick.

So going into the draft, you had him ranked in the top 15?

Question: how many top 6 players, who were former 1st round picks, scored below a PPG in the CHL in their draft+1 years?

I'm guessing it's a very small number. IF he turns into a top 6 player, he'll be the exception, not the rule.

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
Speers is 5'11, hardly small. He's got much higher IQ than Senyshen, which is usually the thing that separates top 6 players from the rest of the pack. He's also outscored Senyshen in consecutive seasons, and is a good skater in his own right.

Not really sure why "offensive center" is a knock against Speers . . .

How many times did you watch him play this year?

How is that worth note? It has nothing to do with Senyshen.

You point out that Speers outscored Senyshyn. Speers actually scored at a lower rate than last year, while Senyshyn improved his numbers greatly and is on an extraordinary upward trend. Also, at 5'11, I would put size at a slight negative, although there are plenty of great players at this size. For Senyshyn, size is a plus. Personally, I think 30/30 GM's would value Senyshyn higher, but you are entitled to your opinion, and I think you are right that hockey IQ is the most important trait in a player.

NewJackEdwards

Jun 8, 2010
CT

Question: how many top 6 players, who were former 1st round picks, scored below a PPG in the CHL in their draft+1 years?

I'm guessing it's a very small number. IF he turns into a top 6 player, he'll be the exception, not the rule.

I agree with the bolded.

He wasn't a first rounder but James Neal put up 58 points in 66 games in his draft + 1 year. Not saying Senyshyn will become Neal by any means...just found it interesting.

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
Mcdavid
Eichel
Strome
Marner
Zacha
Meier
Rantanen
Connor
White
Aho
Beauvillier
Barzal
Roslovic
Boeser
Simon
Speers
Crouse
Dergachyev
Timashov
Fischer
Forsbacka Karlsson
Svechnikov
Gabrielle

What did Simon, and roslovic do to warrant being taken ahead of Senyshyn? You've already touched on dergachyev who looking at the numbers can't be taken ahead of Senyshyn. I never saw him play but what's he done to cement himself ahead of Senyshyn? Roslovic had a decent year but far from a great one, same goes for simon. Yes he had a good year in the AHL but he's 21. How often do double overagers go in the first round?

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
What did Simon, and roslovic do to warrant being taken ahead of Senyshyn? You've already touched on dergachyev who looking at the numbers can't be taken ahead of Senyshyn. I never saw him play but what's he done to cement himself ahead of Senyshyn? Roslovic had a decent year but far from a great one, same goes for simon. Yes he had a good year in the AHL but he's 21. How often do double overagers go in the first round?

Simon - love his combo of hands and release. Quick and deceptive. Think he could turn into a poor man's Kucherov

Roslovic - high IQ, great release, powerful skater

Dergachyov - Great puck protection, soft hands, excellent defensive awareness, good o-zone creativity.

jdatb

Apr 29, 2014
FWIW, I think Senyshyn will be the best out of the Bruins 3 consecutive picks. Probably a 20 goal scorer at the least.

SanDogBrewin

Righteous bucks!
Jan 14, 2010
On a tasty wave
twitter.com

No not in any top 15. But to your 2nd question, Senyshyn only two draft+1 had a better GPG in the OHL. Is there some concern that Senyshyn doesn't have more assists ? Yes

As far as the last statement, the pre-draft lists are not always dead on and I don't think a GM needs to follow the rankings. Now about 95% of the arm-chair GMs would disagree with not sticking by the lists and your team GM is taking big risk. I just happen to think if your scouts really like the player, take the prospect.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad