RW Joshua Ho-Sang - Windsor Spitfires, OHL (2014, 28th overall, NY Islanders)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Granlund2Pulkkinen*

Ya..Saw that...Dont agree in the slightest in my 50 or so viewings, but its HockeyProspect's prerogative.

Do you have him at #1?

And are you a father of a child playing in the AAA? Or are you just an avid fan?

JSBach

May 1, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
An article in the Toronto Star and a thread on HFBoards is hardly an issue for him. Come by the rinks and see the scouts that watch him and other AAA players in Ontario, thats much more 'pressure' as you say it is, but its helped make Ontario and the Ontario Hockey League one of the best producers of talent for the NHL. Worked fine for Seguin, Skinner, Hall, and all, and it will work well for Ho-Sang...

I agree, it currently isn't a significant problem for him, but I don't want to imagine how I'd feel if, for example, I were one of the top prospects of the year and everybody in the media were touting me as the next superstar and a team drafted me to turn their franchise around, and I ended up not meeting their expectations. Granted it would have been my fault, but I would have still felt terrible about it.

Last edited:

Tigers1992

Dec 13, 2009
I agree, it currently isn't a significant problem for him, but I don't want to imagine how I'd feel if, for example, I were one of the top prospects of the year and everybody in the media were touting me as the next superstar and a team drafted me to turn their franchise around, and I ended up not meeting their expectations. Granted it would have been my fault, but I would have still felt terrible about it.

I think youll find most of these players are fairly well grounded. Once they hit the ice, its all about hockey, regardless of what is or is not said in the media, they go play, and mostly play well.

If they do fair as a hockey player, they will feel it, regardless of the media.

Last edited:

Garyboy

Oct 31, 2010
Toronto

It comes with the territory of being an elite prospect. Some thrive on it, some don't. It's par for the course. These kids are working their hardest towards a career in hockey. They know pressure plays a huge role.

Karlssonlee

Jan 13, 2009
It comes with the territory of being an elite prospect. Some thrive on it, some don't. It's par for the course. These kids are working their hardest towards a career in hockey. They know pressure plays a huge role.

He attends PEAC highschool - an elite athlete highschool. Those kids learn how to train and be professional at a very young age. It's a good environment for kids to be fostered under because most kids there are working towards a goal.

NHL Fanatic

Oct 4, 2010
GTA
Personally I believe Josh should have applied to get exceptional status with Aaron Ekblad last year. 73 points in 30 games so far this year.

Pick Six

@Lafortune_FC
Jan 1, 2009
Mississauga
Personally I believe Josh should have applied to get exceptional status with Aaron Ekblad last year. 73 points in 30 games so far this year.

I don't think he was ready last year, too inconsistent. The funny thing is, if Ekblad went back to Minor Midget this year, there would have been a good chance he goes 3rd overall, after McDavid and Ho-Sang.

Tigers1992

Dec 13, 2009
Do you have him at #1?

And are you a father of a child playing in the AAA? Or are you just an avid fan?

Have been scouting AAA for years, with an OHL team, agents and such.

It would have been tougher for him I think last year then it should be for McDavid this year.

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
mcdavid dominates minor midget as a 97 born. 96 is suppose to be a stacked class and its a '97 who steals the show. I cant believe this kids hockey iq. His performance against the Rebels on jan 17th 2012 was nothing short of breathtaking. 4 points(2g,2a) all of the special variety. His vision and playmaking skills are unreal. He knows exactly what the defense's next move is. This kid is something to watch. He reads everyones mind i think. Knows exactly where Bennett is at all times. Reminds me of 99 and 17.

NHL Fanatic

Oct 4, 2010
GTA
I don't think he was ready last year, too inconsistent. The funny thing is, if Ekblad went back to Minor Midget this year, there would have been a good chance he goes 3rd overall, after McDavid and Ho-Sang.

Regardless he was still dominant and looked like the Marlies best player on many nights as an underager.

Last edited:

Torts

Aug 21, 2009
Ontario
is anyone sure if McDavid will apply for exceptional player status???

as for ho-sang, someone let me know before i think. i just hope he dosnt pull the same stuff some young players do and refuse to report. go to the team that drafts you and help them build towards success.

Tigers1992

Dec 13, 2009

as for ho-sang, someone let me know before i think. i just hope he dosnt pull the same stuff some young players do and refuse to report. go to the team that drafts you and help them build towards success.

He has been very vocal that he will report to anyone who drafts him.

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario

Ken Strong the coach of the Toronto Marlboros is helping Mcdavid apply . So yes im sure he will apply.

Torts

Aug 21, 2009
Ontario
good to hear, glad to see some young prodigies are willing to go further away from home and to smaller markets for the chance to be great.

as for mcdavid, havnt seem him yet, will prolly get to watch him at OHL cup. hopefully the application process goes as smoothly as ekblads did.

Pick Six

@Lafortune_FC
Jan 1, 2009
Mississauga
good to hear, glad to see some young prodigies are willing to go further away from home and to smaller markets for the chance to be great.

as for mcdavid, havnt seem him yet, will prolly get to watch him at OHL cup. hopefully the application process goes as smoothly as ekblads did.

I'm sure it will. But the thing people need to remember is despite the fact McDavid's an exceptional talent on the ice, it doesn't mean he's a shoe-in for exceptional status. Hockey Canada makes players go through a long process, with a lot of attention on the player off the ice. I hope he's accepted, but there's still a lot for him to go through after he applies.

trytobe

Nov 29, 2011
If we're talking Jewish as Israeli then ... 2 (Asia and North America)

But the kid is bound to have some Caucasian in him and Jamaican is just an extension of African so...

Wow.

Not to quibble, but Jamaica is Central America while Chile is South America, so there's an argument to be made that he's got Asia, C. America, S. America covered, plus Africa and N. America by extension.

Jul 6, 2008
GTA
I'm sure it will. But the thing people need to remember is despite the fact McDavid's an exceptional talent on the ice, it doesn't mean he's a shoe-in for exceptional status. Hockey Canada makes players go through a long process, with a lot of attention on the player off the ice. I hope he's accepted, but there's still a lot for him to go through after he applies.

Do you know exactly what kind of off-ice stuff? I assume academics plays a large role but what are the other factors? If anyone has had a relative/friend/child apply for EP or have some sort of knowledge I'd love to hear about it.

Garyboy

Oct 31, 2010
Toronto
Do you know exactly what kind of off-ice stuff? I assume academics plays a large role but what are the other factors? If anyone has had a relative/friend/child apply for EP or have some sort of knowledge I'd love to hear about it.

See where he's at mentally. Is he mature beyond his years? Is he a bit flaky? Does he have a good handle on where he's at, does he come from a good family?

They're looking to see if they think he'll be able to deal with living away from home, playing with players considerably older than him, etc.

Pick Six

@Lafortune_FC
Jan 1, 2009
Mississauga

Pretty well what Gary said. There's an intensive interview process that the players must go through, not unlike when NHL GMs interview players at the combine.

Jul 6, 2008
GTA
See where he's at mentally. Is he mature beyond his years? Is he a bit flaky? Does he have a good handle on where he's at, does he come from a good family?

They're looking to see if they think he'll be able to deal with living away from home, playing with players considerably older than him, etc.

Pretty well what Gary said. There's an intensive interview process that the players must go through, not unlike when NHL GMs interview players at the combine.

Hey! thanks you two, appreciate the responses. Do academics factor in at all or is just based on mental and physical capability?

kellmuff96

Sep 13, 2010
Ho Sang's Toronto Marlies are up 5-0 vs. Michael Dal Colle's Vaughan Kings in Game 1 of the GTHL semi finals at the moment. I guess Ho Sang and McDavid have been dominant so far. No surprise

Marlies and Rebels on crash course for GTHL championship

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Ho Sang's Toronto Marlies are up 5-0 vs. Michael Dal Colle's Vaughan Kings in Game 1 of the GTHL semi finals at the moment. I guess Ho Sang and McDavid have been dominant so far. No surprise

Marlies and Rebels on crash course for GTHL championship

Did Mcdavid or Hosang score or assist on goals? That would be a nice final match-up.
Bennett is really picking up his game. Ill be going to watch game 2 at ice sports

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad