RW Kaapo Kakko - TPS, Liiga (2019 Draft) Part 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
I think Kaapo doesn't need any kind special nickname as his name itself is rather 'magical'.

IMO, Its more important people there in NA learn to pronounce it properly, to get into that magic.

Edit: To clarify why I consider the proper pronunciation important, is the fact that if you change last o to a in his surname and also pronounce it in way Finns do it, you call him "s-h-i-t" (intentional circumvention of auto-censorship for demonstrative purposes).

Kakka = 'shit' in Finnish

Finnish hockey fans won't be delighted if one of their biggest hockey promises ever is continuously called by commentators in way that resemble 'excrement' in our native Finnish ears. Selänne can be Salami or whatever, but Kakko cannot be Kakka, like ever.

Last edited:

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
Judging from twitter Kaapo is Bond villain while Hughes is Disney movie protagonist. I blame Hollywood movies that decided blonde white males with Scandinavian accent are automatically villains.

Lepardi

Jan 1, 2008
Finland
I blame Hollywood movies that decided blonde white males with Scandinavian accent are automatically villains.

Good theory but Kakko doesn't have a Scandinavian accent. He has a Finno-Ugric accent. Good luck trying to find a Swedish, Danish or Norwegian NHL player whose English isn't way better than Kaapo's and especially Puljujärvi's. When I travel to Denmark they can tell I'm Finnish right away just by listening to my accent.

Reactions: 1OApick

paragon

May 5, 2010
Good theory but Kakko doesn't have a Scandinavian accent. He has a Finno-Ugric accent. Good luck trying to find a Swedish, Danish or Norwegian NHL player whose English isn't way better than Kaapo's and especially Puljujärvi's. When I travel to Denmark they can tell I'm Finnish right away just by listening to my accent.
More likely by your looks. It's too easy to spot a Finn.

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
You give too much credit to Foreigners to be able to tell the difference.

regards, many years of American life.

BL92

Double Gold
May 22, 2016
Finland
Still don't get why people criticize his English so harshly. It's obvious that his shyness and inexperience takes its toll currently. You can tell that he's miles ahead of Pulju; you could barely get a single word out of him.

jalperi

Feb 17, 2016
The first thing that comes to mind for me when I hear the word "capo" is the guy holding the megaphone and leading the chants in a soccer match fan section.
Yes i know that. We have Capo also our official fan association (in Finland).

Lepardi

Jan 1, 2008
Finland
By the way, is there any way of watching the draft live if you live in the Nordics?

The same channel (Viasat) that shows every NHL game and plenty of other sports like the Premier League and the NFL for 30 euros a month has it on live in Finland. Viasat is also showing it live in Sweden. I don't know about Norway, Denmark and Iceland but there aren't many people in those countries who give a toss.

Walrus26

Wearing a Habs Toque in England.
May 24, 2018
Peterborough, UK
You give too much credit to Foreigners to be able to tell the difference.

regards, many years of American life.
Hey, keep your stereotypes to your side of the Pond :) Most Europeans and Scandinavians give away their homeland within seconds of opening their mouths, even if they are saying words in the same language.

And on topic, Kakko > Hughes ;-)

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
I've never thought Hubs as a high end powerforward.
And neither is Kakko. Kakko isn’t a power forward although he is very good at the boards. He is a finesse player first of all and works even at the boards so well because of his great agility and hands, not because of having some clear power forward kind of strengths.

Kakko’s game has very little to do with how clear power forwards play like. I don’t also see him really as big or physically strong enough (even for his age) to be considered a power forward. And especially with the finesse based game that he plays.

Last edited:

Zub

Nov 7, 2015
Helsinki
And neither is Kakko. Kakko isn’t a power forward although he is very good at the boards. He is a finesse player first of all and works even at the boards so well because of his great agility and hands, not because of having some clear power forward kind if strengths.

Kakko’s game has very little to do with how clear power forwards play like. I don’t also see him really as big or physically strong enough (even for his age) to be considered a power forward. And especially with the fineesse based game that he plays.

Lmao

Lepardi

Jan 1, 2008
Finland
Join us fellow brothers and sisters:

Church of Kakko

If any of you guys ever visit Finland, I suggest you might not want to wear this shirt here. The connotations are not too far from what Americans think when they see a MAGA hat:

Logo-Tee-02_mockup_Front_Couples_Navy-Triblend.jpg

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
WTF does it matter if someone has rally English kind of pronounciation, if they are able to speak the language with proper vocabulary and grammar (like loads of Finns are capable of doing). People who judge another person’s spoken language at all by their heavy accent, are after all shallow and narrow minded and not usually worth of even being much acquainted with.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
What a classy post! Not surprising though. Maybe at least try to have a conversation or even a debate if you very much disagree with anyone? Which would be definitely fine by all means. But what you just did was childish, arrogant and useless posting with absolutely zero value to the conversation about Kakko.

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
If any of you guys ever visit Finland, I suggest you might not want to wear this shirt here. The connotations are not too far from what Americans think when they see a MAGA hat:

Logo-Tee-02_mockup_Front_Couples_Navy-Triblend.jpg

Excellent notion!

Without knowing the context, a gang of hockey tourists walking on a street wearing these T-shirts would be likely associated first to Far Right wing / Nazi Skin Heads than to the Fan Cult of Hockey player.

Black/Blue colors and Coat of Arms lion together is very strong cultural and traditional code for something totally else here in Finland than what it now represent very funny way in New York.

Exactly for that reason I don't think markets in Finland will be very broad with C.O.K. merch of this type. Some Finns may get even offended for how the Coat of Arms is utilized in this context (maybe including some people in aforementioned far-right wing).

Church itself is nice thing IMO. Part of Clergy myself, btw. ;)

Ukkosenjumala

Nov 24, 2017
Finland

It's just about exposure. Guys like Juuso Välimäki and Juolevi have had great english and "NA" accents because they made the transition to NA junior leagues at a young age. I could fool people for being american when I was like 14 due to heavy online gaming and english content from the internet in general. Scandinavians are at a slight advantage against Finns when it comes to masking their accents due to their language groups being closer to english but you can definitely still hear it with guys like Petterson etc. However people love accents so it's better to have one for pure marketing purposes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $200.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland