RW Kaapo Kakko - TPS, Liiga (2019 Draft) Part 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Sorry, but this post of yours is absolute bull crap. I mean reading these kind of posts makes me feel that some guys here have skipped school and especially physics and biology completely. The lack of understanding of basic physics and physical facts is just unbelievable in a mind boggling way.

No physical phenomenon which has an end result of very quick acceleration, fast speed and velocity can happen without a huge major factor happening through the source of power and strength. So the key is always in the muscles when high velocity and speed are achieved. If you don’t have great strength and power, it is physically impossible to move anything with any mass in a very quick or fast way. Any kind of a technique can of course help in concentrating your strength and power a bit better and using them more efficiently. But when talking about professional athletes at the absolute top in any sport, they all are that good technically, that seriously they can only polish their abilities through their technique, compared to the other top athletes. The biggest factor comes from their physical gifted abilities and how well they manage to improve them with the right kind of training methods for their individual body and their individual development path.

Your comment about Laine’s shot being 90% achieved by technique is utter bull crap. Sure there is a part that comes through his very well working technique, but to seriously talk about it being even close to 90% is absolutely absurd and silly. The power and the velocity come most of all from how well his muscles can produce the quickness and the strength for using his stick and body to produce enough power to have a damn hard shot. That doesn't magically happen with having a great technique. The technique doesn't create the great amount of energy that is needed to make something with weight move extremely fast. The technique can only polish the efficiency for the usage of the already existing great amount of energy to be used more efficiently in creating the wanted fast movement on the wanted object.
I mean, Laine uses a pretty low flex stick, which doesn't signify massive power. And yes, there does exist such a physical phenomenon, it's the "bounce effect".

It was well documented that it was largely about technique for Laine so I'm not sure why you're going about revising history. And why you still write such long messages. How many people do you think bother reading them fully?

Last edited:

Zub

Nov 7, 2015
Helsinki
I mean, Laine uses a pretty low flex stick, which doesn't signify massive power. And yes, there does exist such a physical phenomenon, it's the "bounce effect".

It was well documented that it was largely about technique for Laine so I'm not sure why you're going about revising history. And why you still write such long messages. How many people do you think bother reading them fully?

I don't bother reading much of him at all.

Reactions: fr9dd9

Zub

Nov 7, 2015
Helsinki
He said he watched Patrick Kane alot. I told my friend a year ago or so that Kakkos stickhandling reminds me of Kane.

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
His English is better than Chytil’s when he entered the NHL. I’m sure there will be some things he doesn’t understand in the locker room his first season, but he’ll be able to get by and he’ll learn quickly. He has a good enough base of the language.

Also, unlike Chytil with Czech, he'll have Zibanejad who's fluent in Finnish in the locker room to help clarify any issues. Pretty sure Georgiev knows at least some Finnish too, considering he spent 3 years with TPS in the Finnish Liiga

CashMash

Jun 5, 2015
Finland
Shero compared Kakko to Jagr.... Jagr is one of my top favorites... tomorrow is going to be very interesting... I have no Idea on who I want the Devils to draft...

Style-wise? Yeah... I can definitely see what he means. That strength and how he doesn't *look* too fast, but can really surprise people with his reach when he gets going.

Section32

May 26, 2011
CT
View attachment 238389
Reminder that Newark and Manhattan are 23 km apart for our European friends. Devils players very much live the same NYC lifestyle that Rangers players do.

No. Manhattan is unique to the world.

Living in Hoboken is great. But it is not the same. It sounds close, but it usually ends up to be such a pain to get there. I grew up on Staten Island and know well what it was like to live so close but be so far. Even with Uber or limos...guys want to hang out close to home.

There is nothing like being a young millionaire living in Manhattan. The perks the guys get at restaurants, clubs and with the models...your are also usually not recognized or ignored if you aren't.

NYC is not for everyone. Guys like Thunder Bay's Marc Staal are clearly made for Westchester. For young, single guys to live within walking distance of MSG is ridiculous.

Reactions: hi

BringBackTheRats

Mar 13, 2012
Albany, NY
There is nothing like being a young millionaire living in Manhattan.

I'm from NY, I get it. I agree that Manhattan is unique to the world, but many young Devils live or have lived in Manhattan and had no problem getting to work. I know Henrique had an apartment there when he was with the team.

And you're absolutely right, it's a young man's town. Most of the older guys or guys from the country for both teams live out in the suburbs. To think that that the young Devils players aren't living it up in NYC is naive and ridiculous though.

Sure, the commute isn't as easy as walking down 8th Ave., but I wouldn't mind the hour in traffic in my decked out sports car.

BringBackTheRats

Mar 13, 2012
Albany, NY
Its about Manhattan, MSG, the Rangers.

Maybe for players from the area that grew up as Rangers fans or in a situation like Trouba's where his wife is pursuing a career there, but there's no way Hughes gives a shit about the lore of MSG and playing for an original 6 team. He'll be invited to plenty of parties in Manhattan. Kakko might care right now, but it's probably because he doesn't know any better at the moment.

Reactions: Jersey Fresh

Kotkaniemi15

Sep 18, 2018
Montreal
His English is a non-issue. The only instance where I’ve seen poor English be detrimental to a player’s development is Puljujarvi. Kakko will get by fine. Kotkaniemi’s English was the same if not worse and it was a non-issue.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Sorry, but this post of yours is absolute bull crap. I mean reading these kind of posts makes me feel that some guys here have skipped school and especially physics and biology completely. The lack of understanding of basic physics and physical facts is just unbelievable in a mind boggling way.

No physical phenomenon which has an end result of very quick acceleration, fast speed and velocity can happen without a huge major factor happening through the source of power and strength. So the key is always in the muscles when high velocity and speed are achieved. If you don’t have great strength and power, it is physically impossible to move anything with any mass in a very quick or fast way. Any kind of a technique can of course help in concentrating your strength and power a bit better and using them more efficiently. But when talking about professional athletes at the absolute top in any sport, they all are that good technically, that seriously they can only polish their abilities through their technique, compared to the other top athletes. The biggest factor comes from their physical gifted abilities and how well they manage to improve them with the right kind of training methods for their individual body and their individual development path.

Your comment about Laine’s shot being 90% achieved by technique is utter bull crap. Sure there is a part that comes through his very well working technique, but to seriously talk about it being even close to 90% is absolutely absurd and silly. The power and the velocity come most of all from how well his muscles can produce the quickness and the strength for using his stick and body to produce enough power to have a damn hard shot. That doesn't magically happen with having a great technique. The technique doesn't create the great amount of energy that is needed to make something with weight move extremely fast. The technique can only polish the efficiency for the usage of the already existing great amount of energy to be used more efficiently in creating the wanted fast movement on the wanted object.

So many words

So much dumb

48g90a138pts

Jun 30, 2016
With the possibility of Taylor Hall not staying in NJ, what is the possibility of Kakko going 1st considering the Devils grabbed Hischier last season?

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo

And here another genius whom doesn't seem to understand basic physics. You talk about bounce effect like there somehow magically comes the energy and force out of nothing in that effect. But that is not exactly how it happens. Even in a bounce effect there is a clear physical source of power. There it happens to be gravity and weight of the object that cause the energy and the power for causing speed and velocity. I mean it’s exactly people like you here whom usually make me write longer post. Because you need to be explained even the simplest and most obvious issues of physics and general training. Get some basic knowledge and then there’s no need to go through details that really shouldn’t be gone through here in the first place.

And no, it was never documented that Laine’s shot is 90% about his technique. To make that kind of claim is absolutely childish and shows extreme lack of understanding of physics. Sure he has great technique and it helps him get past some other shooters as a shooter, when their created power and strength would otherwise be on about the same level. But it is still most of all definitely about having enough of strength and power in the first place.

Last edited:

agent082

Feb 11, 2012
As for Laine, there's plenty of time and the summer has only started. He'll do what is best for him and I'm sure he knows what exactly that is better than anyone here. Going similar route to Barkov just sounds logical to me at this point of the development. I'm not worried if he's shooting some golf and relaxing as well. Life can't be all but sports/work after all. We'll just have to see what happens, those things hardly stay in the private anyway. Then again, this stuff is pretty irrelevant to the topic so I'll just leave it to that.

It's 2 months from his last game. That sounds awful long 'ylimenokausi'. But maybe Nhl players' summertraining is preplanned well before and they start training as if they were champions.

It appears Kakko will be training strenght this summer. Maybe no skating at all just like Laine?

Last edited:

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011

Living in Hoboken is great. But it is not the same. It sounds close, but it usually ends up to be such a pain to get there. I grew up on Staten Island and know well what it was like to live so close but be so far. Even with Uber or limos...guys want to hang out close to home.

There is nothing like being a young millionaire living in Manhattan. The perks the guys get at restaurants, clubs and with the models...your are also usually not recognized or ignored if you aren't.

NYC is not for everyone. Guys like Thunder Bay's Marc Staal are clearly made for Westchester. For young, single guys to live within walking distance of MSG is ridiculous.
I don't want to get into this Manhattan vs New Jersey argument because we agree with that, however I wonder how many Rangers players actually live in Manhattan? Isn't their practice facility like a 40 minute drive north of MSG? Not that bad, but you spend much more time there than at MSG.

Lateralous

Jun 17, 2003
Abington, PA
Visit site
With the possibility of Taylor Hall not staying in NJ, what is the possibility of Kakko going 1st considering the Devils grabbed Hischier last season?

Not much IMO. The Devils still have a hole at 2C as well. Regardless of Hall, who I think will eventually sign once Ray makes some moves, I think it's hard to pass up a Hughes/Hischier tandem at C for the foreseeable future.

Reactions: 48g90a138pts

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
It's 2 months from his last game. That sounds awful long 'ylimenokausi'. But maybe Nhl players' summertraining is preplanned well before and they start training as if they were champions.

It appears Kakko will be training strenght this summer. Maybe no skating at all just like Laine?

There was a reason why I said I'd leave it to that. Well lets make one last exception. Now I would assume that every player who's got ~100 game season behind him would need a long rest afterwards before even thinking about going back to the gym. Lets not forget the NHL playoffs just ended like almost yesterday, nor should we forget that he was injured and had back problems which is hardly his fault. If anything I respect the fact Laine fought through them all year long despite of getting sh** from left to right in the social media. This precious forum of ours wasn't that kind and forgiving either. Don't know if he has begun his training schedule already or not, nor do I know what that has to do with him playing golf. I mean I suppose players need some off days/free time as well between workouts. I certainly do whenever I hit the gym and it's pretty well known fact that going to gym seven days a week doesn't really benefit you, because the body needs rest between the training (the muscles don't really grow in the gym after all).

Anyway, back to the topic. So here we are, less than 12 hours into the draft. Who's planning to stay up and watch this damned thing? o/ (probably drunk as f*)

Cannot wait to see Kakko wrapped into NYR jersey for the very first time!

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
I mean there's SOME athleticism that go into his shot, I think Laine has always had decent upper body strength you can see it when he can just lay into someone without worrying about leverages. However 90 % of that shot is technique, just like a good boxers right hand is, the movement paths and leverages have been honed through years upon years of practice not to mention the sticks he uses emphazise the slingshot effect. I think you misunderstand me as hating Laine, he has been one of the guys I've followed most closely in recent years and I really hope he comes out next year and proves alot of people wrong.

Technique, sheer size etc is definitely a huge factor. Him being tall and upper-body heavy allows him into lean into his shots a lot which creates power.

I think Laine's biggest flaw is he never skated in the off-season (hopefully he'll do that now) so by autumn he's already a bit rusty on his skates and not developing the way guys like Rantanen have. I don't know if the rumours about his lack of work ethic are true but that could also be a factor + it's definitely difficult to move quickly on top of skates if you're 6'5 and still growing into your body.

The S5

Jul 27, 2017

I don't know if any of the Rangers live in Hoboken, but you can get to MSG from Hoboken quicker than many parts of Manhattan. Just get on the Path. One train, no transfer and it drops you off a block away.
Staten Island is a completely different animal.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
And here another genius whom doesn't seem to understand basic physics. You talk about bounce effect like there somehow magically comes the energy and force out of nothing in that effect. But that is not exactly how it happens. Even in a bounce effect there is a clear physical source of power. There it happens to be gravity and weight of the object that cause the energy and the power for causing speed and velocity. I mean it’s exactly people like you here whom usually make me write longer post. Because you need to be explained even the simplest and most obvious issues of physics and general training. Get some basic knowledge and then there’s no need to go through details that really shouldn’t be gone through here in the first place.
Insulting my knowledge of "basic physics", huh? I admit I haven't studied physics at uni or anything, but I did Laudatur it in high school. Obviously Laine uses some power, but the brunt of the velocity isn't just pure power, when most of the work's being done by the bent stick as it straightens again. If you don't see how Laine uses a very different technique from the stiff, super high flex stick guys for shooting, that's very curious.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad