RW Jake Virtanen - Calgary Hitmen, WHL (2014, 6th overall, Vancouver)

Status
Not open for further replies.

17Kurri

Apr 10, 2010
We'll only have a chance at him if we crash and burn yet again. I'm hoping we don't.

Virtanen's got all the tools and if he starts using all of them, there'll be no stopping him. Almost certainly a top 5 pick in '14 right now.

habsrule4eva3089

Nov 22, 2008
Was selected by Zagreb in the KHL Junior Draft. Which is a bit off as I don't see why he'd go to the KHL when he's only 16/17 and still got some developing to do.

He should, he'll play with men. :sarcasm: It's better for his development if you work with the logic of poster named Vorky :laugh: Jokeushka moy drug if you read this lol

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
on the hlinka invite list. obviously nothing's guaranteed, but it would be a jawdropper if he doesn't make the team.

i know the past year was a bit of a headache for him - he had the privilege of being #1 overall in bantam draft - but by the time he got to calgary it was a very competitive team, and no doubt that affect his usage a bit.

...can someone comment on what we can expect in the coming year. it's his draft year - and this past year aside, i'm sure he'll be given more opportunities this coming year (yes??).

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
Just checked hockeydb and saw his stats this season weren't the greatest, I'm just curious to know what this is attributed to seeing as he's considered a top 5 pick next draft. It looks like the Hitmen had a very good season so is it just a matter of playing on a team stacked with veterans, which would ultimately limit the amount of minutes Virtanen would play?

herashak

Mar 24, 2013
Just checked hockeydb and saw his stats this season weren't the greatest, I'm just curious to know what this is attributed to seeing as he's considered a top 5 pick next draft. It looks like the Hitmen had a very good season so is it just a matter of playing on a team stacked with veterans, which would ultimately limit the amount of minutes Virtanen would play?
yeah had to work his way up the lines on a good team next year he will be a beast, he is already able to throw his weight around easily. and has speed to burn dmen. dont know who people were comparing him to but maybe evander kane?

Oct 15, 2008

He played behind some vets, but you need to see Virtanen play to appreciate what he brings to the table. It isnt going to show up on hockeydb.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast

16 goals and 18 assists is an extremely impressive 16 year old season

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
Virtanen has the best shot I ever seen.

Really? From what I've seen it's not very accurate. It looks heavy though.

I'm most impressed with the way he uses his size to keep control of the puck.

Anthony Mauro

DraftBuzz Hockey
Oct 3, 2004
www.draftbuzzhockey.com
He's going to have to develop alot more in the skill department to maintain his high ranking. He's a bit stiff for my liking as a top pick right now. Very solid frame, heavy hitter, good skating, and a great shot.

puckfan13

Jan 18, 2010
This is a BODY and a competitor. Just going to the net alone he is going to rack more points up this year.

Another former Hitman in Andrew Ladd, but playing even heavier, is what could be in store for this kid..

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
213lbs now.... he's going to be a fun player to watch next year.... finally another getzlaf/ladd on the hitmen!

Wtf..Where did you see this? He is massive, but to gain 23 lbs in such a short time can't be too good for you...

arsmaster*

Wtf..Where did you see this? He is massive, but to gain 23 lbs in such a short time can't be too good for you...

Hockey Canada website. Updated measurements on all kids who made the team. I'd link it if not on mobile.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
I'm really looking forward to seeing him (to the extent I can) and hearing about him this upcoming year.

From what I understand, his usage/ice time, etc last year was impacted to a large degree by the fact the Hitmen were pretty competitive and had strong and vet players.

Can any Calgary fans (or WHL watchers) comment on how they think he'll be employed on the team this year and what we can reasonably expect from him?

also - i'm tentatively projecting him as a top-10 nhl draft pick this coming year...but like i said, i haven't seen a ton of him (and have otherwise just watched YT stuff)...and am biased favourably towards him b/c what i've seen i really, really like...and, lol, i guess haven't seen enough to let cynical negativity set in :laugh: is top 10 a reasonable projection?

Skip2myBordyloo

Stay the course
Apr 7, 2010

23 pounds for a 16 year old kid in puberty isn't as much as you may think.

i put on 20 pounds or so in a year with 0 weight training during the time.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
I'm really looking forward to seeing him (to the extent I can) and hearing about him this upcoming year.

From what I understand, his usage/ice time, etc last year was impacted to a large degree by the fact the Hitmen were pretty competitive and had strong and vet players.

Can any Calgary fans (or WHL watchers) comment on how they think he'll be employed on the team this year and what we can reasonably expect from him?

also - i'm tentatively projecting him as a top-10 nhl draft pick this coming year...but like i said, i haven't seen a ton of him (and have otherwise just watched YT stuff)...and am biased favourably towards him b/c what i've seen i really, really like...and, lol, i guess haven't seen enough to let cynical negativity set in :laugh: is top 10 a reasonable projection?

Last year he was hurt due to a very deep Calgary team. He played mostly 3rd line minutes, with some PP time thrown in. I think this year he'll be on the top line, and first PP unit. As for point totals, I think 55-60 points would be my minimum expectation for this year. I could see upwards of 70 or so, if all things go well.

I think penciling him in as a top 10 pick is a bit premature. He's definitely skilled enough but he'll really need to work on his consistency this year and also will need to interview well all season.

Lucky7

Dec 26, 2008
Does anyone else think Virtanen has a good chance of falling in the draft (rankings)?

For me, I think he can be a riser... I see him be picked in the 4th-5th position right now. Potential is there.

Nylander
Ekblad
Reinhart
Virtanen
McKeown

Lucky7

Dec 26, 2008
Really? Yeesh. I don't see that at this point in time.

Maybe it's my poor english that is confusing....

I mean,

Right now, I have him 7th but I can see him going in the top 5 if he have a good season, because he have a lot of skills!

For sure, if some others guy have a really big season too he will stay around 7-10th...

But that's my point. Maybe I like him more than someone else, but only the time will tell.

arsmaster*

Last year he was hurt due to a very deep Calgary team. He played mostly 3rd line minutes, with some PP time thrown in. I think this year he'll be on the top line, and first PP unit. As for point totals, I think 55-60 points would be my minimum expectation for this year. I could see upwards of 70 or so, if all things go well.

I think penciling him in as a top 10 pick is a bit premature. He's definitely skilled enough but he'll really need to work on his consistency this year and also will need to interview well all season.

He was PKing too. Pretty impressive for a 16 year old. That experience playing behind veterans and earning responsibility from the coaches from learning to play on both sides of the puck will only do him wonders.

I don't think he was "hurt", I think it will only make him a better player.

The part about interviewing well, to me is just tacky, is he a good player? Yes. Does he have top 10 talents and skillsets? Yes! Will an interview drop him in the draft? Probably, but does it make a difference if he ends up being a top 10 player from this class in a decades time? NO.

With Jake, I don't see the interviews being a problem, seems like a pretty decent kid here: http://www.whl.ca/video/index/id/4837d49b546102a596bdbe48abe664b4

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
I have always thought, and alot of people may not agree, but i strongly think Virtanen's stock is going to rise huge and he will be the top player chosen out of WHL in the 2014 draft(yes before Reinhart). His all around game is unreal and is one of the better skaters ive seen. Potential to get huge points and plays hard and dirty. Hes up to over 210lbs now and will keep growing. I know i will probably get some criticism for thinking he will go higher than Reinhart, but I strongly think he will.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad