RW Jake Virtanen - Calgary Hitmen, WHL (2014, 6th overall, Vancouver)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raimo Sillanpää

Mar 11, 2003
Espoo, Finland
Mika Zibanejad was actualy going to play for Finland until there was something bureaucracy that didn't allow him to play for Finland. You never know what gonna happen but i think that chances are very slim for Finland getting Jake Virtanen.

If he wants to play for Finland, then the elephant in the room is SA-Int.. (compulsory military service)

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
4g, 4pts 13gp.

How is he looking at this point?

Just saw one game. He wasn't dominate or really that noticeable but you can see that he has alot of impressive tools. He did have good skating and flashes of very crafty stickhandling. Overall, played solid against the Giants and a good prospect to look out for.

GuillaumeLetsundress*

noticed he wasnt in the lineup tonight? whats up with that

Oct 15, 2008
Could be resting or maybe has a nagging injury. I think Calgary has had a bit of a bear of a schedule lately. Players are probably tired.

sbtatter

Feb 27, 2005
He played in Brandon Sat night, but was invisible. The WK's were also invisible the first 2 periods, 9 shots:amazed:

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
not fantastic so far. he's young...*but* - he was the #1 pick in the bantam draft; '14 is his draft yr; and he currently has 5 pts (4g 1a) in 19 games.

the '14 draft will be competitive - ekblad, reinhart, ho-sang, etc.

obviously the transition into jr. hockey can be tough...but hopefully he can pick it up big time.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
not fantastic so far. he's young...*but* - he was the #1 pick in the bantam draft; '14 is his draft yr; and he currently has 5 pts (4g 1a) in 19 games.

the '14 draft will be competitive - ekblad, reinhart, ho-sang, etc.

obviously the transition into jr. hockey can be tough...but hopefully he can pick it up big time.

I am also surprised by his lack of production in points and the amount of ice time he gets (which is top 6 + 1st PP line), but you can clearly see that the kid has some serious talent. This might be weird, but one area I would like to see an improvement on is his shot (which is already good), but he can make it to the point of lethal.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
I am also surprised by his lack of production in points and the amount of ice time he gets (which is top 6 + 1st PP line), but you can clearly see that the kid has some serious talent. This might be weird, but one area I would like to see an improvement on is his shot (which is already good), but he can make it to the point of lethal.

i get that every kid needs time to transition into jr hockey - but even w/ that, in light of the fact he hasn't been injured, his #s raise eye brows. maybe falling into "alex forsberg" zone?

Oct 15, 2008
Much different player than Forsberg.

Virtanen has man strength.

Its 19 months before his draft.

Its a little silly to be handwringing about his box cars right now.

TMLife*

Auston Matthews
Jun 16, 2010
Victoria, BC

I've been to 4 hitmen games this year and I can pretty much guarantee that he wasn't getting more than 12 minutes a game except in the last game I saw him in against kootenay he had around 16. A big problem of his seems to be when he changes. He doesn't pick optimal times to change imo

zjh

@ZenonHerasymiuk
Jan 24, 2011
AB88
I can also say that there have been very few games where he has been getting top 6 minutes. He is a fun player to watch, and similarly to Lazar, he brings lots of different aspects to a game. Not the defensive presence that Lazar is, but his physical package and strength in combination with his puck talent is exciting. Would like to see him produce more, but at this point he is just a depth player for the Hitmen

puckfan13

Jan 18, 2010
i wasn't comparing the two as players - i was referencing the fact that both were #1 whl/bantam draft players...and their respective performance..and potential draft standing...is what it is.

Its harder to project WHL draft picks, drafted at 14 vs. 15 makes a big difference. The later the better obviously, I'm sure you see better success rates in OHL and Q drafts.

UvBnDatsyuked

Apr 30, 2005
Was his speed so much higher than everyone else at bantam that it isn't as huge of an advantage now and is taking some adjusting to?

Oct 15, 2008
i wasn't comparing the two as players - i was referencing the fact that both were #1 whl/bantam draft players...and their respective performance..and potential draft standing...is what it is.

Which is what?

Given the choice Im more inclined towards Virtanen. His game will be more transferable to the nhl. You only seem to be looking at the stat sheets, which only tells part of the story.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I've been to 4 hitmen games this year and I can pretty much guarantee that he wasn't getting more than 12 minutes a game except in the last game I saw him in against kootenay he had around 16. A big problem of his seems to be when he changes. He doesn't pick optimal times to change imo

The games I've seen against top opponents (Oil Kings, Raiders, etc.) he was being switched back forth between 2nd line and 3rd, but definitely was getting top minutes on the powerplay, so IMO he should have more points than he does.

I can also say that there have been very few games where he has been getting top 6 minutes. He is a fun player to watch, and similarly to Lazar, he brings lots of different aspects to a game. Not the defensive presence that Lazar is, but his physical package and strength in combination with his puck talent is exciting. Would like to see him produce more, but at this point he is just a depth player for the Hitmen

Actually I was going to say that as well, he reminds me a lot of Lazar. Totally agree that Lazar has the better defensive game, but Virtanen's offensive game is much better than Lazar's.

i get that every kid needs time to transition into jr hockey - but even w/ that, in light of the fact he hasn't been injured, his #s raise eye brows. maybe falling into "alex forsberg" zone?

Not at all, Virtanen has some serious, serious talent. He is one of the most creative players with the puck I've seen in a long time. He might not be #1 discussion, more of a top 10 player, but that is too early to tell.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Seems as though he has been playing shorter minutes from what I have seen maybe 10-13 a night if I am guessing. He has a great tool box though. You can tell he is still adjusting, he doesn't have that snap-second decision making that you need but I think that will come with time.

He is also very strong on his skates which will help his game translate. He doesn't seem like the has the best hockey sense though, not bad just not as good as I had expected. It will probably take him a little longer to adjust because of that.

I think we will have to wait until next year to see if he will love up to some of his potential. Seems like a very athletic player though.

zjh

@ZenonHerasymiuk
Jan 24, 2011
AB88
In reply to Oilspill, his speed instill top notch and he beats defenseman wide quite consistently

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad