RW/LW Dmitry Sokolov - Dinamo Minsk, KHL (2016, 196th, MIN; released)

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Pretty surprised that he hasn't signed in the KHL given the uncertainty with the AHL and the fact that he was disrespected by being loaned to the ECHL. Would think it would make sense to go back to Russia.
The question is are there any suitors at this point?

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
The question is are there any suitors at this point?

I'm sure any team could use him as some teams this summer have signed young players straight out of CHL or taken players from Russia juniors. Sokolov has pro experience and has been more than just an average ECHLer like Popugayev and Korostelev , he has scored at a pretty decent rate in the AHL so he should be able to find a job.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
30 pages for this guy? Shows how valuable goal scoring is. I can’t see Sokolov ever sticking in the NHL.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
30 pages for this guy? Shows how valuable goal scoring is. I can’t see Sokolov ever sticking in the NHL.

You may not know it now but he was once a very elite prospect, considered the top of the 98 Russian prospect class.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
You may not know it now but he was once a very elite prospect, considered the top of the 98 Russian prospect class.

We are aware. He's always been missing some major tools. It's why he's on the fast track to being a nobody now. He never figured it out or addressed the issues.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Pretty surprised that he hasn't signed in the KHL given the uncertainty with the AHL and the fact that he was disrespected by being loaned to the ECHL. Would think it would make sense to go back to Russia.

Based solely on his numbers, appears to be a fairly one-dimensional 22-year-old. Imagine he could find a spot with a lower tier KHL or second division team in Russia. Is that a move towards one day skating in the NHL?

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Based solely on his numbers, appears to be a fairly one-dimensional 22-year-old. Imagine he could find a spot with a lower tier KHL or second division team in Russia. Is that a move towards one day skating in the NHL?

Certainly better than skating in the AHL league which won't be running in October is all I'm saying .

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Certainly better than skating in the AHL league which won't be running in October is all I'm saying .

Makes sense. But with all of the AHL (and even ECHL) players available - let alone the guys in Europe displaced by other players who would be NHL/AHL calibre seeking jobs at this point - is he the type of player that a KHL team would seek to sign?

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Makes sense. But with all of the AHL (and even ECHL) players available - let alone the guys in Europe displaced by other players who would be NHL/AHL calibre seeking jobs at this point - is he the type of player that a KHL team would seek to sign?

I don't see why not, theres been alot less talented Russians and pros from other leagues signed, numerous kids who played in the MHL but have little no pro experiance getting a look in camp and preseason. A team like Dynamo Minsk for example have been signing kids straight out of the CHL who have been alot less productive than Sokolov was in juniors.

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
Wherever he goes he needs to be in the top 6 and in the top pp unit

Back to ECHL? Maybe Seattle farm team? Germany?

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Wherever he goes he needs to be in the top 6 and in the top pp unit

Back to ECHL? Maybe Seattle farm team? Germany?

Definately not an ECHL level player , he should be playing on one of the top Europeans men's leagues, though if you're Sokolov during this covid ,why wouldn't you go back home to familiar territory and a strong league with good pay

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
He can score somewhat at the AHL level ( though nowhere close to a Mayhew or Anas), but is literally good at nothing else. The thing with Sokolov has always been his commitment to fitness, and possibly his ability to " get it".

Wish him the best, but I don't see how the KHL will welcome him if he is a bottom six player in the AHL, especially with all the other AHL'ers likely to be at loose ends.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
He can score somewhat at the AHL level ( though nowhere close to a Mayhew or Anas), but is literally good at nothing else. The thing with Sokolov has always been his commitment to fitness, and possibly his ability to " get it".

Wish him the best, but I don't see how the KHL will welcome him if he is a bottom six player in the AHL, especially with all the other AHL'ers likely to be at loose ends.

Like I've been saying ,worse players like Korostelev who couldn't keep an AHL roster spot and is a KHL regular and junior players have been signed...Sokolov can for sure make at least a weak KHL roster. Sokolov is also Russian and wouldn't be considered an import like the other AHLers

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011

You're surprised a player under contract, that can't sign in the KHL hasn't signed in the KHL?

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
You're surprised a player under contract, that can't sign in the KHL hasn't signed in the KHL?

How many times to Russians under contract in North America head back home ? Too often . Contract is therefore not an issue

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
How many times to Russians under contract in North America head back home ? Too often . Contract is therefore not an issue

Since Radulov? Zero have left while under-contract, without the team's permission.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Did they not terminate their contacts and go back home to play?

Tryamkin and Prokhorkin were Restricted Free Agents. That means they weren't under contract and were free to sign anywhere outside the NHL.

Shipachov and Vegas mutually terminated his contract. His signing in the KHL was actually held up for a few weeks if I recall correctly, while they worked out the financials tot he termination, so again he wasn't under contract.

No player under-contract has signed in the KHL without their NHL teams permission since Radulov.

The Wild did let Khovanov sign in the KHL, but he's a top prospect they want playing and probably care much more about the player-team relationship, and not starting off on the wrong foot.

I'm sure they aren't happy about being strong armed in the Khovanov situation, and Sokolov isn't a top prospect. So they'd probably tell him to pound sand in order to not set a further bad precidence.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Tryamkin and Prokhorkin were Restricted Free Agents. That means they weren't under contract and were free to sign anywhere outside the NHL.

Shipachov and Vegas mutually terminated his contract. His signing in the KHL was actually held up for a few weeks if I recall correctly, while they worked out the financials tot he termination, so again he wasn't under contract.

No player under-contract has signed in the KHL without their NHL teams permission since Radulov.

The Wild did let Khovanov sign in the KHL, but he's a top prospect they want playing and probably care much more about the player-team relationship, and not starting off on the wrong foot.

I'm sure they aren't happy about being strong armed in the Khovanov situation, and Sokolov isn't a top prospect. So they'd probably tell him to pound sand in order to not set a further bad precidence.

Still , I'm sure a loan situation can be worked out for Sokolov at least, there's been a ton happening for players recently

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Still , I'm sure a loan situation can be worked out for Sokolov at least, there's been a ton happening for players recently
There was incentive for the Wild load Khovanov. Not wanting to ruin the relationship/wanting their top C prospect to play with the AHL season delayed.

That incentive doesn't exist for Sokolov. He's not one of their top 10 prospects, he's not particularly young. They probably don't care too much if he leaves when he hits RFA.

He's an AHL body for them, and that's the only real value he provides. What's their incentive to loan him? I can't think of any.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Appears he has gained weight and is up to almost 230 lbs which is not good for his height. On a positive note he scored a goal tonight in Iowa's opener in the AHL.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Appears he has gained weight and is up to almost 230 lbs which is not good for his height. On a positive note he scored a goal tonight in Iowa's opener in the AHL.
Where did you hear this?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad