RW/LW Vasili Podkolzin - SKA St.Petersburg, KHL (2019, 10th, VAN) Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Will he be a solid NHLer or not, that's the question, it's hard to answer on right now, but how could it happen, that he was picked #10 and Dorofeyev was picked in the 3rd...

canuckinfuts

May 27, 2019
Vancouver
He is very dynamic and plays unlike any of our young forwards or players in general. He hounds pucks like a madman and creates havoc on almost every one of his shifts due to his tenacity and hockey IQ. The puck seems to follow him around and his feet are always moving. I don't know if he'll ever be an elite offensive threat (80-90 point seasons), but he should be able to play and produce with high end players and rack up points with his relentless puck pursuit and net drives. EXACTLY what our prospect pool needed, love this pick.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
He is very dynamic and plays unlike any of our young forwards or players in general. He hounds pucks like a madman and creates havoc on almost every one of his shifts due to his tenacity and hockey IQ. The puck seems to follow him around and his feet are always moving. I don't know if he'll ever be an elite offensive threat (80-90 point seasons), but he should be able to play and produce with high end players and rack up points with his relentless puck pursuit and net drives. EXACTLY what our prospect pool needed, love this pick.
Well said.

FromRussiaWithLove

Jul 9, 2019
Saint Petersburg

in case you missed the action
they are full game shift by shift packages (~97%)
for highlight shiny stuff are in the description

Thank you for posting these. I’m not sure how anybody could watch this and say he has poor IQ and only does end to end rushes. If point production matched his play he would’ve had a point or two each game. His line mates were somewhat ineffective and had no finish on all the opportunities he created for them. I think the best way to describe him is a raging bull.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
The way he hounds the puck in all zones reminds me of a guy like AO back in his rookie days.
Obviously different style of players, but it did stand out.

He actually brings me back to Ovechkins first playoffs

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Will he be a solid NHLer or not, that's the question, it's hard to answer on right now, but how could it happen, that he was picked #10 and Dorofeyev was picked in the 3rd...

That's not really the question. The question is will he be more Landeskog or Colin Wilson in the NHL; i.e. will he be a highend scoring liner or just a solid middle-6 guy that does all of the little things that get a fella opportunities that are above his station.

And he went higher than Dorofeyev because his game/skillset projects much better to the NHL, once fully developed, than do Doro's. That's why it doesn't matter what each one did in the MHL last season, or even how far along either one is now. In the end Dorofeyev's skillset & game just don't project to the NHL nearly as well as they do to the KHL, while the inverse is true of Podkolzin's game & tools...and then there's the disparity in where they are in their growth curves & the untapped potential that they still realistically have access to.

But you can continue to ignore the difference who is the better youth player atm & who will be the better NHLer in their primes if you'd prefer...it's exactly what you did with Denisenko in his draft year; when you refused to listen to those of us that loved him despite his similarly middling MHL totals :dunno:

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

FWIW if Landy -- whom Pod was so often compared to -- had Pod's shot, he'd have two 40 goal seasons already. So I can certainly see top tier goal tallies, even if he never threatens 90 points.

Reactions: John Johnson

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
That's not really the question. The question is will he be more Landeskog or Colin Wilson in the NHL; i.e. will he be a highend scoring liner or just a solid middle-6 guy that does all of the little things that get a fella opportunities that are above his station.

And he went higher than Dorofeyev because his game/skillset projects much better to the NHL, once fully developed, than do Doro's. That's why it doesn't matter what each one did in the MHL last season, or even how far along either one is now. In the end Dorofeyev's skillset & game just don't project to the NHL nearly as well as they do to the KHL, while the inverse is true of Podkolzin's game & tools...and then there's the disparity in where they are in their growth curves & the untapped potential that they still realistically have access to.

But you can continue to ignore the difference who is the better youth player atm & who will be the better NHLer in their primes if you'd prefer...it's exactly what you did with Denisenko in his draft year; when you refused to listen to those of us that loved him despite his similarly middling MHL totals :dunno:

Oh yes, I've seen these arguments so many times... Because of them Yakupov was picked 1st OA and Panarin wasn't picked at all, and look, how it's ended up...

Reactions: landy92mack29

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
I see this is turning into a silly debate again.

Absolutely nobody here knows how either will turn out and which player is better suited for the NHL.

And a Panarin vs Yakupov example is incredibly dumb as well.

Yeah, it's as dumb as the logic, that one player is more suitable for the NHL, than the other, because he's bigger, heavier, tougher, hits harder, drives the puck more directly to the goals etc...

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
I like this pick for Vancouver alot as a partial Canucks fan, gives Vancouver a franchise winger to play alongside Petterssen and even though it'll be a few years down the road from now when he makes his debut it also means it will be longer before they have to re-sign Podkolzin. So Loui Eriksson will be off the books by then and they can make a big splash in UFA signings for Podkolzin's sophmore season.
Kinda funny how Edmonton helped out two teams in the pacific by picking Broberg thus causing their rivals to draft better players.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
I like this pick for Vancouver alot as a partial Canucks fan, gives Vancouver a franchise winger to play alongside Petterssen and even though it'll be a few years down the road from now when he makes his debut it also means it will be longer before they have to re-sign Podkolzin. So Loui Eriksson will be off the books by then and they can make a big splash in UFA signings for Podkolzin's sophmore season.
Kinda funny how Edmonton helped out two teams in the pacific by picking Broberg thus causing their rivals to draft better players.
I had Zegras at 3/4 in the draft so you can imagine how excited i was getting before Anahiem crushed my dreams :cry:

That said i like reading this back in forth discussion on Podz, much better then the Canucks subforum where everyone has an agenda to support or be against Benning. I guess there is here too, but less obvious and can get a better POV about Podz

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008

As an Oil fan who wanted Zegras, I’d suggest we wait until the dust settles to make a claim the the Oilers “helped” the Nucks and Ducks by taking Broberg. Considering your a fan of a team who reached for Lindholm in 2012 and had it work fantastically, I would hope you’d appreciate that Broberg has the potential to follow a similar development trajectory. Both players (Broberg and Lindholm) received a lot of praise after the interview portion of the combine based on an extremely high level of maturity.

I think all 3 teams are quite happy with who they chose and it will be fun to look back 5 years from now to examine who the BPA was in those consecutive picks.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
As an Oil fan who wanted Zegras, I’d suggest we wait until the dust settles to make a claim the the Oilers “helped” the Nucks and Ducks by taking Broberg. Considering your a fan of a team who reached for Lindholm in 2012 and had it work fantastically, I would hope you’d appreciate that Broberg has the potential to follow a similar development trajectory. Both players (Broberg and Lindholm) received a lot of praise after the interview portion of the combine based on an extremely high level of maturity.

I think all 3 teams are quite happy with who they chose and it will be fun to look back 5 years from now to examine who the BPA was in those consecutive picks.
Yeah i guess & to be fair they at least didn't trade up like Arizona did for Soderstrom, I think Bro is a tier above Soderstrom.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Oh yes, I've seen these arguments so many times... Because of them Yakupov was picked 1st OA and Panarin wasn't picked at all, and look, how it's ended up...

That would hold more water if I wasn't also extremely high on Panarin because of how well, I was certain that his game would do in the NHL :dunno:

But I've heard all of these same arguments from "patriots" like yourself, many times as well...like when I was called an idiot for suggesting that Denisenko should be a top 10 NHL pick despite his middling MHL production, and look how that's ended up...;-)

Projection is so much more about personalities as well as projecting skillsets & the way that players utilize those talents on the ice, to the league you are drafting for; than it is about who was the better junior player as a teenager.
Yeah, it's as dumb as the logic, that one player is more suitable for the NHL, than the other, because he's bigger, heavier, tougher, hits harder, drives the puck more directly to the goals etc...

The difference lies in the necessary quickness (of thought, hand & foot), because of the much more limited space; not in size & toughness. So you can save that particular strawman for someone else.

Last edited:

FromRussiaWithLove

Jul 9, 2019
Saint Petersburg
He made the club's starting roster as the 13th forward and played one 41 second shift today. There will definitely be some growing pains as he tries to gain the coach's trust but he has all the talent to stick in the KHL all season if they need him to.

Would he be better off in the VHL where he can play big minutes? I think it could be good idea since his playing time is very limited right now.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Would he be better off in the VHL where he can play big minutes? I think it could be good idea since his playing time is very limited right now.
They will probably send him around all year long. VHL season only starts on Friday so SKA did some interesting things, most notably dressing Kochetkov and Melnichuk as goalies, that's supposed to be their VHL tandem.

HockeyRobinson

Jun 6, 2015
Victoria, BC
They will probably send him around all year long. VHL season only starts on Friday so SKA did some interesting things, most notably dressing Kochetkov and Melnichuk as goalies, that's supposed to be their VHL tandem.

Watch out for Askarov. He's been tearing it up for SKA-1946 during the preseason.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Watch out for Askarov. He's been tearing it up for SKA-1946 during the preseason.
Every SKA goalie is tearing it up at their level, the last 4 years or so, at least. Nothing new here. I think Askarov's chances to play anywhere else but MHL is next to none unless there are injuries. At this point, he is quite firmly the 6th goalie in the system.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
I shouldn't make my opinion after 1 KHL game and after 5 or 6 shifts, but this i would say about him today.
(he played tonight, on/off in the SKA 4th line with Tikhonov, against Traktor)

Physically he is not a pro hockey player at the moment,
his skating is not at that level yet where it should be, if he was a pro hockey player already,
really can't say much about his hockey sense at the moment, sure,... there is an apparent talent/skill level
there, (not sure exactly how much thou, 5, 6 shifts isn't enough to tell) a potential to be a skilled pro hockey
player with some size. And that's probably that what, what some scouts (Canucks included) see/saw in him.

At the moment, i think Podkolzin is a junior level player, not a pro level player, i think he is several years
away from being one, not to mention from the NHL.

Reactions: Zaddy
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad