RW Patrik Laine - Tappara, Liiga (2016 Draft) III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
I can't still not see the shades of Eero Elo with Laine. Both with great shots but bad skating. And it's not even the bad skating but the fact that Laine plays "big ice game". He doesn't move his feet fast enough and doesn't have the explosiveness. Only way he generates speed is big circles using the whole rink what can't be done in NHL. Hope i'm wrong though but there are a lot of question marks here.

The biggest guestion mark is your ability to evaluate hockey prospects.

Laine plays small ice game. Through and through. His skating is bit of a question, but not a major weakness. But his style is very well suited for small ice. I honestly don't know if you are being serious anymore. If not, you really should stop polluting threads. If you are, you really should take "hockey 101" and improve your knowledge.

Hokinaittii

Aug 15, 2015
I can't still not see the shades of Eero Elo with Laine. Both with great shots but bad skating. And it's not even the bad skating but the fact that Laine plays "big ice game". He doesn't move his feet fast enough and doesn't have the explosiveness. Only way he generates speed is big circles using the whole rink what can't be done in NHL. Hope i'm wrong though but there are a lot of question marks here.
How about Marko Anttila? Both have big body and are from Tampere?

If Barkov was able to work his skating into respectable level explosive wise in 2 years, I'm sure Laine can also.

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
:D
Laine definitly plays smallringgame in offensivezone. Laine is made for playing in small ice.

Last time you said Laine had huge problems in last game vs Kärpät and he should watch videos of Aho and Pulju playing.
I wonder how many times Pulju and Aho have watched that shiftbyshift video from Laines last game. :P

I don't know hombre. I can already see Bufyglien running Laine to the moon while Laine's trying to get his "motor" going. :popcorn:

TheFinnishTrap

Apr 10, 2012

Shades of Eero Elo. Well that's something. On the other hand, I can't help seeing shades of Jagr. Where should we settle?

First, Laine's skating is not even a problem at Liiga-level, and he can easily still improve. Just look at Barkov. And guys like Thornton have been able to carve out okay careers, too.

Second, how is he playing a big ice game? What does that even mean to you? To me, his ability to battle near the boards and in small spaces is ability to play in a small rink. Surely improving his skating in general would help him, but it is not a hindrance anymore.

Patrik Laine will certainly be at least as good as Ovechkin. He's also much better playmaker.
Here's a quote from the "Will we ever see another Ovechkin"- thread. For some reason I doubt you are sincerely hoping to be wrong about Laine and his skating here.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
Yeah he was again best player in 2 first periods. Didnt get much playing time in 3rd because Tapparas was in pk allmost the whole period.

Can't really praise any forward very much, if they don't get on the scoreboard and their team loses clearly. But Laine was definitely quite sharp and dangerous during the 2 first periods. Quite a minus was that he couldn't score from a couple of great chances. But he also pretty much created his chances almost by himself. That is by itself pretty impressive.

Last edited:

Marre

Mar 10, 2004
Good game from Laine again. He is surprisingly good backchecker and willing to play defense for having a rep of not playing defense.

Janne Niinimaa proved he doesn't read hfboards and fell to cardinal sin while commenting the game. Little does he know, how much he will be ridiculed for his comment about Laine and Mario L. Or maybe he is having withdrawal symptoms of being ridiculed at hfboards and saw his chance and made a rush for it.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
Looks so easy

That hair is hair of star, too. :D

As seen in this, This kind of physical, skill, and defensive game performance and dominance @ 17 in Liiga playoff stage, probably never seen before. Hardly even seperately those, but all in one.

Last edited:

Bourdon

Mar 20, 2007
The biggest guestion mark is your ability to evaluate hockey prospects.

Laine plays small ice game. Through and through. His skating is bit of a question, but not a major weakness. But his style is very well suited for small ice. I honestly don't know if you are being serious anymore. If not, you really should stop polluting threads. If you are, you really should take "hockey 101" and improve your knowledge.

Just because someone disagrees with you doesn't automatically make his statements invalid or false. The way he voiced his opinions were not in any way inflammatory to have you react that way. This is a public forum for all player related discussions, not a "OMG, look at how great Laine is" forum.

Now, to me, skating is not inherently a necessary attribute to be a top player, but certainly it aids.

To me, for a goal scorer, it's important to be a quick and explosive skater. It's because as a goal scorer, you are always darting in and out of the dead areas of the ice looking for the prime area to score. It's important because it allows you to pounce on loose pucks and skate up ice on the counter. I can't think of a ton of goal scorers in the league that aren't great skaters; Benn, Pavelski...

It's different for playmakers who rely on a different skillset. Playmakers tend to slow down the game, draw attention away from their intended targets, use their bodies to shield the puck, etc. That's why it's much less important for playmakers to be great skaters.

Laine is a relatively good skater for his size, but I wouldn't say that he's a good or great skater in general. It doesn't mean that he won't have success at the NHL level, but it might mean that the way he produces will follow a different mold than some of the other established goal scorers like Ovechkin do. Certainly he can improve his skating, but people often profoundly overestimate how much better a player's skating can improve.

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto
Yeah, he is bit of a puck hog. I'm not sure if it's because he's trying too hard to impress scouts (he's been really vocal about his goals and one of the biggest is securing a hig draft pick) or if he's a bit selfish with the puck. Maybe a combination of both?

With his skill level I wouldn't care if he had the puck on his stick 90% of the time during his shifts.

fr9dd9

Nov 18, 2010
Sweden
With his skill level I wouldn't care if he had the puck on his stick 90% of the time during his shifts.

I agree, I watched the game today and I have to say he is fkn amazing. I think he will be a bigger star then Matthews. To me Laine is still getting used to hes boddy, hes hight and weight. When he has it all under full control like I think Matthews already have? I know Laine will be the better of those two.

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
Good game from Laine again. He is surprisingly good backchecker and willing to play defense for having a rep of not playing defense.

Janne Niinimaa proved he doesn't read hfboards and fell to cardinal sin while commenting the game. Little does he know, how much he will be ridiculed for his comment about Laine and Mario L. Or maybe he is having withdrawal symptoms of being ridiculed at hfboards and saw his chance and made a rush for it.

But I mean hey what would he know? we're proven experts!!!!

Hero

Uncle Leo
Jul 2, 2009
heropuck.wordpress.com
I know Laine shoots right but does he prefer LW or RW?

Laine - xxxx - Marner
xxxx - Nylander - xxxx

Still need that #1C, but the rest of the top six's most important roles are taken care of.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario

Laine - xxxx - Marner
xxxx - Nylander - xxxx

Still need that #1C, but the rest of the top six's most important roles are taken care of.

He was playing the LW spot at the WJC. And was manning that Ovie/Stamkos one time spot on the PP as well there. Marner threading passes to Laine would be a thing of glory.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

Laine - xxxx - Marner
xxxx - Nylander - xxxx

Prefers Lw.

sidewhinder91

Mar 31, 2016
Obviously he has the tools and size to make an impact in the NHL right now. But, that being said if he doesn't make the NHL, what would he be doing? Going back to play in Finland? I believe the Sting (OHL) have his rights in Jr. as well.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Obviously he has the tools and size to make an impact in the NHL right now. But, that being said if he doesn't make the NHL, what would he be doing? Going back to play in Finland? I believe the Sting (OHL) have his rights in Jr. as well.

OHL would do absolutely nothing for him.

AHL would be then, I'd make the guess that the team will want to keep an close eye to him and let him get used to differenk rink/style right away.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Are Laine and puljujarvi ready to be playing in the NHL full time next year?

I think Laine could play in the NHL next season.

I think Puljujarvi still needs at least another season, maybe two or three. I don't think he's good enough to play in an NHL top 9. I don't even know about the AHL. I think it'd be rushing him to have him playing in the NHL, and for a player who still is a pretty raw player, I think he should be developing somewhere where he can get as many minutes as possible. He should stay with Karpat.

MPStoEberletoHall*

He was playing the LW spot at the WJC. And was manning that Ovie/Stamkos one time spot on the PP as well there. Marner threading passes to Laine would be a thing of glory.

Meh..

McDavid's passing>Marner's passing

;)

kooma 13

Mar 15, 2014

Played RW in juniors and is often reported as RW but havent played single game this season as a RW. So he is LW.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad