RW/LW Dmitry Sokolov - Dinamo Minsk, KHL (2016, 196th, MIN; released)

P10p

May 15, 2012
Healthy scratch for 3 straight, along with a couple other promising g young wild guys (dewar and lodnia)

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Healthy scratch for 3 straight, along with a couple other promising g young wild guys (dewar and lodnia)

He's a legit bust , just shows again how bad the CHL is for Russian forward development.

P10p

May 15, 2012
He's a legit bust , just shows again how bad the CHL is for Russian forward development.

Hold your horses, I mean I get the sentiment but the guy is only 21 years old and put up 30 pts 16 goals as an AHL rookie playing mostly 4th line minutes. Russo mentioned somewhere that Sokolov clearly had a great summer and looks way leaner and in better shape. Iowa's lineup is deep and as I said, Sokolov isn't the only healthy scratch that has Wild fans a little peeved off. Dewar and Lodnia are also scratches. But the team is 3-0 to start the season. Army is leaning on some vets and playing some role guys in Liambas and McLain. Maybe the young guys just have to keep pushing and they will break through. I wish more then anything we would trade JT Brown to at least open a roster spot.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
WTH are they playing AHL vets over young guys like Lodnia, Sokolov, and Dewar? It's pretty obvious who the future lies with.

Guerin has to take a look at all the Fenton appointees, and weed them out if necessary. winning in the AHL is all very fine, but not if you are doing it with a bunch of 28 yo's who have no future in the NHL, while keeping prospects sitting on the bench who just might.

Balls Mahoney

2015-2016 HF Premier League World Champion
Aug 14, 2008
Legend
Still holding out hope for this kid. While some aspects of his game were limited, he has freakish goal scoring and offensive ability. Hope he can put it together because he has the potential to be lethal in a NHL top-9.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Hope he scores a bunch down there, then moves back up to the AHL, then scores a ton there, then moves up to MN...ah, well, I can dream.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
He's a frustrating prospect; terrific goal scorer, everything else meh. He could be something if he could put together more than just shooting the puck.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
He's a frustrating prospect; terrific goal scorer, everything else meh. He could be something if he could put together more than just shooting the puck.
4 goals in 10 games on the fourth line, so the goalscoring is still there. But he also forced the turnover that led to Bauman's winner in OT, and it's things like that that'll earn him more games/minutes.

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami
He's a fascinating guy. He scores like a NHL goal scorer, has one of the best shots in the world (I'm serious)- I'd wager that there are not more than 15 guys that have better shots in the NHL, it's that good, and yet...with this knowledge (he knows the cannon he has, he knows he can score against every NHL goalie given the chance), he has issues or confidence issues or energy issues with the rest of the game, knowing it's the only thing holding him back.

He also may just have that low of an 'IQ' that he just won't put it together, not because he protests playing a responsible-ish game, but because he simply isn't bright enough with all the moving parts of the pro game. That's not to call him a stupid person, either, I don't know the guy. Pro is pro...he's playing pro hockey, but he isn't excelling.

puckMAN

Dec 28, 2004
North St Paul
He's a fascinating guy. He scores like a NHL goal scorer, has one of the best shots in the world (I'm serious)- I'd wager that there are not more than 15 guys that have better shots in the NHL, it's that good, and yet...with this knowledge (he knows the cannon he has, he knows he can score against every NHL goalie given the chance), he has issues or confidence issues or energy issues with the rest of the game, knowing it's the only thing holding him back.

He also may just have that low of an 'IQ' that he just won't put it together, not because he protests playing a responsible-ish game, but because he simply isn't bright enough with all the moving parts of the pro game. That's not to call him a stupid person, either, I don't know the guy. Pro is pro...he's playing pro hockey, but he isn't excelling.
It seems he could be the 2nd coming of Teemu Pulkkinen unfortunately.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Pulkkinen was smaller, weaker, and slower(Sokolov actually has decent speed, but slow feet, if that makes sense). Sokolov's lack of success in the AHL, where TP did very well, is concerning, and puzzling.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad