RW Joshua Ho-Sang (2014, 28th, NYI) III

Status
Not open for further replies.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I like Ho-Sang. For all the talk that you hear or read about his perceived attitude issues, his coaches and teammates are very quick to point out differently. The Islanders coaching staff also came away impressed with his work ethic and ability (it should be noted at the NHL combine, Ho-Sang was one of the best conditioned athletes there, so being in shape definitely isn't an issue and it's clear that he's really focused in that aspect). He's got several things going for him that you can't teach. Great hands, great speed, and he's willing to do what ever it takes to be the best. He also carries a chip on his shoulder as motivation to be the best.

The problem with Ho-Sang isn't hard work or effort...it's his me-first mentality and approach to the game.

He works hard to be the "best player he can be". He's been doing that from a very early age, he's stood out individual skill-wise from a very early age to anyone who has watched him...and there he is now, the "best player he can be". Great. But he's not playing Tennis like his Daddy. Hockey is a team game. Is he really "willing to do whatever it takes to be the best"? Because that's going to mean working hard to be "the best teammate he can be". And that goes a long ways beyond being a funny guy in the locker room. That means cutting out the endless selfish plays on the ice, zipping it on the criticism of anyone and everyone who isn't him, not throwing teammates under the bus with ill thought out comments in the media. A commitment to playing both ends of the ice as though they are equally valuable, deferring to the "smart" play instead of the "i'm the superstar i think i know what i'm doing here let me handle this" play.

It's one thing to think this is a kid who needs to grow up a bit. That applies to a ton of players. The problem with Ho-Sang, is that exact same brand of "do it myself and take all the glory" immaturity has been showcased and fully on display since his Midget days and blatantly apparent to anyone watching. And it still hasn't really changed. And it's now starting to show through in the way he interviews with the national media on top of everything else.

Kid's got a heck of an interesting skillset, and extremely appalling attitude toward the game of hockey.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
kid hasn't opened his mouth in weeks, yet this thread still going strong...

I know, right! If you ask me, it is hockey fans who have the attitude problem. They talk as if they're in the mix, but really when it comes down to it, they haven't got the foggiest...

Helistin

Dustin's equilibrium
Aug 12, 2006
Close to you
I know, right! If you ask me, it is hockey fans who have the attitude problem. They talk as if they're in the mix, but really when it comes down to it, they haven't got the foggiest...

Not really related to being a hockey fan. Most sensible people just don't like whiny blowhards in any enviroment.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Not really related to being a hockey fan. Most sensible people just don't like whiny blowhards in any enviroment.

sure, like the ones that are here in this thread and threads like it, whining about whining...blah blah blah. it never stops. Josh has an opinion and the right to express it...just as the blowhards in this forum.

Helistin

Dustin's equilibrium
Aug 12, 2006
Close to you
Josh has an opinion and the right to express it...just as the blowhards in this forum.

Sure , everyone has right to do that. Haven't seen anyone saying he isn't allowed to do so.
Also it could be a good idea to look up the definition of a blowhard.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Sure , everyone has right to do that. Haven't seen anyone saying he isn't allowed to do so.

I've read quite a lot of "he should just should shut up" and phrases similar to that...so, there are many "hockey fans" who think he doesn't have that right...

If people don't agree with his opinion, they should just say so and then move on....end of story... but what I'm reading of a lot of "blowhards" who believe they have "inside info" as to who Josh is and who he isn't...it borders on the nonsensical.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
But aren't people evoking their rights by expressing their opinion here?

that's not in question. But a vast majority of the opinions expressed here is Josh doesn't have that right. He should "just shut up and leave it on the ice." Which is fine, if that's their opinion, but to that I say, they should just stick to doing what they do best, watching games, commenting on those games and flipping burgers. Don't pretend as if you have some close relationship with these players and know intimate details of their personal lives or their character. 99.98% of us don't know jack**** as to who Josh is or what type of person he is.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Ho-Sang notched 3 points in a preseason win over Plymouth last night. Did anyone catch this game?

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
that's not in question. But a vast majority of the opinions expressed here is Josh doesn't have that right. He should "just shut up and leave it on the ice." Which is fine, if that's their opinion, but to that I say, they should just stick to doing what they do best, watching games, commenting on those games and flipping burgers. Don't pretend as if you have some close relationship with these players and know intimate details of their personal lives or their character. 99.98% of us don't know jack**** as to who Josh is or what type of person he is.
Well, that's just part of being in the public eye.

Felix Unger

Aug 2, 2005
kid hasn't opened his mouth in weeks, yet this thread still going strong...

Evander Kane has never skipped out on paying restaurant bills, and yet the allegations are still repeated. What can we learn about that? (BTW, realize I'm preaching to the choir here.)

Felix Unger

Aug 2, 2005
Kid's got a heck of an interesting skillset, and extremely appalling attitude toward the game of hockey.

This is exactly the kind of histrionic hyperventilating that turns legitimate criticism into something that's a grudge some of us are trying to understand.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Ho-Sang notched 3 points in a preseason win over Plymouth last night. Did anyone catch this game?

yeah but what comments did he make after the game?

Ohhh, and did he selfishly score the points?

who cares bout him being a hell of a hockey player and how many points he racks up.

Nolanitis

Feb 19, 2007
NYC
1 goal 2 assists. That could not be from a selfish player. Must have been deflections of Ho Sang shots. Surprised he did not call out his teammates for touching his shots

NoRaise4Brackett

But Brackett!!!
Mar 16, 2011
Lurking the Boards
Kid just couldn't control his whining. Talking smack because he wasn't chosen, it's no doubt they didn't like his attitude. If he wants to blame someone,all he needs to do is look in the mirror.

What I'd like to hear - if he's just going to "express his opinion" is who's spot he thinks he should have gotten at camp. Don't just say they were afraid, but point out the actual error in their ways and call them on it, don't just whine about it. Comes off as though he is the one who is afraid, afraid to admit his own shortcomings.

17Kurri

Apr 10, 2010
Hockey is still very much a "shut your mouth and play the game" type sport. Personality - good, bad, or otherwise - is not encouraged and begrudgingly tolerated only of push comes to shove.

Brooklanders*

Feb 26, 2012
Kid just couldn't control his whining. Talking smack because he wasn't chosen, it's no doubt they didn't like his attitude. If he wants to blame someone,all he needs to do is look in the mirror.

What I'd like to hear - if he's just going to "express his opinion" is who's spot he thinks he should have gotten at camp. Don't just say they were afraid, but point out the actual error in their ways and call them on it, don't just whine about it. Comes off as though he is the one who is afraid, afraid to admit his own shortcomings.

The same could be said about Martin St. Louis. Talk about whinning?
Guy cried after being left off Sochi team and forced a trade.
How come MSL gets a free pass and Ho Sang is considered an outcast?

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
1 goal 2 assists. That could not be from a selfish player. Must have been deflections of Ho Sang shots. Surprised he did not call out his teammates for touching his shots

Not speaking specifically about Ho-Sang here, but in general a player can still be considered selfish or a "me-first" player even if he's racking up assists as a playmaker. It could be as simple as him playing keep away with the puck for longer than he should, then finally dishing it off for a goal by someone else. Or it could be a situation where the coaching staff insist the team dumps the puck in, but the player decides he'll carry it in every single time, occasionally leading to him setting up a teammate for a goal.

The criticisms of Ho-Sang aren't because he never passes and instead shoots the puck every time. Incorrect, he's actually a very good playmaker. The criticisms are more geared toward him playing an individual game where he'll hang onto the puck in situations longer than he should.

He's improved on this this past season compared to his rookie season, so maybe if he takes another leap this year it won't even apply to him anymore. But the criticisms in the past were about that, not because he liked to shoot on net and never pass.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad