RW/LW Vasili Podkolzin - SKA St.Petersburg, KHL (2019, 10th, VAN) Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
Getting excited about this guy. And like others have said, he's exactly what the top six needs. May 1 next year is the earliest he can come over, could potentially join the team for several games and their next playoff run (if they are in the mix).

Reactions: Luckylarry

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
The exact type of top 6 winger the Canucks are going to need, and with the upcoming cap crunch potentially leaving Toffoli in the dust, having Pod on his ELC could come in clutch in 21-22 or 22-23.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
Having him and Hoglander in the lineup is when the Canucks will be fully built for a long playoff run. These type of high motor players is what keeps the puck in the offensive zone and suffocates the the opposition on the forecheck.

Reactions: Szechwan

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Getting excited about this guy. And like others have said, he's exactly what the top six needs. May 1 next year is the earliest he can come over, could potentially join the team for several games and their next playoff run (if they are in the mix).

lets hope there is even a season next year. Many doubts right now, tons of new cases in B.C.

SelltheTeamFrancesco

Aug 11, 2015
I'm a big Harley and Soderstrom fan, and i think you can argue that they appear to be significantly better than any D prospect VAN has. Also hard to argue against the year that Newhook had, but he was a question mark going into the draft due to the level of competition he played against.

Pod by no means was a bad choice, but I wouldn't say better than those three. Adding Newhook's speed to VAN would be crazy.
None of the player you mentioned affect the game as much as Pod does. Two-way game and puck possession are elite something that the Canucks need more of and every person that talk about this guy raves about his attitude and compete level. He is not in the same tier as Harley, Newhook, or Soderstorm.

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
None of the player you mentioned affect the game as much as Pod does. Two-way game and puck possession are elite something that the Canucks need more of and every person that talk about this guy raves about his attitude and compete level. He is not in the same tier as Harley, Newhook, or Soderstorm.
in hindsight I will pick him over Zegras. Knowing his work ethic, this guy has an amazing floor.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
Pod is a great prospect but damn those two newhook and sodersrom are both seen by almost all as the better prospects

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

BB06

Jun 1, 2020
Really?? A list of prospect rankings that were done before the start of the season?? Only one or two are updated for the seasons that Pod, Newhook (esp his performance) and Soderstrom just completed.

He was rated a top 10 Prospect by THN in Feb/March. He was also higher on Craig Buttons January list. So no they're not universally seen as better prospect all around the same tier. Most list have Pod higher than both

January

March
1. Bowen Byram
2. Trevor Zegras
3. Igor Shesterkin
4. Karill Kaprizov
5. Spencer Knight
6. Moritz Seider
7. Dylan Cozens
8. Gregori Denisenko
9. Vasily Podkolzin
10. Alexander Romanov
13.Alex Newhook

Last edited:
Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
He was rated a top 10 Prospect by THN in Feb/March. He was also higher on Craig Buttons January list. So no they're not universally seen as better prospect all around the same tier. Most list have Pod higher than both

January

March
Thpse fail to consider Newhook's amazing college season as he blew up after the publication of these rankings. Lets wait and see for the updated ones...

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
I don’t think there is a single Gm in the NHL who would take Podkolzin over Newhook right now. Newhook just dominated Hockey East as a true freshman. He’s on another level from Podkolzin - there is nobody outside of Vancouver who thinks otherwise.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I don’t think there is a single Gm in the NHL who would take Podkolzin over Newhook right now. Newhook just dominated Hockey East as a true freshman. He’s on another level from Podkolzin - there is nobody outside of Vancouver who thinks otherwise.
Which is considered the better league, hockey east or the KHL?
Imo, it’s too difficult to compare prospects who are playing in such different leagues.

BB06

Jun 1, 2020
  • I[/I] don’t think there is a single Gm in the NHL who would take Podkolzin over Newhook right now. Newhook just dominated Hockey East as a true freshman. He’s on another level from Podkolzin - there is nobody outside of Vancouver who thinks otherwise.

The prospect lists I posted say otherwise ....

I mean THN is the opinion of 7-8 scouts and the consensus had Podkolzin higher.

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C

One plays in NCAA, one plays in KHL... I think it's hard to compare.

Jordan Shroeder scored 45 points in NCAA hockey :)

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
One plays in NCAA, one plays in KHL... I think it's hard to compare.

Jordan Shroeder scored 45 points in NCAA hockey :)

yeah and Podkolzin had 8 points in 30 games. He probably would have been better off in NCAA.

Create a poll if you like. Newhook > Podkolzin. He also plays a more important position.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
They came out in Feb/March. You should do some research .....

That’s in the middle of the season. Newhook dominated from February on. You are clueless. Nobody is saying Podkolzin isn’t a good prospect, just that Newhook is better as of RIGHT NOW. The guys that dominate NCAA as freshman tend to be better than the guys who are under 0.33 PPG in the KHL at same age.

BB06

Jun 1, 2020
That’s in the middle of the season. Newhook dominated from February on. You are clueless. Nobody is saying Podkolzin isn’t a good prospect, just that Newhook is better as of RIGHT NOW. The guys that dominate NCAA as freshman tend to be better than the guys who are under 0.33 PPG in the KHL at same age.

Yeah the guys playing in a far inferior league with ice time and PP time far outproduced the guy in the KHL. You have zero knowledge on Podkolzin and his development or deployment at all or you wouldn't be throwing numbers around. Last half of the season he was playing at a top 6 level in the KHL. Newhook is getting the points for breaking out in the second part of the season so why isn't Podkolzin? You clearly haven't watched a single one of his this games this season so you probably wouldn't know is what I'm assuming.

First 17 games 0 points and average ice time around 3 minutes a game

Last 17 games including playoffs 11 points and average ice time around 12-13 minutes

Reactions: BCNate

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Yeah the guys playing in a far inferior league with ice time and PP time far outproduced the guy in the KHL. You have zero knowledge on Podkolzin and his development or deployment at all or you wouldn't be throwing numbers around. Last half of the season he was playing at a top 6 level in the KHL. Newhook is getting the points for breaking out in the second part of the season so why isn't Podkolzin? You clearly haven't watched a single one of his this games this season so you probably wouldn't know is what I'm assuming.

First 17 games 0 points and average ice time around 3 minutes a game

Last 17 games including playoffs 11 points and average ice time around 12-13 minutes

You have blinders on. I think Podkolzin is a great prospect as does everyone else. The point is that Newhook is just a tier ahead currently. What he did as a freshman in NCAA is more impressive than Podkolzin. Podkolzin certainly can pass him back up this year but I think the consensus right now in the hockey world is that Newhook is a better prospect.

Look, I hate the Avs and I hate BC so it pains me to say this but the kid is a stud and looks poised to be a future 1C. I don’t think Pod carries the same value. And I think most people without bias would agree.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad