RW Joshua Ho-Sang (2014, 28th, NYI) III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
I reallllllllyyy wanted this guy with the 24th overall pick.

McCann is great, but Ho-Sang has the type of offensive talent that could potentially win Art Ross trophies one day.

Where does this stuff come from? Honestly... The exaggeration on Ho-Sang's talent is ridiculous.

If Ho-Sang survives in an NHL locker room without getting run out of town by his teammates and coaches, he *might* have a career nearly in the same ballpark as Mike Ribiero. A million things have to go right for this to happen. And it won't. Calling him a potential Art Ross winner is an absolute joke.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
I have pretty high expectations for Ho-Sang, if only because of Snow's track record with his 1st round trade-ups. Both Nelson and de Haan look amazing.

Intangiblezz

Oct 21, 2012
Other than having confidence and being "cocky" what is all the negative about this kid? He has all the talent in the world but any little comment he makes is a big deal? Let him prove himself before saying he's a bust.

He reminds me of a forward version of Subban.

jughead42*

Is there any documentation of this anywhere? Have any teammates come out and said he's a bad teammate?

The guy suggested his GM, a respected hockey man who's always supported Josh when criticized, was racist. He'll deke 10 guys just so he doesn't have to pass to a teammate, and he suggested in the press that if he had Connor McDavid's wingers (instead of the guys he's stuck with) that he might also have McDavid production. If you don't think that indicates at least some "me ahead of the team" attitude there's no helping you. Its pretty much well documented that the guy is a tool. He can stickhandle and move around on the ice like few can however, so he's still worth a shot that he'll figure things out.

GTA

Jul 12, 2012
Toronto
McCann is great, but Ho-Sang has the type of offensive talent that could potentially win Art Ross trophies one day.

Maybe someone can clear this up for me, but when I read comments like these (or how much of a force on offense he is) I check his stat sheet and don't see 100+ points like other offensive forces in their draft year... I've seen 'off the charts', 'incredible', and 'unreal' and other words used to describe him...where are the numbers then? For someone to be mentioned as a future Art Ross winner (though guy above is only time I've seen this), shouldn't he have had 120+ points this past year?

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
Maybe someone can clear this up for me, but when I read comments like these (or how much of a force on offense he is) I check his stat sheet and don't see 100+ points like other offensive forces in their draft year... I've seen 'off the charts', 'incredible', and 'unreal' and other words used to describe him...where are the numbers then? For someone to be mentioned as a future Art Ross winner (though guy above is only time I've seen this), shouldn't he have had 120+ points this past year?

Cause he can dangle and make pretty plays.

For many on HF, that is enough to be a future franchise player.

Has a great pair of mitts and is a very good skater, so I think he can make it as a top-six scorer one day. I do not think he has the toolbox to be anything close to a franchise level player.

Plastic Joseph

Unregistered User
Mar 21, 2014

He definitely hasn't performed as well as some think he is capable of, statistically speaking. To put things in perspective he outscored McDavid in Midget 2 seasons ago (McDavid was an underage player though) and was seen as a player who could contribute in the OHL like Stamkos or Hall.

Whoever said that art ross comment is really, really reaching. I can see 80 point potential but anything more than that is absolutely ridiculous to expect. Pat Kane, who is seen as possibly the most skilled player in the NHL right now has topped out at 88 so far. I can't see Ho-Sang topping that.

scott99

May 13, 2005
I think he has a lot of talent and will be in the mix for a top 6 offensive spot for the Islanders in a couple of years. One think he said is right, McDavid played for a stacked team, he got a lot of help offensively. Brady Vail was one of Ho-Sang's linemates, not a great player, has been passed over in 2 drafts I believe. What he did wrong was say that. I think that'll change with maturity. But I'm excited to see him playing on Tavares' or Strome's line one day, should be magical.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto

In the OHL, it's pretty rare for any draft eligible player to hit 100 points, let alone 120. In the last 5 years, 3 players have accomplished it (Yakupov with 100 points and Hall/Seguin with 106 points). Hall and Yakupov are late birthdays, so had an additional year of development. In the last 5 years, 1 player (of all the players in the league) has scored more than 110 points.

This year in the OHL, only 3 players in the entire league hit 100 points and none of them were draft eligible.

Your expectations of the bar someone has to meet to qualify as being a "force on offense" are completely ridiculous.

Last edited:

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
In the OHL, it's pretty rare for any draft eligible player to hit 100 points, let alone 120. In the last 5 years, 3 players have accomplished it (Yakupov with 100 points and Hall/Seguin with 106 points). Hall and Yakupov are late birthdays, so had an additional year of development. In the last 5 year, 1 player (or all the players in the league) has scored more than 110 points.

This year in the OHL, only 3 players in the entire league hit 100 points and none of them were draft eligible.

Your expectations of the bar someone has to meet to qualify as being a "force on offense" are completely ridiculous.

Yakupov actually hit 100 points the year before eligibility, but was on pace to do the same during his draft year (injuries got in the way). But I do think that is besides the point.

While the 120-plus point projection is wild and unfair to Ho-Sang, his question stands: why are some here going so far as to say he will be a future Art Ross winner? In a league where McDavid is about to enter, where Crosby and Geno still have several years to go, not to mention the likes of Nathan MacKinnon, John Tavares, Taylor Hall, Tyler Seguin and so forth, what is it about Ho-Sang's game that suggests he could be better than all of them even in a single season and win the scoring crown?

That is a legitimate question in my opinion.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
Yakupov actually hit 100 points the year before eligibility, but was on pace to do the same during his draft year (injuries got in the way). But I do think that is besides the point.

While the 120-plus point projection is wild and unfair to Ho-Sang, his question stands: why are some here going so far as to say he will be a future Art Ross winner? In a league where McDavid is about to enter, where Crosby and Geno still have several years to go, not to mention the likes of Nathan MacKinnon, John Tavares, Taylor Hall, Tyler Seguin and so forth, what is it about Ho-Sang's game that suggests he could be better than all of them even in a single season and win the scoring crown?

That is a legitimate question in my opinion.

No, I agree with you he's unlikely to ever be an Art Ross winner. It would be a shocker to say the least.

But the point is that he genuinely is a very good player offensively and his draft year output was fairly good (considering Windsor was fairly middle of the road in scoring). People keep pointing to his points production (and where he was ranked in scoring) as though it was some how mediocre, when it was quite the opposite. He led his team in scoring.

There are others who are definitely overrating him though. I think his ceiling is probably similar to Kadri's (not Stamkos)

GTA

Jul 12, 2012
Toronto
In the OHL, it's pretty rare for any draft eligible player to hit 100 points, let alone 120. In the last 5 years, 3 players have accomplished it (Yakupov with 100 points and Hall/Seguin with 106 points). Hall and Yakupov are late birthdays, so had an additional year of development. In the last 5 year, 1 player (or all the players in the league) has scored more than 110 points.

If I gather than he is top 3 in his draft offense based from people's comments, why is 100 points 'completely ridiculous' UsernameWasTaken? We have seen several across the CHL the past few years. I have no idea why you limited your scope to the OHL though...probably to try to manufacture a point. The three CHL leagues are statistically within 0.04 of each other in terms of NHL translation coefficients, so it is appropriate to use all three.
Some of the hyperbole in these threads point to an elite, top of his class (top 3) offensive player, and given there are a couple 100 point players each year (or 100 point pace, ~1.7 PPG and above), and he is nowhere close to that metric, why all the hype?

Last edited:

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
If I gather than he is top 3 in his draft offense based from people's comments, why is 100 points 'completely ridiculous' UsernameWasTaken? We have seen several across the CHL the past few years. I have no idea why you limited your scope to the OHL though...probably to try to manufacture a point. The three CHL leagues are statistically within 0.04 of each other in terms of NHL translation coefficients, so it is appropriate to use all three.
Some of the hyperbole in these threads point to an elite, top of his class (top 3) offensive player, and given there are a couple 100 point players each year (or 100 point pace, ~1.7 PPG and above), and he is nowhere close to that metric, why all the hype?

So, you're admitting you actually have no basis for expecting 120+ points from a draft eligible player? It would have been a bit embarrassing for you continue pushing that one given Stamkos himself had 105 points in his draft year - fewer than the bar you have imposed.

I guess I just don't agree with you that players who go on to be high skilled offensive players in the NHL have to have hit 100 pts during their draft year.

thrillhous

Jan 5, 2006
In the OHL, it's pretty rare for any draft eligible player to hit 100 points, let alone 120. In the last 5 years, 3 players have accomplished it (Yakupov with 100 points and Hall/Seguin with 106 points). Hall and Yakupov are late birthdays, so had an additional year of development. In the last 5 years, 1 player (of all the players in the league) has scored more than 110 points.

Ryan Strome got 106 points in 65 games in 2010/11 as a draft eligible, 1993 born player.

Yakupov got 101 points in 65 games in 2010/11 and wasn't draft eligible yet, being a late 1993 birthday.

But I completely agree with the point you are making, that's the reason so much is expected of Strome and Yakupov offensively. So few players do reach that mark as draft eligible players in the CHL and the ones that have in the last decade or so have almost exclusively turned out to be quality NHLers.

Last edited:

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
No, I agree with you he's unlikely to ever be an Art Ross winner. It would be a shocker to say the least.

But the point is that he genuinely is a very good player offensively and his draft year output was fairly good (considering Windsor was fairly middle of the road in scoring). People keep pointing to his points production (and where he was ranked in scoring) as though it was some how mediocre, when it was quite the opposite. He led his team in scoring.

There are others who are definitely overrating him though. I think his ceiling is probably similar to Kadri's (not Stamkos)

Fair enough, I think Kadri is a good barometer for upside, even if I do not feel he'll get there either.

GTA

Jul 12, 2012
Toronto
So, you're admitting you actually have no basis for expecting 120+ points from a draft eligible player? It would have been a bit embarrassing for you continue pushing that one given Stamkos himself had 105 points in his draft year - fewer than the bar you have imposed.

I guess I just don't agree with you that players who go on to be high skilled offensive players in the NHL have to have hit 100 pts during their draft year.

First off I'm glad you didn't acknowledge and try to further your point of only using the OHL in listing 100+ point players.

The first point you bring up is my 120+ point player comment. That was directed towards the poster who said he should compete for an Art Ross one day. I don't think it is outrageous at all given it is the counterpoint to the hyperbole of suggesting he could lead the league one year. Heck, Reinhart and Draisatl both had 100 point seasons, and no one is suggesting they both could win that trophy. (They could win, of course, however it doesn't seem likely enough to mention it.) I'm not sure why you see the comment as possibly embarrassing given it's context in addressing a ridiculous and equally hyperbolic comment.

I don't understand your second point given that I didn't say or imply that. My thesis is that his numbers don't support the 'off the charts' 'elite' 'unreal' offensive skills some posters have mentioned. That type of description warrants some lofty numbers and the 100+ point season (~1.7 PPG ) was just a general metric that a lot of the top offensive players with similar descriptions achieve, which was not even close to what he showed.

I understand that the prospect game is all about projection, and numbers don't necessarily imply the offensive potential of prospects, at least not in any linear sense, but when we start talking about the very elite, I think there is merit in expecting very high offensive numbers.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
First off I'm glad you didn't acknowledge and try to further your point of only using the OHL in listing 100+ point players.

The first point you bring up is my 120+ point player comment. That was directed towards the poster who said he should compete for an Art Ross one day. I don't think it is outrageous at all given it is the counterpoint to the hyperbole of suggesting he could lead the league one year. Heck, Reinhart and Draisatl both had 100 point seasons, and no one is suggesting they both could win that trophy. (They could win, of course, however it doesn't seem likely enough to mention it.) I'm not sure why you see the comment as possibly embarrassing given it's context in addressing a ridiculous and equally hyperbolic comment.

I don't understand your second point given that I didn't say or imply that. My thesis is that his numbers don't support the 'off the charts' 'elite' 'unreal' offensive skills some posters have mentioned. That type of description warrants some lofty numbers and the 100+ point season (~1.7 PPG ) was just a general metric that a lot of the top offensive players with similar descriptions achieve, which was not even close to what he showed.

I understand that the prospect game is all about projection, and numbers don't necessarily imply the offensive potential of prospects, at least not in any linear sense, but when we start talking about the very elite, I think there is merit in expecting very high offensive numbers.

You indicated that you believed for someone to be considered a 'force on offense' they should have put up 100 points in their draft year. I have already pointed out to you very few prospects accomplish that in their draft year...it's not unusual for players drafted in the top 3 of the draft to have done it (at least amongst forwards), however outside of that it's very rare. There are many NHL players who are extremely good offensively but who didn't hit this arbitrary 100 pt mark you've set during their draft year.

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
I'm watching the Prospects game right now focusing in on JHS. I understand a game or two here and there is not a great indication of a player but he's creating space and setting up teammates all game long. I don't think I've seen him shoot the puck more than twice.

To call him selfish and that he holds the puck too long is just unfair. When he's got players to work with he seems to prefer setting up others rather than doing it all himself.

Nolanitis

Feb 19, 2007
NYC
I'm watching the Prospects game right now focusing in on JHS. I understand a game or two here and there is not a great indication of a player but he's creating space and setting up teammates all game long. I don't think I've seen him shoot the puck more than twice.

To call him selfish and that he holds the puck too long is just unfair. When he's got players to work with he seems to prefer setting up others rather than doing it all himself.

He was noticeable every shift and appeared to back check ok. I am surprised he did not get upset at not being named player of the game! Lol

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
He was noticeable every shift and appeared to back check ok. I am surprised he did not get upset at not being named player of the game! Lol

hahah Right? I think this player is someone who brings out the worst 'group-think' in the posters here. Not many are bothering to watch him or read many of his interviews. Instead they only see the one or two blown up by the media and just hop on the 'selfish Ho-Sang' bandwagon. It's both funny and sad that grown adults would have this kind of mentality against an 18 year old.

When your kid is graduating Highschool, can i stalk his/her social media and then blast it all over CNN that he or she is unfit for a professional job? Imagine the crap your kid will do in college.

People here are so narrow minded sometimes. Maybe that's why Hockey isn't as popular as football and basketball. Imagine if people could *GASP!* speak their minds?

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
hahah Right? I think this player is someone who brings out the worst 'group-think' in the posters here. Not many are bothering to watch him or read many of his interviews. Instead they only see the one or two blown up by the media and just hop on the 'selfish Ho-Sang' bandwagon. It's both funny and sad that grown adults would have this kind of mentality against an 18 year old.

When your kid is graduating Highschool, can i stalk his/her social media and then blast it all over CNN that he or she is unfit for a professional job? Imagine the crap your kid will do in college.

People here are so narrow minded sometimes. Maybe that's why Hockey isn't as popular as football and basketball. Imagine if people could *GASP!* speak their minds?

But its not just some group-think posters here......why did he almost fall out of the 1st round of the draft? Why did 26 NHL organizations take a group-think pass on such a talented kid?

Its both funny and sad that a group grown adults would have the kind of mentality to man crush on a kid who has an inflated opinion of himself? Talk about BSOD (Bright Shiny Object Disorder). :sarcasm:

yea about that NBA thing maybe Josh can learn a thing or two from Tim Duncan who won a championship with the Spurs this season for the 5th time and still managed to remain the ampidamy of class in victory..... how truely boring to have respect for THE PEOPLE YOU PLAY WITH and the guys you compete against.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad