RW Joshua Ho-Sang - Windsor Spitfires, OHL (2014, 28th overall, NY Islanders)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenny Bania

Thats gold Jerry!
Jun 4, 2010
I was actually filming the Marlies-Red Wings game last Friday for the teams, and it was my first chance to see Ho-Sang. To put it bluntly - he absolutely blew me away. True it was the Red Wings they were playing, but the Wings are a mid-tier team in the MM standings this year, so not a bad team (they actually have Claude Lemieux's son on the team).
I cover literally hundreds of games each year, and I can honestly say Ho-Sang is the most talented I've filmed in quite some time at that age. Incredible acceleration, vision, and his hands are as advertised.
One thing you'll notice about most kids at the Minor Midget age is they are still growing into their bodies. Ho-Sang had complete control of his movements, and it's like his stick was an extension of him, which you most definitely cannot say about most kids his age.

Anyway, the game was a 9-1 blowout, and I lost count how many points he had. But I'm impressed, and would pay the price of admission to go see Ho-Sang again. Just my 2 cents ;)

How did Connor McDavid look?

By most accounts, he is every bit as good as Ho-Sang.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
My money's on Kingston finishing last. Though I hope he doesn't go there, but that's another can of worms all together.

I think Erie's going to out-suck the Frontenacs, by a small margin. But even if Kingston finishes last, would they take Ho-Sang? They're notorious for passing on players who might not report (Domi was an exception -- and look how that turned out) and instead opting for "safe" picks.

DetBigWangs

Dec 15, 2009
Finally! For the first time ever, we may have a legitimate Jewish superstar. :handclap:

Let the globalization and multiculturalism of hockey continue. :yo:

If he makes it he will single-handedly globalize hockey. Chinese+Jewish+Jamaican+Hispanic

R U KIDDING ME?!

How many continents is he reaching across there?

Pick Six

@Lafortune_FC
Jan 1, 2009
Mississauga
I think Erie's going to out-suck the Frontenacs, by a small margin. But even if Kingston finishes last, would they take Ho-Sang? They're notorious for passing on players who might not report (Domi was an exception -- and look how that turned out) and instead opting for "safe" picks.

It is looking that way, though both teams have pieces to trade away. I actually don't think Ho-Sang will want to go to either team, nor should he, but as I said before that's for another thread. Hopefully we don't have another MacKinnon thread on our hands.

As for the second part of your comment, Erie also passes on players who won't report; '07 and '11 come to mind right away. Neither are very well-run organizations. I actually love the Domi trade for Kingston and hope more teams man-up and draft talent.

McDavid isn't on Ho-Sang's level. Great prospect, but Ho-Sang does everything at an entirely different speed.

Definitely agree with this. Can't wait to see him play at the Marlies Tournament over Christmas, as I'm sure you know it's the 2nd biggest tournament for OHL prospects (1st if they won't make the OHL Cup).

NHL Fanatic

Oct 4, 2010
GTA
Ho-Sang dominated Minor Midget last year. Didn't look out of place for an underager. I think he deserved exceptional status as well. His speed, vision and skill with the puck is far superior than his peers. As someone said before I agree he needs to work on his decision making. He has elite skills and I would be shocked if he doesn't go number 1 in the OHL draft.

Garyboy

Oct 31, 2010
Toronto
Definitely agree with this. Can't wait to see him play at the Marlies Tournament over Christmas, as I'm sure you know it's the 2nd biggest tournament for OHL prospects (1st if they won't make the OHL Cup).

Check him out at the Whitby Silver Stick Finals starting November 24th. Better tourney than the Marlie Classic. Not watered down, and has Belle Tire and Cleveland as part of the field.

Granlund2Pulkkinen*

If he makes it he will single-handedly globalize hockey. Chinese+Jewish+Jamaican+Hispanic

R U KIDDING ME?!

How many continents is he reaching across there?

If we're talking Jewish as Israeli then ... 2 (Asia and North America)

But the kid is bound to have some Caucasian in him and Jamaican is just an extension of African so...

Wow.

Pick Six

@Lafortune_FC
Jan 1, 2009
Mississauga
Check him out at the Whitby Silver Stick Finals starting November 24th. Better tourney than the Marlie Classic. Not watered down, and has Belle Tire and Cleveland as part of the field.

I'd love to, and if I were back home I definitely would. But I'm out at school in Halifax (stuck with watching MacKinnon), thus won't be able to see him until December. I agree its not as watered down, but some of their OT regulations have cheapened the tournament for me, IMO. I'm looking forward to hear back from some hockey people that I know will be there.

Garyboy

Oct 31, 2010
Toronto
I'd love to, and if I were back home I definitely would. But I'm out at school in Halifax (stuck with watching MacKinnon), thus won't be able to see him until December. I agree its not as watered down, but some of their OT regulations have cheapened the tournament for me, IMO. I'm looking forward to hear back from some hockey people that I know will be there.

Ah shucks. Sorry to hear that. The Marlie/Belle Tire game was great. Ho Sang and McDavid really showed how supremely skilled they are.

The Marlie Holiday Classic unfortunately doesn't have any of the big American squads. They never seem to at the Minor Midget level. The Bantam and Minor Bantams have the powerhouse American squads. Will pay more attention to those.

wahoyaho

Jan 30, 2007
Lame I thought finally we will getting an Asian superstar but it's just a trick

OHLFan8771

Dec 6, 2011
As of now it is looking like the Otters will have the first pick. What is the likeliness of him coming to Erie?

OHLFan8771

Dec 6, 2011
What are the chances of him ending up in Erie considering it looks like they will have the first pick?

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
What are the chances of him ending up in Erie considering it looks like they will have the first pick?

He seems to be the frontrunner for #1 from what I've heard. I am unfamiliar with OHL teams, is errie like the baie-comeau of the ohl? (first overall picks dont report)

Pietraneglo222

Thought he was Korean. I know one who's called Sang-Ho.

OHLFan8771

Dec 6, 2011
He seems to be the frontrunner for #1 from what I've heard. I am unfamiliar with OHL teams, is errie like the baie-comeau of the ohl? (first overall picks dont report)
It is not necessarily that the picks do not show up as much as it is they will pass on players that have a risk of not showing up. The Otters have been bad for years now and a player of his caliber could turn them around. I am just trying to get info on his status about playing for a team such as erie or is he likely to pull a max domi?

Slot 3

exitus acta probat
Nov 2, 2005
Vancouver
Wth, are you Chinese and want to claim a potential future superstar as one of your own or what? Some logic.

Actually, if he was Chinese, his logic would make sense. It's a traditional Chinese belief that "ethnicity," and whatnot, is passed down along the paternal line. Since his grandfather is Chinese, he's unequivocally Chinese in the eyes of Chinese (wow, that sentence doesn't make any sense :laugh: ).

Tigers1992

Dec 13, 2009
It is not necessarily that the picks do not show up as much as it is they will pass on players that have a risk of not showing up. The Otters have been bad for years now and a player of his caliber could turn them around. I am just trying to get info on his status about playing for a team such as erie or is he likely to pull a max domi?

No, hes said the OHL is his destination.

OHLFan8771

Dec 6, 2011
No, hes said the OHL is his destination.
That is good to hear for Otters fans. Many fans would be upset if he refused to play here in Erie. Given your expertise how certain are you he will play for the team he is drafted by and does any one know if he has said he would play for anyone in the OHL and not just the teams such as London, Windsor, Kitchener Ottawa?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad