RW Joshua Ho-Sang (2014, 28th, NYI) III

Status
Not open for further replies.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I'm fully expecting Ho-Sang to have a great season points wise. 100 points should be reachable.

What I'm not expecting, but would be happily surprised if it indeed does happen, is for Ho-Sang to smarten up and learn to control himself and take a different approach to his attitude. It would make a HUGE difference to his game and the way he is perceived.

Unless the latter happens, I can't see him getting an invite to the December camp, which is a shame because he has talent a majority of prospective invites don't.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I don't get the hype around this kid. Yea, he's got some nice hands and is a good skater. But his release leaves a lot to be desired. If he pans out, he'll be the next Scott Gomez. But he's got a very high bust factor with the way he plays the game.

Darth Milbury

Feb 27, 2002
Searching for Kvasha
Visit site
I actually agree with you, RR. Ho-Sang was a good reach in the late first round. Has some tools, but some liabilities and the maturity issues. Maybe he'll pan out, probably he won't. Either way, the level of conversation about him here seems disproportionate to his status.

Oh well! Boring off season.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I actually agree with you, RR. Ho-Sang was a good reach in the late first round. Has some tools, but some liabilities and the maturity issues. Maybe he'll pan out, probably he won't. Either way, the level of conversation about him here seems disproportionate to his status.

Oh well! Boring off season.

Most people view JHS as a boom or bust guy. The Isles were in a good position to go for the boom with already securing MDC earlier in the round. So personally, I thought it was a good pick for them.

But I have no issue with HC deciding to go the safer route and go with more well rounded players. Plus, JHS can STILL play his way onto the team. Not all of Team Canada's Olympic team was invited to the summer camp either.

JHS just needs to let his play on the ice talk for itself. I personally think he will have a good year.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Would love to figure out a way to get this kid traded to Oshawa.

I don't think Windsor is going to be that good this year.

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
I reallllllllyyy wanted this guy with the 24th overall pick.

McCann is great, but Ho-Sang has the type of offensive talent that could potentially win Art Ross trophies one day.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

McCann is great, but Ho-Sang has the type of offensive talent that could potentially win Art Ross trophies one day.

I would take McCaan over JoHo. Jared played a very tough role on the Greyhounds and was still PPG player. His character is fantastic and I love his 200 foot game and I believe it will transfer well into the NHL. Before he became assistant GM for Toronto Dubas gave a very nice "detailed" interview/assessment of McCaan's game to one of your Nuck bloggers that painted a pretty nice picture of McCaan's skill set.

There is always more risk as you get further down in the first round but for my money McCaan is a Horvat type who put up just as good a numbers as Bo playing a similar role just as well IMO and did it with 25 pounds less on his frame. when he physically matures I believe he will become a really solid NHL player..

Ho Sang put up more points but he did that playing a differnt role on the Spitfires and is the flashier player but will he be able to produce at the next level when he is asked to play a more complete game? Some prefer the bright shiny, flashy, loud, object but the bust potential is very real and this is a 1st round pick. I get why the islanders are swinging for the fences but I would have taken McCaan (if he had been available) or Kempe in that spot. I think Kempe is going to be a beast for the LA Kings one day.

Last edited:

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005

No. No he does not.

Honestly why are so many people infatuated with this kid? He's a skilled forward with good hockey sense and skating ability, but his shot is far below where it needs and he has a very poor compete level.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast

He has shown nothing, NOTHING, that indicates this in anyway shape or form. I can count dozens of guys from the last 10 drafts who have skills similar/better than him who have close to 0% shot at an Art Ross.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005

I think a consistent top 20 point producer is more realistic for his high end potential then a Art Ross contender.

Bullseyes

Aug 16, 2013
He has shown nothing, NOTHING, that indicates this in anyway shape or form. I can count dozens of guys from the last 10 drafts who have skills similar/better than him who have close to 0% shot at an Art Ross.

Yeah I'm not sure when Ho-Sang went from a prospect who has very good offensive potential to someone who could win an Art Ross. He hasn't done anything to suggest that he could win one of those. Plenty of elite players in the NHL right now haven't gotten close.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Yeah I'm not sure when Ho-Sang went from a prospect who has very good offensive potential to someone who could win an Art Ross. He hasn't done anything to suggest that he could win one of those. Plenty of elite players in the NHL right now haven't gotten close.

This.

Stamkos, Giroux, Datsyuk, Tavares, etc... just to name a few that don't have one in their trophy case.

It's about as accurate as saying "future Norris winner" with pretty much any top dman prospect.
Weber, Suter, Pietrangelo... etc.. 0 combined Norris trophies.

Ho-sang will probably never win an NHL trophy.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Ho-Sang is probably the next... David Perron.

I see him as a Sam Gagner /Scort Gomez hybrid.

The Good:
Skilled with the puck like Gagner, and loves to hold onto it. Great skater like Gomez was, handles the puck well in traffic, and is a good distributors.

The Bad:
Poor shooter and weak 2 way play. Small player who will struggle to translate his style into the NHL like Gagner has.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad