RW Joshua Ho-Sang - Windsor Spitfires, OHL (2014, 28th overall, NY Islanders)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
How would some of you guys compare him to MacKinnon (in terms of how highly touted they are)?

Never seen him play but in regards to being touted this thread/the article is a good indication, people are saying better than stamkos and hall and the most skilled player since tavares in ontario at that age, so in regards to highly touted i would say hes up there with mackinnon atm

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Finally! For the first time ever, we may have a legitimate Jewish superstar. :handclap:

Let the globalization and multiculturalism of hockey continue. :yo:

Pick Six

@Lafortune_FC
Jan 1, 2009
Mississauga
How would some of you guys compare him to MacKinnon (in terms of how highly touted they are)?

Really hard to compare for me. I've only seen MacKinnon in the QMJHL and at the Canada Games (best on best). Whereas I've only seen Ho-Sang play Minor Midget (Allstate doesn't count).

Despite their many differences I can see Ho-Sang having a MacKinnon-like offensive output next year in the right situation.

bruinsfan46

Dec 2, 2006
London, ON
Stoked to see the kid in the league next year, reading about him makes you wonder if Ekblad wasn't around would Ho-Sang be in the league this year? Minorities are really starting to show up on the hockey scene, last year's OHL draft had four black kids in the top 12 and next year a half-black, half-hispanic jew with a Chinese surname will go first overall.

Last edited:

Tavaresmagicalplay*

Wth, are you Chinese and want to claim a potential future superstar as one of your own or what? Some logic.

Uhhh what? He's chinese.
Interesting logic.

In the article, he says that he mainly identifies with being Jewish, Spanish, and Jamaican. His surname is Chinese because his grandfather was from Hong Kong, but he says that he's actually mostly lost touch with the Chinese part of his background.

That means he's chinese.

The Scouting Report

Oct 2, 2007
Ontario
www.thescoutingreport.org
Ho-Sang reminds me a lot of Matt Duchene. Both players are a little undersized but are stocky and very strong on their skates.

Ho-Sang is explosive, has elite hands and vision, and can basically do whatever he wants when he turns his game up. I would like to see him improve his decision making a bit as he can get pretty frustrated on the ice when things don't go his way, but that should improve in time.

Overall, he's definitely an elite player for the OHL Draft at this point and I'm looking forward to getting some more looks at him as the season progresses.

One thing that is a little unfortunate is that his MM team is so dominant so it's tough to see him in "real" games where the intensity is elevated.

Ringing Iron

May 8, 2011
I'd love to do some further scouting of Ho-Sang and his teammates but finding their schedule has been quite challenging. There are some big tournaments that these MM teams compete in but how can I get ahold of their regular season games?

Anyone care to help?

The Scouting Report

Oct 2, 2007
Ontario
www.thescoutingreport.org
I'd love to do some further scouting of Ho-Sang and his teammates but finding their schedule has been quite challenging. There are some big tournaments that these MM teams compete in but how can I get ahold of their regular season games?

Anyone care to help?

Here is the link to the GTHL Games Centre (It's not the greatest user interface):

http://www.gthlcanada.com/content/?page=Schedule News

You could also email their team manager to get a team schedule.

Ringing Iron

May 8, 2011
Thanks. Found the site earlier but couldn't figure out how to navigate it properly. Now I have.

Cheers

Tigers1992

Dec 13, 2009

Anyone care to help?

As far as big tournaments, SilverSticks in Whitby is the biggest one that is coming up, Nov. 24-27.

The Marlies Classic is from Dec. 26th - 30th in Etobicoke

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
1/8 Chinese.

Despite the fact that English is not my native language it seems like I read better than you.

Wow, you got me! Now you can die knowing that you really have achieved something significant. Take a cookie and enjoy it. It really is 1/8. I'm so embarassed right now, though English isn't my 1st language aswell but who cares? You're awesome!

P.S. Nah, not a big deal. And definately not smth. to brag about.

UkraineTrain

Jul 9, 2010
Ukraine
Wow, you got me! Now you can die knowing that you really have achieved something significant. Take a cookie and enjoy it. It really is 1/8. I'm so embarassed right now, though English isn't my 1st language aswell but who cares? You're awesome!

P.S. Nah, not a big deal. And definately not smth. to brag about.

I didn't mean to offend you. I mean REALLY. Don't be so embarrassed. ;)

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Isn't his last name actually Vietnamese? Sounds more like it, but he is 1/4 Chinese.

And why exactly does it matter? I really don't get why.

BluechipBulletin

Mar 22, 2011
www.bluechipbulletin.com
For those who haven't seen him, he stickhandles like Patrick Kane and Nail Yakupov - he chops the puck back and forth as he skates instead of pushing it like most players do. It helps him be able to make moves quicker, and he usually just toys with defenders.

He's incredibly dominant, and I haven't seen him actually try in a game yet. I've seen him face difficult competition and he plays as if he's just screwing around in warm-up. He's that much better than everyone else. I look forward to seeing his game grow when he faces tougher competition.

The sick thing is that his teammate Connor McDavid isn't significantly behind him in terms of talent or ability, and McDavid is a 97.

McManked

Ooh to be a Gooner
Jan 16, 2011
Edmonton, AB
I've seen him play in the OHL cup last year one year younger than the rest of the kids he was playing.

He really is amazing. Speed wise, I don't know if I've seen a 14/15 year old skate any faster.

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
All the stuff about where his parents are from and the ethnicities he identifies with is interesting.

He looks like the real deal. We'll have to bump that puns thread in a few years :)

derbyfan

Nov 23, 2002
Visit site
I was actually filming the Marlies-Red Wings game last Friday for the teams, and it was my first chance to see Ho-Sang. To put it bluntly - he absolutely blew me away. True it was the Red Wings they were playing, but the Wings are a mid-tier team in the MM standings this year, so not a bad team (they actually have Claude Lemieux's son on the team).
I cover literally hundreds of games each year, and I can honestly say Ho-Sang is the most talented I've filmed in quite some time at that age. Incredible acceleration, vision, and his hands are as advertised.
One thing you'll notice about most kids at the Minor Midget age is they are still growing into their bodies. Ho-Sang had complete control of his movements, and it's like his stick was an extension of him, which you most definitely cannot say about most kids his age.

Anyway, the game was a 9-1 blowout, and I lost count how many points he had. But I'm impressed, and would pay the price of admission to go see Ho-Sang again. Just my 2 cents ;)

HumanCheatCode

Jan 15, 2010
Edmonton
I was actually filming the Marlies-Red Wings game last Friday for the teams, and it was my first chance to see Ho-Sang. To put it bluntly - he absolutely blew me away. True it was the Red Wings they were playing, but the Wings are a mid-tier team in the MM standings this year, so not a bad team (they actually have Claude Lemieux's son on the team).
I cover literally hundreds of games each year, and I can honestly say Ho-Sang is the most talented I've filmed in quite some time at that age. Incredible acceleration, vision, and his hands are as advertised.
One thing you'll notice about most kids at the Minor Midget age is they are still growing into their bodies. Ho-Sang had complete control of his movements, and it's like his stick was an extension of him, which you most definitely cannot say about most kids his age.

Anyway, the game was a 9-1 blowout, and I lost count how many points he had. But I'm impressed, and would pay the price of admission to go see Ho-Sang again. Just my 2 cents ;)

Sounds like you have some video you need to share with us :nod:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad