RW Jake Virtanen - Calgary Hitmen, WHL (2014, 6th overall, Vancouver)

Status
Not open for further replies.
We need an official thread for this kid... #1 overall in the Bantam draft in 2011, will be full time with the Hitmen next season going head to head with another 2014 contender Sam Reinhart. He's been touted as potentially being a better RNH.

He's obviously a good player considering he went 1st in the bantam draft but let's not set expectations too high for him and avoid the "What's wrong with Virtanen?" threads in 6 months. He was only 7th among '96 birthdates in the BC Major Midget League in scoring and 3rd on his own team. Here are his stats from this season compared to the two players who you mentioned in their major midget years.

Jake Virtanen 39 17-22-39
Sam Reinhart 34 38-40-78
Ryan Nugent-Hopkins 36 40-47-87

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
he is gonna be unreal... ive seen him play alot over the past few seasons in minor hockey and major midget. I recently saw him a couple months ago and he has grown alot. His dad is huge too. He has the most unreal stride when he skates, plays with a MAJOR edge too. He will be the type of guy in a couple years that will have over 100 points and well over 100 pims every year.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
and by the way he isnt eligable till the 2014 nhl draft... he is only 16 this year so it wont be this next draft, but itll be the next one

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
of course he will make the team... no doubt about it... he will be one of the better players on his team this season as a 16 year old

J Murda

Oct 1, 2008
Calgary, Alberta
I'm more excited to go to Hitmen games than I have been in years. The central division is loaded and the Hitmen are looking really good. I saw Virtanen play in the intersquad game a couple weeks ago and he looked as comfortable as any 19 year old out there. I really enjoy the part of his game where he wants to fight everyone out there and it looks like he will put up some big numbers doing that sooner than later.

lucaseider

Apr 15, 2006
mactown
left wing I believe, with the possible lock out this year, I will be going to lots of hitmen games this year, havent been this jacked for a player on the hitmen since I dunno, getzlaf or ladd.

puckfan13

Jan 18, 2010
Saw him in preseason game vs the Broncos and he didn't completely blow me off the page (he's 16 in one of his first games) but made a few quick, slick plays and was going to the right spots for shots. Excited to see him when he comes through Edmonton.

Aaron Vickers

FCHockey
Mar 4, 2002
Calgary, AB
www.nhlentrydraft.com
In the playoffs he certainly wasn't shy to throw his body around and mix things up.

It's been six months since then, and he's bigger and heavier. He'll still have that edge to his game too, only he'll be able to back it up a bit more (not that he didn't before).

It'll be interesting to see how he performs in his first season. He's got the potential to throw up 30 goals and 60 points and play on the top two lines this year.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
In the playoffs he certainly wasn't shy to throw his body around and mix things up.

It's been six months since then, and he's bigger and heavier. He'll still have that edge to his game too, only he'll be able to back it up a bit more (not that he didn't before).

It'll be interesting to see how he performs in his first season. He's got the potential to throw up 30 goals and 60 points and play on the top two lines this year.

You know how many guys in the last 20 yrs have scored 30 goals at 16 yrs old right?

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
anyone who watches hockey out west have any comments re: Virtanen/Reinhart? (controlling for the fact reinhart is the earlier birth yr, has a yr of jr. hockey already).

for ppl who have projected reinhart as potentially the #1 for 2014, what are the chances that virtanen ends up in the same conversation - or are they different levels of prospects?

this is getting a bit more meta (esp. considering age) - but how prospect/skill wise would you place Barzal re: Virtanen/Reinhart (obviously Barzal is younger/next draft yr...i just mean for those who have watched them all for a while, how does Barzal compare?).

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Predicting that he finishes 2nd in WHL rookie of the year voting behind Seth Jones.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
Can anyone from the Dub crowd provide an update re how he's looking?

His stats line doesn't look exciting - but it's early. Just normal adjustment?

zjh

@ZenonHerasymiuk
Jan 24, 2011
AB88
I see him a lot.

He has had an up and down season so far. Very quiet the first few games, would only be noticeable on 1-2 shifts a game, and was a healthy scratch one night.

Since then he has amped it up. Playing with a lot more
pazzazz. Just a complete beast physically, although at times he tries to do a bit too much with the puck.

He has been getting top 6 minutes the last two games, and deservedly so. Hitmen have 3 games this weekend, I think it's only a matter of time before he breaks out.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
I see him a lot.

He has had an up and down season so far. Very quiet the first few games, would only be noticeable on 1-2 shifts a game, and was a healthy scratch one night.

Since then he has amped it up. Playing with a lot more
pazzazz. Just a complete beast physically, although at times he tries to do a bit too much with the puck.

He has been getting top 6 minutes the last two games, and deservedly so. Hitmen have 3 games this weekend, I think it's only a matter of time before he breaks out.

So sounds like basic 16 yr old stuff...just getting used to the league, no?

Oct 15, 2008
So sounds like basic 16 yr old stuff...just getting used to the league, no?

I dont think so.

He is already physically dominating players older and bigger than him.

He is so strong.

I wouldnt worry one bit about his numbers.

This kid has talent and is one of the strongest kids I have seen for his age/size.

He is going to be very, very good.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
I dont think so.

He is already physically dominating players older and bigger than him.

He is so strong.

I wouldnt worry one bit about his numbers.

This kid has talent and is one of the strongest kids I have seen for his age/size.

He is going to be very, very good.

Good to hear. By "basic 16 yr old stuff" i didn't mean he wasn't doing well - i meant it wasn't surprising he wasn't going ppg.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
line is 3 pts in 10 games (3g - 10 gms).

the hitmen are tied for first in the eastern conference.

has anyone seen how he's doing - is this basic transition stuff?

jfb392

Jul 7, 2010
I only saw him against the Oil Kings on the Sportsnet game last week.
At that point he only had one goal on the season but I made a point to look for him.
He didn't look to be getting a ton of ice time and made sure to keep his shifts fairly short.
He showed off his speed though and was always hustling; if a defender hesitated with the puck behind the net, he was seemingly on them immediately and wasn't afraid to make contact.
He also used his speed effectively on the rush with and without the puck.
One negative that I did notice was that he tried to handle the puck a bit too much at full speed; don't know if it was just a nerves thing or what.

Overall though, I came away with a good impression of him and he looks like he could be a force sooner rather than later as long as he gets the opportunity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad