RW/LW Vasili Podkolzin - SKA St.Petersburg, KHL (2019, 10th, VAN) Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
2nd thread, 44 pages in this one, for a player who hasn't even signed yet an ELC with the team that drafted him.
And the hype that's been super has entered the mega level.

Probably gonna get shit again with my opinions, but still..i have not seen yet, that, what many thinks he is gonna become to.
Has he improved? Yeah, probably but...reading these comments....its like he is supposed to be a star player in the NHL.

For me, he isn't even SKA's best young player, not to mention what comes to the KHL.
From SKA's 5 young forwards, Marchenko is the best, Morozov is the 2nd best and Podkolzin comes in 3rd.

BTW. the age difference between Marchenko and Podkolzin, only 11 months
- also, shout out to SKA's 2001 born, 2019 4th round pick Yegor Spiridonov,
amazing 2-way center; big, fast, strong, really good center, probably no role for him this season thou,
not without injuries.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
I'm not going to comment on who is the better prospect. I don't really care. All I know is I'm happy with Podkolzin. Is he a better prospect than Newhook? Again, I don't care. I just think we've got a lot of young scoring talent on our team already and could use the element Podkolzin brings. Gives our group a good mix.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
2nd thread, 44 pages in this one, for a player who hasn't even signed yet an ELC with the team that drafted him.
And the hype that's been super has entered the mega level.

Probably gonna get shit again with my opinions, but still..i have not seen yet, that, what many thinks he is gonna become to.
Has he improved? Yeah, probably but...reading these comments....its like he is supposed to be a star player in the NHL.

For me, he isn't even SKA's best young player, not to mention what comes to the KHL.
From SKA's 5 young forwards, Marchenko is the best, Morozov is the 2nd best and Podkolzin comes in 3rd.

BTW. the age difference between Marchenko and Podkolzin, only 11 months
- also, shout out to SKA's 2001 born, 2019 4th round pick Yegor Spiridonov,
amazing 2-way center; big, fast, strong, really good center, probably no role for him this season thou,
not without injuries.

Only 11 months? Those are lightyears in developmental years.

Marchenko played 1 KHL game in his 19 yr old season.
Podz played 30 KHL games in his 19 yr old season.

you tell me who the club thinks has a higher potential and is a better young player.

Reactions: tilly123123

Ita

Mar 11, 2019
For anyone who has been following him, can you give an objective take on how he is tracking? Would he rise or fall in a redraft? Is he progressing well or are there are signs of busting? (I know it's still early)

lawrence

May 19, 2012
For anyone who has been following him, can you give an objective take on how he is tracking? Would he rise or fall in a redraft? Is he progressing well or are there are signs of busting? (I know it's still early)

NewHook didn't even make team Canada last year. also who the hell cares, it's not like we missed out on him, he was taken 5 picks later,people just want to do another Juolevi Tkachuk bull shit on us again. If anything the last team that passed up on him are the guilty ones, not us.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
He improved in every way last season, but there isn't much of a sample yet this season. He tracks poorly among stat watchers but scouts love his fundamentals. He is aggressive and plays hard; watch for his production this year to improve as he plays alongside better players consistently.

BluesyShoes

Unregistered User
Dec 11, 2010
I would say there is less of a chance of him busting now than at the draft. He has a style of play that many people like, and that can be useful to add to a team. He has relentless compete, is strong, and drives the net. He has decent skill and vision, plays a fast game, short passes, and is good in traffic around the net. Not the prettiest skater but has quick feet and can get d-men on the backpedal on the rush. I'd say its a pretty good bet he'll make the NHL if he comes over because of his strength, speed, and good in-tight game, and if all he becomes is a third liner, he won't go away in the playoffs. Could end up a very valuable player at his cap hit, given he may not put up great numbers in the regular season. Not a true possession player, more a complementary player, could play both PK and PP potentially. Don't know a how his English is doing, so coachability and communication on the bench might be an issue.

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
NewHook didn't even make team Canada last year. also who the hell cares, it's not like we missed out on him, he was taken 5 picks later,people just want to do another Juolevi Tkachuk bull shit on us again. If anything the last team that passed up on him are the guilty ones, not us.

Agreed and people keep saying Newhook will be a #1 center in the league... good for him... we have 21 year old Elias Pettersson as our #1.. Podzolkin fits our need more as he is a winger.

Rufus T Firefly

Jul 8, 2020
I would say there is less of a chance of him busting now than at the draft. He has a style of play that many people like, and that can be useful to add to a team. He has relentless compete, is strong, and drives the net. He has decent skill and vision, plays a fast game, short passes, and is good in traffic around the net. Not the prettiest skater but has quick feet and can get d-men on the backpedal on the rush. I'd say its a pretty good bet he'll make the NHL if he comes over because of his strength, speed, and good in-tight game, and if all he becomes is a third liner, he won't go away in the playoffs. Could end up a very valuable player at his cap hit, given he may not put up great numbers in the regular season. Not a true possession player, more a complementary player, could play both PK and PP potentially. Don't know a how his English is doing, so coachability and communication on the bench might be an issue.

Thank you for your update. I wish this forum had more level-headed, analytical posts like this.

Any specific areas where he needs to improve to take the next step? Or said another way, what would you like to see improved in his game this season to make him a better player?

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
What? Laughed hard at the bolded parts, especially the latter one.

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
Are people actually more impressed that Newhook did well in a league full of 20yr olds where 80% of its players never play professional hockey more than Podkolzin being the youngest player in the 2nd toughest league in the workd ( KHL) and not looking out of place. sheesh.

No chance Newhook has jumped Podz over in a re-draft.

Reactions: Raistlin1022

BluesyShoes

Unregistered User
Dec 11, 2010
What? Laughed hard at the bolded parts, especially the latter one.

Okay, what is your take? Poor skill and vision?

Thank you for your update. I wish this forum had more level-headed, analytical posts like this.

Any specific areas where he needs to improve to take the next step? Or said another way, what would you like to see improved in his game this season to make him a better player?

At the tail end of last year, he was looking like he could break out as a point per game player in the KHL, and was continued in his playoffs with 1 goal and 2 assists in 4 games, while playing in important situations and bringing his game. If he bring that kind of production over a season, it would be a great sign. In his WJC performance, in some ways he looked like a men amongst boys, playing a faster and more direct game that his teammates couldn't keep up with. Lots of missed in tight dishes on open nets. Most of his fans were saying they've "never seen a player so unlucky, he easily could have had a four point night" and his critics were saying that you can't pin his lack of production on his teammates. I'd like for him to this year learn how to really impose his game at the pro level and flirt with a point per game. I would say that I am pretty happy with his skillset, but I would like him to show his IQ and awareness of the game around him more emphatically, to the point that naysayers can't deny his IQ, which I think he can this season. He is very young for the level he is at. If he can do that, I would think he could slot into a scoring role when he comes over, and produce.

I would also like to see him speaking English instead of using a translator. :laugh: (Maybe he has done this already? I don't watch interviews much) For real though, it would show his intention to come over and stay, and it would make his transition much easier.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
Are people actually more impressed that Newhook did well in a league full of 20yr olds where 80% of its players never play professional hockey more than Podkolzin being the youngest player in the 2nd toughest league in the workd ( KHL) and not looking out of place. sheesh.

No chance Newhook has jumped Podz over in a re-draft.
I would def draft newhook over many prospects that were drafted after him including pod. Hes got a special talent.

BB06

Jun 1, 2020

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006

I think this is a very reserved take on Podkolzin. If you insert him into a Canucks lineup with a glaring need for a guy like him in the top 6, while the rest of the lineup is pretty solid already, there is no doubt he will thrive. Add the fact that he was already mentioned by the GM that he can play in the league right now, the leadership qualities he is showing in SKA, I doubt he will bust at all. His clunky skating is the only skill that is slightly below average, otherwise he already plays a very mature game in the second best league in the world on a stacked team. cannot wait to see him with his peers internationally.

Reactions: BluesyShoes

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
Not sure if this article has been posted yet but its an interview with SKA ST Petersrburgs skills coach Daniel Bochner. Bochner is very well known and has trained players such as Artemi Panarin. The interview mentions Podkolzin among other prospects like Shestyorkin, Marchenko, Askarov, Morozov, Galenyuk.

Summary about Podkolzin:

- going to be a special player for years to come
- what makes Podz unique is how he plays when he doesnt have the puck, backchecking, forechecking, tracking.
- true leader, mix with skills and grit
- Not a typical Russian player, he has a lot of "Canadian" style in his game
-Elite forechecker, very good defensively
-ability to track down guys and make contact is unbelievable
-Very very tenacious, ultra competitive and hates to lose more than anybody
-Not afraid to put the team on his back
- SKA is working on his skating and his core

LOOK INSIDE: SKA DEVELOPMENT CAMP — The Caviar Diplomat

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Not sure if this article has been posted yet but its an interview with SKA ST Petersrburgs skills coach Daniel Bochner. Bochner is very well known and has trained players such as Artemi Panarin. The interview mentions Podkolzin among other prospects like Shestyorkin, Marchenko, Askarov, Morozov, Galenyuk.

Summary about Podkolzin:

- going to be a special player for years to come
- what makes Podz unique is how he plays when he doesnt have the puck, backchecking, forechecking, tracking.
- true leader, mix with skills and grit
- Not a typical Russian player, he has a lot of "Canadian" style in his game
-Elite forechecker, very good defensively
-ability to track down guys and make contact is unbelievable
-Very very tenacious, ultra competitive and hates to lose more than anybody
-Not afraid to put the team on his back
- SKA is working on his skating and his core

LOOK INSIDE: SKA DEVELOPMENT CAMP — The Caviar Diplomat
Except for the very annoying part about being a canadian style player(whatever that might be. It's just some absurd NA hockey racism rooted deep in Cold War times. A remark beaten to death when describing Ovechkin by so many NA writers) it's not wrong, but just the coach talk that is often misunderstood as the coach would often concentrate on aspects that are either subject to improvement still or stand out as maybe not expected for this type of player and not go into areas where the player is just fine and comfortable.

Podkolzin like Ovechkin are very russian types of players and all those who make those stupid remarks should be ashamed.

Btw SKA hiring guys like Bochner is my beef with them. But that's what you get with Rotenberg Jr. at the helm I guess.

Reactions: Peen

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Okay, what is your take? Poor skill and vision?
People keep reating after eachother that mantra. His skill AND his vision both can't be described as just decent unless you just don't watch him.

Expecting him to be a low pay high reward player at some point is ridiculous. Every prospect can bust. If he succeeds by any measure he will command some serious money. He is not your Maroon type of player.

To call him a complementary player is as absurd as it gets as he is actually the guy who drives lines and he will continue to do that.

And to call him a not a posession player is just beyond all sorts of reality. That is all Podkolzin is about. Getting posession, keeping posession, distributing pucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad